Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #1

Is it worth upgrading K5 to K5iis?

Hello Pentaxians,

My relative keep asking my recent K5. He wants to buy my whole kit. I don't have much lenses.
My recent kit includes K5, Battery grip, Metz AF 58, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM.

I think of K5iis as my next body.

Is it worthy to pay extra for IIS? Is P-TTL error still there with the IIS?
What new things come with the IIS?

Of course, I have to mention lense choice. I choose legendary Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

03-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Resolution is better, and moire is rarely a problem. The rear LCD screen is a bit better. Flash performance is maybe a bit better (I have the Metz 58 AF-1 too).

Autofocus is *a lot* better, especially in low light. For this alone it was worth the upgrade for what I do.
03-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Resolution is better, and moire is rarely a problem. The rear LCD screen is a bit better. Flash performance is maybe a bit better (I have the Metz 58 AF-1 too).

Autofocus is *a lot* better, especially in low light. For this alone it was worth the upgrade for what I do.
I want to be confident while AF-ing. sometimes K5 kills me with its AF. when focus point way further, K5 tells me that "OK, here is a red dot, you are now focused, now shoot".
other major problem is the PTTL. Can't use PTTL because of its randomly overexposure. Using A mode on the METZ, it works good, almost perfect. but in very dim environment, A mode also produces overexposure.

How much improvement does the LCD bring you? is it noticeable difference?
03-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Now that the k3 is out, I would recommend going for it instead of the iis. That would be much bigger upgrade that you'll enjoy every day.

There is a slight difference between the original k-5 and the iis, but you'll only appreciate in certain shooting conditions, I.e. low light or what using primes at wide aperture settings. The LCD is the same, BTW.

03-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Agree, that K3 would be the best choice!

Especially, when there is such a great deal on the K3 now
03-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I completely agree the K-3 would be the better choice, but that wasn't the brief from the OP.
And, BTW, the rear LCD of the K-5 IIs is *not* the same as the K-5. I know you know that Adam, so perhaps you misunderstood my earlier post.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Now that the k3 is out, I would recommend going for it instead of the iis. That would be much bigger upgrade that you'll enjoy every day.
There is a slight difference between the original k-5 and the iis, but you'll only appreciate in certain shooting conditions, I.e. low light or what using primes at wide aperture settings. The LCD is the same, BTW.
03-20-2014, 02:20 AM   #7

I did big upgrade from K5 to K3, so I miss out K5II & IIS.

03-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I completely agree the K-3 would be the better choice, but that wasn't the brief from the OP.
And, BTW, the rear LCD of the K-5 IIs is *not* the same as the K-5. I know you know that Adam, so perhaps you misunderstood my earlier post.
The LCD is the same, it is just that in II/IIs there is no air between the glass and the LCD or something.
03-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
The LCD is the same, it is just that in II/IIs there is no air between the glass and the LCD or something.
Yep. That's the difference. I didn't say it was a *big* difference
03-20-2014, 05:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did this upgrade quite recently and there is noticeable difference regarding AF in low light. In conditions where K5 hesitates and hunts, K5IIs firmly catches focus right away. The AF assist light almost never turns on, and when it does it has a slightly different behavior (a few quick flashes and it locks focus). Although, I haven't checked the pictures taken to actually pixel-peep and see the improvement, but the difference is there. That's my only conclusion so far, didn't notice so much of a difference when it comes to IQ, but again I did not make any tests.
03-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When I upgraded from the K-5 to the IIs, the grip wasn't included in the deal. I love the AF improvement but didn't want the $600 increase in price plus the cost of a grip. Add that on at it was an $800+ price difference for the K-3. I'll check out the Black Friday deals but at this point , the IIs is more than enough for me.
03-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

wait.....hold out for the FF body coming out at the end of the year...
03-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that you guys mention the AF being that much better. I notice it does focus better in lower light, but it still has the huge center focusing point, and tracks about the same as the original K-5.
03-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be facing the same choice myself, and wonder if anyone has a view about the extra weight of the K-3. If find the K-5 so perfect in this regard, that it's a real issue for me.
03-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

K3 Pros
Top notch AF, decent AF tracking even indoors especially with 18-135 Internal Focusing Lens,or a sigma 17-50 2.8 HSM lens
Much Faster operation
Accurate white balance, superb metering
Smaller Autofocus points meaning AF now is much more accurate.

With the insane deals available at the moment, K3 body can be had for approximately $850!! The best APSC DLSR in the market and for that price?? Heck of a deal I say....go get it