Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
LOL!

Of course, it's all funny until they start asking "if I use the same camera as you will I get photos just as good"?
Just tell them that when viewed from an airplane, you will not even notice the difference...

03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you can take this pancake from the palm of my hands, Grasshopper, then you will.
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter

"Ooh, that's lovely! What camera do you use?!"

Always reminds me of Penn and Hemingway
03-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Why do sales people always have to be an A**?
Well of course, entirely unintended - thats just an abbreviation!

But our sales assistant did OK didn't he? I mean, he got a sale, and still has the potential to flog some expensive glass. He just responded quickly to his customer's needs - he was quick to find a model that gave our man what he wanted 'out the box'.

The alternative I suppose would have been to try and convince the customer that all the features he didn't understand were actually a good thing for him personally - like they'd help him get better pictures when he did understand it all, so better to buy the expensive one and 'grow into it'.

I mean, should the aa filter simulator have been the rejecting factor for the K3? Is it really just one extra exotic feature that is not good for a 'noobie' ?

03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, our salesperson erroneously told our buyer that the K-5ii AA is automatic. That's incorrect. It's always there, regardless of whether or not he wants or needs it. He doesn't have a choice. With the K-3, he at least has a choice.
03-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is the weakness of the communication coming through - 'automatic' here in reality ( for the K5II aa)means 'fixed', unadjustable - but it was used to imply more like 'you don't need to worry about it' - not the same thing of course.

I guess it was something similar when they spoke about the mode dial on the K5II - here our man was just told some stuff he didn't understand, but also that there were different ways to do the same thing - but without any context or basis to decide.

He had seen the sports mode on the K50, so that was obvious - but without proper explanation of how that mode takes some control over the key settings, the implication for our man was probably that the K50 offered the best way to do it - when in fact a mode like that will probably only provide a nudge in the right direction .
03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I just want M / Av / Tv / B modes ... everything else can be shoved... including those useless fancy "artistic filters"
I love the P mode
03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I love the P mode
Your problem

03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Why do sales people always have to be an A**?
They make money off what they sell........

Not getting into that whole story back when I used to worked for Future Shop
03-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Things used to be so much easier once upon a time.

Assistant: Yes sir, this is the new Pentax K1000. You set this ASA dial here to match the film youíre using and leave it there. Turn this shutter speed dial to 500 or 1000 if you need to capture action, set 125 or 250 for general outdoor use, and go for perhaps 60 or 30 in low light depending on how steady your hands are. Then turn this aperture ring on the lens so that the exposure meter needle in the viewfinder is in the middle of the scale. Youíll learn more about the relationship between aperture and shutter speed and things like depth of field as you gain experience. Now turn this focusing ring on the front of the lens so that the image is clear in the viewfinder. . . and take the photo.

Man: Thatís great, Iíll take it. Why would anyone ever want anything more complicated than that?
That was beautiful. That was the easiest way of remembering the basics of how to use a film SLR I've ever seen. I just printed that for my niece's K1000 cheat sheet.
03-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I love the P mode
I'm with you on this! My AF240z flash works great in P mode!!
03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind that my K20D has all these bells and whistles and setting options and filters and whatnot. I just ignore them. It lives in M mode and it's set to RAW. LCD is set up so that when I play back an image I get the 4 different histograms for the different channels. Green button gets me in the ballpark and I just go from there, keep checking the histogram every now and then to see if the light's changed (as the K20D metering is a bit flakey) and keep on shooting. If the metering was as reliable as my ZX-M I wouldn't even need the histogram at all!
I even leave it in M when I put on my flash, which resets the shutter speed to 180 and I just go from there, usually starting with my aperture at f/5.6 which works in most cases when I'm taking pictures indoor. Flash light can be set to 5 different steps according to the distance I'm working with.

Life's not complicated if you ignore what makes it too complex.
03-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #28

I see many folks with too much money to burn, so they buy themselves or their kid a DSLR simply because they think they will get professional looking shots, but who ultimately get ticked off when the results are hardly better than a p&s. You hear them bemoaning their purchase with phrases like "This camera sucks, I got jipped.".

I butted my nose in on a conversation one time between a customer and a sales clerk. She wanted the DSLR camera to do all the work for her, and for the kind of money she was going to pay, she expected it to. I told her that you don't buy a camera like that so that IT can do it all, but so that YOU can do it all. With a DSLR you're not buying it for automation but for control. Her eyes glazed over, and I just walked off shaking my head.