Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Looking for a DSLR

So I am an utter noob I have been thinking of getting an DSLR for the past month and researching eveything I can find. As I get closer to making a decision, the harder it becomes. So a question.

If you were getting your first DSLR would you wait longer to save up for a used mid-range or because you are a noob, get a camera sooner and get an entry level one.

For me I am currently going between getting a Pentax K-500 with the kit lens or waiting up to a half year and getting a used K5II. A new K-50 runs the same as a used K5II so if I was spending that amount, might as well go for the K5II.

My planned usage is for landscape, wildlife, travel, and night sky photography.

I am not sure I really need the weather resistant body of the K5II (or K-50) but could miss not having the AF points in the viewfinder of the K500

So part of me wants to get something NOW NOW NOW and start playing but part of me wants to save up and get a better body to start with and just play with my Canon SX230HS for the next few months and start learning how to use it better including editing with Lightroom before getting a DSLR.

Thoughs?

03-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really, the lenses are more important than the body. I'd spend a couple hundred in a good used body and invest the rest in lenses. I still use old K-x bodies that do everything I need them to do, and I've been involved in photography for 30 years. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need the latest greatest camera to create quality images.
03-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think a used k-5 could be acquired for about the same price as a new K-500. If I had to do it all over I would have bought my first camera (a K-x) used, that way I wouldn't have lost as much money when I upgraded.

I was really impressed with the improvement in dynamic range when I went from a K-x to my current K-5.

As Gibby said, the lenses are important, but the kit lens can be used to take great photo's especially as you're just starting with a DSLR.
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd say to check out the K10D or the K20D, both are going around for less than $250, check out the for sale threads, some might be listed there too. They really have a lot of features, even if they are a few years old, if you dont need live view or a video mode, i'd say that they would probably be more than enough for a beginner DSLR user.

03-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

A used K-x, K-r, K-30 or K-5 is likely to be a good bet for a first DSLR, and as previously commented invest in decent lenses.

A good lens will last a lifetime, but you are likely to change camera bodies every few years.
03-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I would look for a used K-5 and a DA 18-135. That's a great all-round kit (which is still what I use for travelling). A used K-30 is also an excellent alternative.

After having used the 18-135 for a while you will have figured out what it can't do for you (if anything!), and then it's time to look for other lenses - whether it's wider, longer, faster, whatever. Just blindly buying "good" lenses will quickly become expensive!

The sensible part of me agrees with hmirchev, but seeing the difference between a K10D and the K-5 I can't not recommend getting a K-5. Anyway, the main point is to get a "good enough" body now, and upgrade later if and when you think you need it - and have the money for it.

Whatever you do, buy used whenever you can. It will save you a lot of money.
03-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
I'd say to check out the K10D or the K20D, both are going around for less than $250, check out the for sale threads, some might be listed there too. They really have a lot of features, even if they are a few years old, if you dont need live view or a video mode, i'd say that they would probably be more than enough for a beginner DSLR user.
I agree that the K10D and K20D are great values now. BTW, these bodies do have live view. You can always start out with a used manual focus lens. They are great to learn on and often render better color and sharpness than the cheaper zooms. Just my two cents.

03-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Used K-30 or K-50. Trumps everything and anything before, K-5 included (low-light AF).
03-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I only use the old Taks and i'm happy with the results.
03-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I agree that the K10D and K20D are great values now. BTW, these bodies do have live view. You can always start out with a used manual focus lens. They are great to learn on and often render better color and sharpness than the cheaper zooms. Just my two cents.
I am sorry to drop in without being asked, but K10D doesn't have LiveView. I've bought first a K5, and half a year later i bought K10D (supposed to be for my niece, but left it with me, as she can't be asked with all the hassle, what comes with an SLR). So my point is - better to buy a K5 with a good lens or two. I was really pleased, when i bought my DA50 1.8 and DA35 2.4, after having a kit lens what came with body. They are sharper, focus much quicker and main thing - you learn a lot of composition with prime lenses. I am not even talking about the limited lenses... But at the same time don't throw away your 18-55 kit lens, if it is WR - i take it always with me if the weather forecast is bad.
03-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
As Gibby said, the lenses are important, but the kit lens can be used to take great photo's especially as you're just starting with a DSLR.
Actually the 18-55 kit lens is a pretty decent little lens, IMO.
03-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say that you should especially keep in mind that higher end bodies don't just "make better photos" - they have more controls and more features. These allow a good photographer to take good photos. For a beginner, a new camera always seems overwhelming. That is why its better to start with a low to mid tier camera - its easier to control and understand. When you master it, and when you realize you need features that it doesn't allow, then you get a new, higher end camera.
This holds especially true with the Pentax K-5 and the K-50, since the difference in sensors is almost negligible.
So a K-50 would be a better place to start than a K-5, in my opinion, simply because you will be able to learn faster. If you want to save some more money, try looking for a K-30. You don't want to be one of those people with an expensive camera, but always keeping it in auto mode. (heck, many high end cameras don't even have an auto mode)
03-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would say that you should especially keep in mind that higher end bodies don't just "make better photos" - they have more controls and more features. These allow a good photographer to take good photos. For a beginner, a new camera always seems overwhelming. That is why its better to start with a low to mid tier camera - its easier to control and understand. When you master it, and when you realize you need features that it doesn't allow, then you get a new, higher end camera.
This holds especially true with the Pentax K-5 and the K-50, since the difference in sensors is almost negligible.
So a K-50 would be a better place to start than a K-5, in my opinion, simply because you will be able to learn faster. If you want to save some more money, try looking for a K-30. You don't want to be one of those people with an expensive camera, but always keeping it in auto mode. (heck, many high end cameras don't even have an auto mode)
Curious to know which high-end cameras do not have an auto mode?
03-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nikon's D# line, APSC D### line and D700/800. Canon's 1D and 5D line i think.
03-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
Forum Member

Also note that my K-5ii has many less "automated modes" than my K-50 does since it lacks all but a few of the scene programs and the ones it does have are buried in the menus --- I think that the same is true for the K-3? If so, that would follow that higher end cameras have less automation even in the Pentax lines.