Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

ISO noise - pentax K10D is good?

hello :-)

at the moment i have a bridge (sony h2) and now i want a reflex so i can make photos also when light is low.
i' m casual shooter (no professional) but i'm finding a good product. i usually use Jpeg !! (no raw).

i like a lot Pentax and i like k10d: very good viewfinder, a lot of button on the case, a lot of function...
but i saw in the web some examples and i think that k10d is not good in low light because in the photos i see a lot of ISO noise in 1600 iso level: 400d canon and d40 nikon have not a lot of noise.

so i ask you more info for my choose. my questions are:

1 - about you, pentax k10d has noise in high iso?

2 - i read that k200d ad k20d (but it is very expensive...) have a "High iso noise reduction" function. this function is also in k10d? this function is really good?

3 - about you, what is the best for high iso (1600):
k100d super, k10d, k200d, k20d and why?
or i must choose a nikon\canon?

i want k10d but i want also have a product without a lot of noise iso...
i'm happy to write in this forum. i'm italian: please if you can, tell me more info in easy english :-)

04-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I can see, the K10D seems noisier than the Canon and Nikon, but not by much. The K20D is better than most cameras. But the K10D with some post processing is quite usable all the way to 1200 ISO for me.
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
As far as I can see, the K10D seems noisier than the Canon and Nikon, but not by much. The K20D is better than most cameras. But the K10D with some post processing is quite usable all the way to 1200 ISO for me.
hello :-)

i cannot buy k20d (very expensive...) :-(

i can choose between: k100d super, k200d, k10d
04-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #4

I'm going to be honest

I own a K10D and a K100D right now and the K100D is a little noticeably better at higher ISO's and can make pretty clean ISO 1600 images. However, the K10D's at 1600 are pretty usable for smaller prints. K20D should be better than either of these.

However, if you plan on doing a lot of low light work then you might want to consider a Canon. I think the 30D and 20D are great values in the used market, often going for less than a K10D used. You'll get better ISO performance unless if you plan on a K20D, in which case the difference is more negligible. More importantly though, the Canon focuses a lot faster in low light, which can really make a huge difference. Pentax's SR really doesn't make up these advantages of Canon in low light, especially if you want to freeze active subjects in which case you would have to use a higher shutter speed, negating a lot of the gains of SR.

In all honesty I do a lot of stage work myself (concerts, etc) and sometimes I really wish I owned a camera with quicker low light AF as it can really have trouble getting a decent lock. Not that my K10/100D can't turn out good pictures in low light (I get quite a bit of great ones), but I could definitely see where the low light AF of Canon would be helpful.

This isn't a bash against Pentax or anything, I love my equipment. But, there are really some relative (keyword here :P) disadvantages in low light I think new buyers should know about if they plan on doing a lot of low light shooting.

04-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have a problem upto iso800 with the k10d. But iso 1600 you'll want some NR after the fact. Buy noise ninja and get the camera you like.
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
very thanks for your comments.
nikon\canon are + clean, but less details.

but, in k200d there is "high iso noise reduction" function (you can select: off, weakest, weak, strong) about you this fuction is good??? is really good?

if this function is good i can choose when i want + clean (- details), but IF this fuction is good...