Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
The LCD is the same, it is just that in II/IIs there is no air between the glass and the LCD or something.
I was considering the gap-less thing. is it really a flare-less?

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I'm surprised that you guys mention the AF being that much better. I notice it does focus better in lower light, but it still has the huge center focusing point, and tracks about the same as the original K-5.
do you mean that the k5iis pretends to focus on central focus point? I noticed this on my k5. Many times I check twice or triple or whatever times the AF point selector. Because it really loves to catch focus on central point, rather than others.

Hey friend, I see that you have Sigma flash. How is it pairing with your K5iis on PTTL mode? is there any overexpose?

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
K3 Pros
Top notch AF, decent AF tracking even indoors especially with 18-135 Internal Focusing Lens,or a sigma 17-50 2.8 HSM lens
Much Faster operation
Accurate white balance, superb metering
Smaller Autofocus points meaning AF now is much more accurate.

With the insane deals available at the moment, K3 body can be had for approximately $850!! The best APSC DLSR in the market and for that price?? Heck of a deal I say....go get it
Where did you get this price?

03-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksat Tutan Quote
I was considering the gap-less thing. is it really a flare-less?[COLOR="Silver"]
Sadly, no I wouldn't call it flare-less, but it is much easier to see than for example K-01 LCD in daylight
03-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I 've been thinking of posing this question myself. For the type of shooting I do I don't see enough difference to make the switch from the original K5. The K3 is intriguing but I think I'll wait for the next generation (full frame?) before I upgrade again.

Tom G
03-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

do you mean that the k5iis pretends to focus on central focus point? I noticed this on my k5. Many times I check twice or triple or whatever times the AF point selector. Because it really loves to catch focus on central point, rather than others.

Hey friend, I see that you have Sigma flash. How is it pairing with your K5iis on PTTL mode? is there any overexpose?
Regarding the center focus point, it means that the K-5/ii/iis will show focus confirmed if anything within the ( ) on your focus screen is in focus, NOT the square box. That is a real large area.
An example of this is say that you have a bird in a tree. You stick the square center focus point directly on his eye. The camera will lock onto anything in the ( ), not just the square. So the bird's eye may be in focus, or the twig behind the bird may be in focus, or the leaf in front of him may be in focus, etc.
You can test this yourself real easily. Put a black dot on a white piece of paper and try to achieve AF confirmation as the dot gets close and closer to the ( ). You will see how far off center the focus will lock.

Regarding the Over exposure, yes I still get over exposure with bounce flash. HOWEVER, i heard that the latest and greatest firmware fixed this problem. I have not tested out my flash since I upgraded the firmware, so i cannot confirm nor deny it was fixed.

03-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
K3 Pros
Top notch AF, decent AF tracking even indoors especially with 18-135 Internal Focusing Lens,or a sigma 17-50 2.8 HSM lens
Much Faster operation
Accurate white balance, superb metering
Smaller Autofocus points meaning AF now is much more accurate.

With the insane deals available at the moment, K3 body can be had for approximately $850!! The best APSC DLSR in the market and for that price?? Heck of a deal I say....go get it
where can a K3 body be purchased for $850.00
03-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
where can a K3 body be purchased for $850.00
You (left out the question mark, but) have posed a good question. Where indeed?
03-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K3 with expensive price, $1150.......this guy can get $850.....great save!

03-27-2014, 03:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
You (left out the question mark, but) have posed a good question. Where indeed?
ill ad it next time )) but seriously I would like the K3 but cant afford at this time but at $850 I would manage it. my concern is that it would be grey market or from a place that would claim it wasn't in stock unless you went for some kind of upsell.
I am also considering the K5 iis as an upgrade the lack of the AA filter really intrigues me.
03-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
ill ad it next time )) but seriously I would like the K3 but cant afford at this time but at $850 I would manage it. my concern is that it would be grey market or from a place that would claim it wasn't in stock unless you went for some kind of upsell.
I am also considering the K5 iis as an upgrade the lack of the AA filter really intrigues me.
I'm in exactly the same position, and though still wavering will probably go for the K5 IIs. Good luck making a decision--I'm not very good at them, decisions that is.
03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #25

Hello Pentaxians,

My relative keep asking my recent K5. He wants to buy my whole kit. I don't have much lenses.
My recent kit includes K5, Battery grip, Metz AF 58, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM.

I think of K5iis as my next body.

Is it worthy to pay extra for IIS? Is P-TTL error still there with the IIS?
What new things come with the IIS?

Of course, I have to mention lense choice. I choose legendary Tamron 17-50 f2.8.
My first impression after the change was a Faster AF. In low light, the experience is better too. 9 of 10 pics were in focus.
The other imporvement was the sharpness of the image. Without the lowpass filter, the pics look nicer.

Regards!
03-28-2014, 12:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Well you could purchase a 'bundle'/Kit and together it would bring the price of a K3 body to $850 (In the US, I meant!)
Look at this K3 body kit (with freebies worth $500) for $1300. Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530 B&H Photo Video
For someone purchasing 'New' into the Pentax system as the Original Poster of this thread, a K3 body can indeed be had for $850 (If you wish to sell off all the freebies you received with the kit).

Looking at the shrinking market share of DSLRs and cameras in general, the Camera companies can not sell for sky high prices, like 2 years ago. That said, a K3 body only would certainly sell for $600 this 2014 black friday in the US. And thats just $250 cheaper than what you can get it for now

Last edited by danny09; 03-28-2014 at 12:29 AM.
04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In response to the opening question. I just did. Have only been able to take a few sample shots, but I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing so far. The sharpness of which this camera is capable is breathtaking.
04-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want to be confident while AF-ing. sometimes K5 kills me with its AF. when focus point way further, K5 tells me that "OK, here is a red dot, you are now focused, now shoot".
I'm not sure if the OP is still around but...the red dot is NOT focus confirmation. The red dot only indicates the focus location. The green hexagon in the viewfinder is your focus confirmation. This seems to be a common misconception on these forums.
11-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm not sure if the OP is still around but...the red dot is NOT focus confirmation. The red dot only indicates the focus location. The green hexagon in the viewfinder is your focus confirmation. This seems to be a common misconception on these forums.
That is correct. I think you can even switch off those red dots somewhere in the camera menu.