Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
you're getting yourself confused by overthinking and integrating too many things into a single question.

think chocolate ship cookie dough and cookie cutters. you have a big circle of cookie dough (image circle) - you have 2 cookie cutters (one big rectangle + 1 small rectangle)
if you make a big rectangle cookie, you get more chocolate chips because you have taken more of the cookie dough. if you use the small cookie cutter, you get less chocolate chips because you've made a smaller cookie.

they are both chocolate chip cookies, one is just bigger than the other.

your sensor is the cookie cutter, the cookie dough represents the image circle projected by the lens.
that's the only difference until you start talking equivalency which is a matter of field of view.

so when you ask the question, why do I love my 35mm lens, you have to ask the RIGHT question:

Do I love my 35mm because of its IQ?
Do I love my 35mm because of it's field of view?
Do I love my 35mm because of it's compactness?
Do I love my 35mm because of it's value?
Do I love my 35mm because of its maximum aperture (shall depth of field capabilities)?

Once you answer one or all of those questions, then you can figure out what lens for what sensor size you want to love.
And now unless he has some knowledge about kitchen, you killed him completely

But I love your comment!
Your comment will help me even more when arguing about why I want FF ... because "I just want more cookie man!"

03-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
And now unless he has some knowledge about kitchen, you killed him completely

But I love your comment!
Your comment will help me even more when arguing about why I want FF ... because "I just want more cookie man!"
glad I could help....lol
03-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My short answer is that my FA*24 is now my most used normal-to-wide prime (used on K-5 and K-5 IIs). I use it more than the FA31, FA28, FA20, or DA15.

The reason is a combination of the focal length and the fast aperture (f/2). Of course, the IQ is good too.

So a fast 35mm lens is often ideal on a FF camera, just as a fast 24mm can be ideal on an APS-C camera.
03-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

practically speaking, from my film days, yes 35mm was wide angle, and 50mm was the 'normal' lens. With my APS-c cameras though 35mm is not typically wide enough for me, and I prefer <=24mm for wide angle.

03-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Made for APSC could be that the lens has special coatings to prevent internal reflections - not that the lens length has had its markings pre- converted to the longer measurement.
03-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My voice to the chorus

It does not matter if you use a 35mm Takumar (made in the film era) or a Sigma 35mm (made for APSc); the field of view of both will be the same, regardless of camera used.

You might get some side effects ( like vignetting) when using the Sigma (made for APSc) on a full frame body, but the field of view will be the same.
03-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
15 reasons to love a 35mm
What I get confused about is the 15 reasons.
Would that translate to 21.5 reasons on a crop sensor body?
03-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
What you did there... I see it

Last edited by mrNewt; 03-18-2014 at 06:26 AM.
03-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I suggested earlier that it's equivalent to 10 reasons on a crop sensor. One of us must be wrong, but I can't find an online 'Reason' calculator to compare formats. I think the math behind 'Reason' is just too complex.

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
So, it translates to 10 reasons to love your 24mm, after the crop factor is accounted for.
03-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

[
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I suggested earlier that it's equivalent to 10 reasons on a crop sensor
My bad--you get prior props.
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

[