Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ultimate DSLR LCD monitor "Screen protector"

Hi Pentaxians and friends,

Every once in a while, a product comes out that radically change the market or at least the way we go about something.

We all know how easy it is to scratch the LCD monitor on our digital cameras. I tried half a dozen of screen protectors and all had some kind of problems. Either the plastic sheet would bubble up with trapper air, or would not be perfectly clear. Some would reflect the light so much that I could not see the monitor as well. Letís face it, a thin sheet of film will only protect the LCD screen from minor scratches. The LCD monitor can still crack on impact. Then there the kind of hood protectors that do protect the LCD monitor, but you have to lift the cover after each pictureÖdoesnít work for me.

Finally, last week I found one that really protects the LCD monitor from scratches, breaking of the LCD and has 12 multi-coating layers to reduce reflection and glare.

It is made by Giottos. (They are mostly known for their tripods. Actually, all of my tripods, monopods and tripod heads are from Giottos.) The screen protectors are actually made of real quality glass. So if something hits the LCD, the screen protector will crack instead of the LCD monitor as there is a small space between the monitor surface and the screen protector. That also eliminated the bubble problems. Itís not cheap, $24.00 to $48.00 at B&H Photo. I think itís well worth the money.

They make them in all sizes. I bought two of them for the K20D and the K200D, which both have 2.7Ē LCD, monitor. It comes with instructions and a micro-fiber magic cloth to clean the monitor before installing the screen protector. Most of all, it looks great on the camera.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque
Pentax DSLRs

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 05-31-2008 at 08:43 PM.
04-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up.

I have been looking for a good quality screen protector.

reaching for the old Plastico Fantastico now.

D.
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Let us not forget probably Giotto's most famous product "The Rocket Blower". As most of us own one or know of one who does it is probably the best blower on the market and is one of those "must" have items in your bag. If the screen protectors are anywhere near the quality of the blowers, it has to be a real winner.
04-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Let us not forget probably Giotto's most famous product "The Rocket Blower". As most of us own one or know of one who does it is probably the best blower on the market and is one of those "must" have items in your bag. If the screen protectors are anywhere near the quality of the blowers, it has to be a real winner.
You are correct. I have the Rocket Blower but the screen protectors are the best I have seen yet. There is a 12 layer coating and the screen looks like a Pentax lens with the SMC coating. I am very impressed and that's why I wanted to sahre with other Pentaxians.

04-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #5

I have them on both of my K10D bodies and they're great. One of the bodies went to Pentax repair and came back with the Giotto still attached. No comment from Pentax about it.

Richard
04-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'm new to the Pentax dslr world (k20D], but with my Canon 5D and 20D never had a problem with scratched LCD's.Are the Pentax LCD's a softer compound in that they need an extra protector, or are these protectors more for people who throw their cameras around like press photographers?
04-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I've had one on my K10 for over a year now and it is near perfect. Great product.
04-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Nice find. Is it possible to take these off without injuring the lcd? Wish Pentax would do what my old Konica digital did. It has a perspex lcd cover that could be unscrewed by the user and replaced. Could do the same with glass. Another accessory they could sell.

Hey K10Dbook is it about time to change to K20Dbook? New book due soon?
thanks
barondla

04-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nice find. Is it possible to take these off without injuring the lcd?
Good question!

Up!
04-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nice find. Is it possible to take these off without injuring the lcd? Wish Pentax would do what my old Konica digital did. It has a perspex lcd cover that could be unscrewed by the user and replaced. Could do the same with glass. Another accessory they could sell.

Hey K10Dbook is it about time to change to K20Dbook? New book due soon?
thanks
barondla
Yes you can take it off easily. They give you the instruction for that along with the screen. You actually use a hair dryer and slightly warm the corners and pull it off.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Excellent to have this type of info
As soon as I get my K10D Im investing

cheers
04-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
YYou actually use a hair dryer and slightly warm the corners and pull it off.
This is the part that I don't like, and I don't consider that "easy". Just don't like the idea of using a hair dryer near such delicate heat sensitive electronics (and LCD screen). And one of the users here reported scratched LCD screen in the attempt to take it off.
04-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cloudswimmer Quote
I'm new to the Pentax dslr world (k20D], but with my Canon 5D and 20D never had a problem with scratched LCD's.Are the Pentax LCD's a softer compound in that they need an extra protector, or are these protectors more for people who throw their cameras around like press photographers?
The latter, I think.
04-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #14

I've had my Aegis on my K10D for just four months. It's glass, so it doesn't scratch at all. It just sits there. I would have to warm the edges to remove it but I can't imagine why I'd want to remove it. If I did, I borrow a hair dryer and do it. If it came off easily, I suspect it would come off, easily, when I didn't want it to come off.

I get to shop just once a year so another acquisition I like and have had for four months is the magnifying eyepiece for the viewfinder. It's great and for the first time I can focus manually.
04-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Yes you can take it off easily. They give you the instruction for that along with the screen. You actually use a hair dryer and slightly warm the corners and pull it off.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
No good for taking photos out in the desert then!!

I just wacked a cut down PSP plastic protector on my K20D screen, worked for my istDs.