Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #1

Noise reduction not applied to JPEG's?

Hi,
When I take shoots on my camera (K5 + 18-55WR), I see the NR applied on the camera screen.
However, after I have downloaded the jpg files to my computer, it seems that the NR was not applied to the actual JPEG's.. only to the thumbnails...
How can I solve it? I'm sure it is something simple....

03-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure you're just not seeing the noise because of the size of the thumbnail? The full size file is typically more noisy. Even strong NR in camera won't eliminate all noise, but after running it through a desktop denoising software you might get better results (such as topaz denoise).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you sure you're just not seeing the noise because of the size of the thumbnail? The full size file is typically more noisy. Even strong NR in camera won't eliminate all noise, but after running it through a desktop denoising software you might get better results (such as topaz denoise).
Is the Topaz package which is on sale this month what you'd recommend personally for a fairly tech-savvy user new to digital post-processing, Adam? Is there anything much better to complement Lightroom? I'd characterize my user profile as low workflow volume, but with a requirement for very high quality results [landscapes, nature, and such], coming with a practical measure of overall efficiency. Thanks!
03-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Is the Topaz package which is on sale this month what you'd recommend personally for a fairly tech-savvy user new to digital post-processing, Adam? Is there anything much better to complement Lightroom? I'd characterize my user profile as low workflow volume, but with a requirement for very high quality results [landscapes, nature, and such], coming with a practical measure of overall efficiency. Thanks!
Yup, I'd strongly recommend it. Denoise has lots of presets which makes removing noise a breeze, and it does a remarkable job of preserving details (as you'll see in our in-depth review of denoise). I use it when all else fails- i.e. when camera raw's or photoshop's tools are ineffective or would be too labor-intense.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are creating low-volume jpegs of landscapes, I would recommend you save your money. LR has excellent NR & sharpening capabilities. Put your time into learning to use it well. I've published plenty of landscape shots taken with both Pentax and noisier Canon files that were processed using LR.

M
03-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, as Adam said. You can't notice noise in a small thumbnail because.. its small. You can test the NR by taking a photo with NR off and on, while keeping all other settings identical (As well as the scene).
And yes, at 100% every photo will have some noise. Noise will automatically become less noticeable if you print the photo or resize it (to a smaller size - on the other hand enlarging will make the noise more prominent).
Another thing to keep in mind is that noise is not really a big problem. Photographers often obsess over it, but viewers usually don't even notice it. Very few photos get ruined by ISO noise, unless you are going over ISO 3200 (but this also depends on the camera - different sensors and processing engines have different noise performances)
03-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I really like Topaz DeNoise...but you have to be kind of judicious with it. Otherwise your pictures get a plasticky look.
03-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Is Topaz DeNoise better than LR 5 noise Reduction?

03-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can try many denoise programs with demos. NeatImage adjusts noise reduction based on your image which is very cool... but it can have trouble with very busy images and there is no masking available so it applies to the whole image. It has some sharpening options that I really like (Sharpen strongly-out-of-focus images).

Even DxO has a demo that will let you evaluate their 'prime' noise reduction which requires a high-end computer and video card and is pricey.

I've never seen one software that can do it all. There are always certain situations where other software will work better. Topaz is a top-tier competitor.
03-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Oh btw, NR is applied only to jpegs, not to raw files. Except for dark frame/slow shutter NR
03-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Topaz, Neat Image and Noise Ninja all impart a different look to noise reduction, and the decision of whether or not you will prefer that look is pretty much a personal choice. As a matter of workflow efficiency, I tend to rely mostly on LR, but at times a bit of NR finishing at the final stage of processing (Picture Window Pro) provides some fine adjustment. Coming from film ages ago (and mostly Tri-X at that), I tend not to sweat some mild mannered noise. Most of NR programs will allow you to do a trial, and that should help you decide if any of these tools are right for you.
03-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
There is a better means to deal with digital noise than the softwares mentioned. It's called...get a tripod.
03-23-2014, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Actually, Z, it's called... get a tripod... fiddle about... and then shout, "O.K., now, everybody... EVERYBODY, hey! O.K., now, hold very, very still!" ...But I don't know what happens to your software-unassisted ISO when the kids just won't stay velcroed to the carpet. Or what you say to the wide receivers... 😄

Still, I acknowledge the kernel of truth and virtue in your suggestion, naturally!

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 03-23-2014 at 04:09 PM.
03-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Actually, Z, it's called... get a tripod... fiddle about... and then shout, "O.K., now, everybody... EVERYBODY, hey! O.K., now, hold very, very still!" ...But I don't know what happens to your software-unassisted ISO when the kids just won't stay velcroed to the carpet. Or what you say to the wide receivers... ��

Still, I acknowledge the kernel of truth and virtue in your suggestion, naturally!
I have to admit, I was being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud yesterday. I don't obsess over noise too much having gotten started in photography shooting (and still shoot on occasion) film.

I have learned that the quantity of noise is not the only thing that matters, but the quality of how it appears matters too. For example, there is night and day difference between the noise of a K-5 vs. a K20D. With the 20, the high ISO noise looks terrible, as if someone sprinkled the images with pepper. That of the 5 however looks almost film grain like, and can actually be pleasant in an image at times.

I post-process noise with the free software Paint.net (Yes, dot net.), and that does well enough for me.

The other sggestion I would give for dealing with noise, is to get faster glass so you can drop your ISO.