Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Delkin 2.5" screen protector. It has a protection layer that is not glued to the screen, it is held on around the edges only, and can be removed not all that easily, but it can. The think I like about it is that it comes with a shade built in. The shade can be removed when not working in sunlight. Delkin eFilm DU2.5"-M. Delkin Devices - Udma Compact Flash - Digital camera accessories and OEM flash manufacturer. I got mine at London Drugs, in Lithbridge, Alberta, Canada for $25.

04-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I bought a Delkin 2.5" screen protector. It has a protection layer that is not glued to the screen, it is held on around the edges only, and can be removed not all that easily, but it can. The think I like about it is that it comes with a shade built in. The shade can be removed when not working in sunlight. Delkin eFilm DU2.5"-M. Delkin Devices - Udma Compact Flash - Digital camera accessories and OEM flash manufacturer. I got mine at London Drugs, in Lithbridge, Alberta, Canada for $25.
I didn't know you could actually remove the hood. That makes it a pretty good alternative.

Thanks for the information,

Yvon Bourque
04-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I never bothered with an LCD protector until recently, always carried my camer around ready to shoot in a shoulder bag. Recently I noticed that the screen had stsarted to rub on something in my bag, so when I got the K20D I out a screen protector on. Just one of the plastic film ones so far.
04-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
I didn't know you could actually remove the hood. That makes it a pretty good alternative.

Thanks for the information,

Yvon Bourque
It slides to the left about 1/8" and comes right off. Handy sometimes, but the shade is handy at others. It does the job for me. It snaps into place, once you figure out just how to put it back on. Says old fumble fingers - my middle initial is K for Klutz. Dropped the shade into a hot tub yesterday. Oh, well, it seems to be just as weather proof as my K10.

04-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I bought a Delkin 2.5" screen protector. It has a protection layer that is not glued to the screen, it is held on around the edges only, and can be removed not all that easily, but it can. The think I like about it is that it comes with a shade built in. The shade can be removed when not working in sunlight. Delkin eFilm DU2.5"-M. Delkin Devices - Udma Compact Flash - Digital camera accessories and OEM flash manufacturer.
Thank you. Two products I can use, combined. It looks quite handy.

They do not however seem to have a 2.7" version.

I sent them an email asking them to consider adding it to their lineup, and do request than anyone with (or considering) a K200 or K20 do the same.

A lot of emails from Pentax folks here might just be noticed.

Thanks.
04-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

can someone confirm the model numbers for both Giottos and Delkin for a K10D?

I believe the Delkin will be a generic 2.5" for the K10D, since there is no K10D custom shades available:

Pop Up Shade-Universal Shade Black for 2.5" LCDs :: Universal/Point and Shoot Shades :: Pop Up Shades :: Delkin USA

Now the Giottos are offered in 3 different 2.5" sizes... which is the right fit for the K10D?

Giottos | SP8250 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen | SP8250

Giottos | SP8251 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen | SP8251

Giottos | SP8252 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen | SP8252

Thanks guys!
04-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedar Quote
Thank you. Two products I can use, combined. It looks quite handy.

They do not however seem to have a 2.7" version.

I sent them an email asking them to consider adding it to their lineup, and do request than anyone with (or considering) a K200 or K20 do the same.

A lot of emails from Pentax folks here might just be noticed.

Thanks.
There are lots of 2.7" versions. Pick a camera model that has a 2.7" LCD and buy the shade for that camera. It might have Canon in the model name, but it is in fine print
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Giottos | SP8270 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen | SP8270

^ Thats it right?

02-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Factor ACMAXX into your deliberations also. I had one on my K10D, left it on for the buyer, and now have one on my K20D. Not particularly expensive, polycarbonate and extremely resistant, sticks on tightly (but can be pulled off), and has a low-reflection coating.

ACMAXX Products
02-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

do you have the model # for the Giottos? I searched B&H and don't see any for Pentax?
02-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
do you have the model # for the Giottos? I searched B&H and don't see any for Pentax?
I don't think it is specific to any model, you buy it based on screen size alone. So, a K20D takes a 2.7 and that can be found here Giottos | SP8270 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen | SP8270 on the BH photo website.
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Sorry for my English. Reagrding this Giottos screen protector: I use one of this because I thought it's better to scratch a 15 Euro screen protector than the LCD from the camera. I use it for more than half a year and no scratch yet. For placing the screen protector it's no need for hairdryer - only to clean the LCD screen(dust and grease). The hairdryer will be used only for removal - heating the tape band on the screen protector.
02-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Another source for a LCD screen protector

I am quite pleased with my screen protector from Navscreen on eBay. For $7.50, you get 3 screens. It slips on nicely and stays on by static and, after four months, absolutely no bubbles and no scratches. In fact, it is difficult to see that there is a screen protector attached.

3 Screen Protector Pentax Optio E70 M50 K20D E10 K100D - eBay (item 120379324052 end time Feb-18-09 21:47:47 PST)
02-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have two of the Giottos' screen protectors and all I can say is that they work just as you would expect them to work. I will continue to use them over the soft protectors better suited to touchscreens than camera LCDs. No sticking execpt around the very edge, no bubbles to work out from underneath, no degraded image either.
02-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Not meaning to put down anyone who has purchased a Giotto screen protector... but I had to chuckle when I read this:

"Most LCD screen protectors fall into one of two main categories; the plastic stick-on sheet or the flip-up housing. Stick-on sheets are prone to peeling off, bubbling, and have no positive optical qualities...."

In order to justify their product's higher price, they are ignoring another type of plastic screen protector. The type I purchased for $7.50 doesn't suffer from any of these problems. I also have one on my Canon SD600 for nearly three years and it is still clean (with 0 scratches) and free of bubbles (impossible actually because of its relative thickness). Peeling off? No, not a chance! Any thick plastic protector that employs static adhesion will not peel off unless you try to peel it off.

The ebay link I have already shared is for the one I have on my Pentax; which I am very happy with.

But my Canon has one made from this company:
3 Screen Protector Canon A480 XSi 450D Mark III II IXUS - eBay (item 110351072275 end time Feb-16-09 07:21:58 PST)

This is the ultimate screen protect because it also has an anti-glare coating on it (lasting nearly three years now!). I don't have this one for my K20D because I had forgotten about them until I wrote this message. :-( I might say this is better than the Giotto simply because it is less expensive with no loss in functionality or quality.

3 Screen Protector Pentax M50 K110D K10D *ist D DS DL2 - eBay (item 120378688866 end time Feb-17-09 15:05:03 PST)