Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Photo Laboratory?

Is there a tutoral or extra literature out there besides what comes with the software? I'm trying to figure out how to read , understand and use the histogram.

04-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
read this:
Understanding Histograms
hopefully it'll help
regards...
04-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't bother with this software. In my opinion it is a peace of crap. The only thing it can do is to read a Pentax RAW format.
Try using something else. GIMP for example is free image editing software and is very powerful. If you are prepared to pay for a software, than purchase Photo Shop.
04-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

PEF Conversion

Please forgive in advance this question - but if I shoot RAW as recommended, don't I have to open the PEF image in something and save it as a highest quality JPEG before I can use GIMP or Photoshop Elements?

I think I understand that if I buy full Photoshop (not likely because that requires an additional $2000 for a new computer) I can open PEF's native with the update? If I upgrade my OS from Win2K to Win XP I can run Elements 6 - can I open native PEF's n Elements 6?

This has been my complaint against DSLR's - to get a nice final image one has to buy so much more than just the DSLR and learn so much more than just the camera controls.

And then there is printing . . . and scanning . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Don't bother with this software. In my opinion it is a peace of crap. The only thing it can do is to read a Pentax RAW format.
Try using something else. GIMP for example is free image editing software and is very powerful. If you are prepared to pay for a software, than purchase Photo Shop.

04-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

you can open PEF files in PS Elements. You just need to go to the Adobe site, to the plug in page, and find "adobe raw" plug in. Another cool program is Raw Therapee RawTherapee V2.3 released It opens PEF files, and you can do a lot of adjustments with it, and save as jpeg. It's free too !! Here is the interface

04-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #6

Monochrome,
I agree completely. Digital can be/is? a pain in the rear.
Not all software opens PEF files. You need to be Sure before
you buy something.
I just started to look at RawTherapee, which does work.
It has a decent manual to download, but I wish it were even better.
(I want *Manual 101 for Newbies Like Me*)
I believe you can save files as tiff (best way) or jpeg (compressed)
Hope that info helps a bit.
04-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Please forgive in advance this question - but if I shoot RAW as recommended, don't I have to open the PEF image in something and save it as a highest quality JPEG before I can use GIMP or Photoshop Elements?

I think I understand that if I buy full Photoshop (not likely because that requires an additional $2000 for a new computer) I can open PEF's native with the update? If I upgrade my OS from Win2K to Win XP I can run Elements 6 - can I open native PEF's n Elements 6?

This has been my complaint against DSLR's - to get a nice final image one has to buy so much more than just the DSLR and learn so much more than just the camera controls.

And then there is printing . . . and scanning . . .
For my needs I don't find using the Photo Laboratory software all that bad. It allows you to make basic adjustments quite easily once you get used to the goofy interface. Once you make the basic adjustments then you can save to JPG or TIFF, and bring that file into your favorite photo editor if it needs more work. I use the GIMP for cloning and other adjustments that I cant get done in PPL.

Another RAW file converter that can work as a plug-in for the GIMP is UFRAW. It's not a bad program either for your basic adjustments, and it will import straight into the GIMP without having to save as a JPG or TIFF first.
04-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

SSE or no SSE

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Another cool program is Raw Therapee It opens PEF files, and you can do a lot of adjustments with it, and save as jpeg. It's free too !! Here is the interface
what is difference between SSE support and no SSE version?

04-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

SSE is a property of your systems Processor. You'd have to have a pretty old system to have a NON SSE processor. So if you have a relatively modern PC, you should be fine with the SSE version. Here is a file that will tell you if you have SSE. Unzip it, and click the "CPU-Z.exe" and look at the line that says "instructions" that will tell you if your Processor has SSE.

here is a screenshot of CPU-Z

Attached Files
File Type: zip CPUZ 1.41.zip (488.1 KB, 96 views)
04-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #10

Monochrome, I currently use Adobe Element 6.0. Adobe has a plug-in called "Camera Raw 4.4" which you can use to convert "DNG" raw files to other formats. I believe it also works as a stand alone program and is free. It will let you make show adjustments to your photographs, so you may want to give it a try.

Adobe also offers their "DNG Converter" which will convert you raw PEF file to DNG. There is a list on the website of all the camera's it supports including the K10D. It to is at no charge and is a stand alone program.

I normally just shoot in the DNG instead of the PEF just to shorten my work flow by one step.