Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Upgrade question from a KX

I currently have a Pentax Kx, DAL18-55mm, DAL55-300mm and a pentax 50mm f1.4.

I'm looking to upgrade in May. I have the K500, K50, K5iis and K3 in mind. I am back and forth between those cameras.

Things I can live without:
-Weather sealing ( never had it so wont miss it)
- 8.3fps (the 4.7fps of the KX was hardly utilized)
- Shutter speed of 1/8000 ( hardly used past 1/2000)

Thinks I want (not necessarily need) :
-24MP sounds great, better quality and more room to edit and be anal about every detail.
-Remotely controlling the camera with the flu card (I know I can just use the 12s self timer if I have to)
-High quality LCD
-Better AF in Low light
- Less noise at Higher ISO ( I do use Topaz Denoise)
- Sharper Pictures ( Does removing the AA filters make a significant difference in sharpness, or is it hardly noticeable?
-Super High Quality of the K3 ( every review I've see states that the picture quality of the K3 is miles better than the other pentax cameras. wondering if its that good)

which ever camera I buy would affect the lenses I buy because my budget is around $1300.
Lens:
- Sigma 17-50 or Tamron 17-50 (this is a must, no matter what camera)
- Tamron 90mm macro ( would be nice to have a macro lens, not sure how much use it will get )
- Tamron 70-200 f2.8 ( i hardly use telephoto lenses, but it would be nice to have for events)

BTW Photography is just my hobby, i enjoy taking photos and that's just it. I do take jobs from time to time tho.

you can check out some of my photos on Facebook or on Flickr.

03-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since it sounds like you want a higher-resolution sensor, unless you want to switch brands, I'd recommend waiting for whatever will replace the K-50. It's bound to come out this year and I'm sure it will feature the K-3's sensor, or at least something with a higher resolution than 16pm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Usually the thinking is digital camera models get replaced by newer/better ones every couple years but lenses are a long term investment--so if lenses are important to you--spend the money on lenses. 2 years from now the $1000 pentax will be $400. Or put another way that $1000 pentax model of 2 years ago is now $400. (e.g., K-5 seems like a steal now),
03-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since it sounds like you want a higher-resolution sensor, unless you want to switch brands, I'd recommend waiting for whatever will replace the K-50. It's bound to come out this year and I'm sure it will feature the K-3's sensor, or at least something with a higher resolution than 16pm.
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Usually the thinking is digital camera models get replaced by newer/better ones every couple years but lenses are a long term investment--so if lenses are important to you--spend the money on lenses. 2 years from now the $1000 pentax will be $400. Or put another way that $1000 pentax model of 2 years ago is now $400. (e.g., K-5 seems like a steal now),
I'd also say wait on the body for now. If you absolutely must, and can't wait, don't go higher than the K-5 IIs. But that will still keep your camera body out of balance with your lens collection (not enough spent on the lenses).

QuoteOriginally posted by shylock Quote
which ever camera I buy would affect the lenses I buy because my budget is around $1300.
Lens:
- Sigma 17-50 or Tamron 17-50 (this is a must, no matter what camera)
- Tamron 90mm macro ( would be nice to have a macro lens, not sure how much use it will get )
- Tamron 70-200 f2.8 ( i hardly use telephoto lenses, but it would be nice to have for events)
I think you're right on track with what you need for your lenses, but it's going to take most of the $1300 (a much better way to use the money, if at all possible):

1) I think the Tamron 17-50 is better than the Sigma (this isn't Sigma's optimal lens), as long as you get a good copy of the Tamron. As you say, you definitely need this lens or something like it. (I think the DA*16-50 is still a better lens than the Tamron, but not enough to be worth the price difference on a tight budget). Approx. $300 used.

2) Get the Cosina 100/3.5 (or a similarly priced older macro - but the Cosina's good) instead of the Tamron 90, especially if you're not sure how much you'll use the macro. I sold my Tamron 90 - it's one of Tamron's better lenses, but it was too much money for not enough improvement over the Cosina. If I was going to go better I'd rather go all the way to the D FA 100 WR (and I did - I kept the Cosina and added the 100 WR). You'll get much better ROI if you save money here and apply it to #3 (below) instead. Approx. $75-150 (used, of course)

3) I'd opt for a used DA*50-135 here if you can. But the Tamron 70-200 is a decent 2nd choice (although the IQ is more inspiring on the DA*50-135). This is where it's worth stretching your money, rather than on #1 or #2. In any case, you definitely need something like one of these lenses ASAP. I kept my K-x until after I'd acquired a number of better lenses like the DA*50-135, and it made all the difference in my photos. (If you get the DA*50-135 you'll happily sell the DA55-300, because it's not that strong over 135mm. Eventually you'll look toward a *300 lens if you need the length. But if you let SDM worries scare you, you'll be missing out on the best Pentax has to offer). Approx $600-800 (?) for one of these used.

03-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax Kx, DAL18-55mm, DAL55-300mm and a pentax 50mm f1.4.
I've got all three

My 2c:
Body: go with the K-5IIs. It seems a classic, and price is good nowadays. Excellent low-light images plus top low-light AF, good resolution, great handling. K-3 is good, but 2x the price....

Lens: yes, Tammy 17-50 is great (I have that too). But my 1st sample was bad, 2nd sample excellent, so make sure you verify the copy you get and choose a respectable seller that has a good returns policy. An alternative to the Tammy may be the (new model) Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. By all accounts, it's a very sharp, modern lens with faster AF than the Tamron. It may even be cheaper than the Tammy 17-50.

Agree that a fast 70-200 will be very useful. Any of the 70-200's from Tamron or Sigma will do you well. Very handy for sports, events etc. An essential part of your kit. Also often cheaper than a Pentax 50-135, excellent as that lens may be.
03-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a tough decision right now for what we know is likely coming - the mid-grade version of the K3 and the K3's scheduled price drop.

That said, a K5IIs and a nice lens would be a good combination. It's a huge jump from the Kx, for sure.
03-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
You should also consider K-30. It's almost identical to K-50.

Personally I would go for K-3 if I had the money, or K-30 if on a tight budget.

03-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
My Kx is about 4 years old, and the AF switch isn't working properly. If I switch it to manual focus it will take about 15 mins of fiddling with the switch to get it back into autofocus. my 15-55mm and 55-300mm has fungus, but it does not affect the picture quality (at-lest I hope). My 50mm is the newest and it's clean. Im looking to replace the 2 lenses and get rid of them or just keep them strictly on the KX.

If I were to wait for the K50 replacement it would be about $800 to $900 when it is released. that almost as much as the k3 now.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've got all three

Lens: yes, Tammy 17-50 is great (I have that too). But my 1st sample was bad, 2nd sample excellent, so make sure you verify the copy you get and choose a respectable seller that has a good returns policy. An alternative to the Tammy may be the (new model) Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. By all accounts, it's a very sharp, modern lens with faster AF than the Tamron. It may even be cheaper than the Tammy 17-50.

Agree that a fast 70-200 will be very useful. Any of the 70-200's from Tamron or Sigma will do you well. Very handy for sports, events etc. An essential part of your kit. Also often cheaper than a Pentax 50-135, excellent as that lens may be.
The reason i'm leaning towards the sigma is because of the silent focusing compared to the Tammy. I'm not sure about the 50-135 because i'm stepping down from a 300mm zoom, I was even wondering if 200mm was enough, but I was going to compensate for that with cropping, seeing that I will have more MP to play with.

I set my budget at around $1300 because thats what the K3 and the sigma/tamron would cost (somewhere around there)

also would you suggest buying in a store or online. I Live in the Caribbean and most of my shopping is done online, but ill be travelling to the US in May, so that is when I want to get the camera. It will give me a chance to test out the cam before I buy it and make returns alot easier if something was to happen. its also going to save me big time because the duties here are 50% so ill end up paying $1500 for the body alone if I was to ship it now.
03-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If I were to wait for the K50 replacement it would be about $800 to $900 when it is released. that almost as much as the k3 now.
I think your options and prices will be just as good or better in May, except the K-5 IIs may be mostly sold out. No great loss if it is - it's just a body. But I didn't realize your K-x was malfunctioning, so you probably need something.

my 15-55mm and 55-300mm has fungus, but it does not affect the picture quality (at-lest I hope). My 50mm is the newest and it's clean.
The reason i'm leaning towards the sigma is because of the silent focusing compared to the Tammy. I'm not sure about the 50-135 because i'm stepping down from a 300mm zoom, I was even wondering if 200mm was enough, but I was going to compensate for that with cropping, seeing that I will have more MP to play with.
I sounds like lens storage is critical in your climate - hopefully you've already looked into a dry box or another solution to that problem.

The DA55-300 is a good lens for the money. But if you look at the images critically, I think you'll see that between about 135mm and 300mm the images from it aren't all that exciting. At least that's what I noticed from mine (and this should be expected, for the price). I couldn't find a single image that I really liked from it in that range. In comparison, images from my K200/2.5, the DA*200, or my F*300 are routinely really nice. So what's the point of the DA55-300 then? The DA*50-135 will cover the same range with the best IQ available in a zoom (and almost as good as primes - you won't notice the difference unless you're consciously trying). You're not stepping down when you currently don't have anything great in that range. I'll bet you that a crop from the DA*50-135 will be as good as anything the DA55-300 can put out.
03-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Probably not- the K-50 launched at $699 and with the market as competitive as it's become, launching an upper entry-level camera any higher than that would be suicide. With that said, if you can swing a K-3 at $900, I would go for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
I'm looking at either the K5iis or the K3 and the sigma 17-70C. I really hope the price of the K3 drops by may, but I doubt. With the k5iis its just a 4MP bump but with the K3 its 12Mp. The price is the only deterrent.
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed.......But the 16mp is good enough for me....

---------- Post added 03-14-14 at 07:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
on't go higher than the K-5 IIs
K-30 is no slouch either
03-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter

K-5iis for about $500-600. Tamron 17-50 for about $275. That leaves about $425-525,which might get you a Tamron 70-200.

Last edited by dansamy; 03-14-2014 at 04:41 PM.
03-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #14

Original Poster
Wow .... The more I post the more confused I get. If I can locate those lenses for that price, ill go for it .... I monitor the used market often for good deals. I just want to beable to take really sharp pictures.

N why don't people make AA filters ..... Just like they do uv filters to screw onto the lens. Is tht not possible ?

I'm also looking for a good camera bag (not included in the budget). A side bag ( is there one tht can be converted to a back pack? )

Are there compact tripods that can fit into a camera bag and can still be extended to almost the length of a standard tripod ? I don't want to be walking around with a tripod in my hand on my trip, pluss traveling on the plane with it might be a hastle.
03-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter

You can definitely find the K-5iis & the 17-50 for around those prices. The 70-200 you'll probably have to stalk eBay until you get one. Patience being the virtue that it is...