Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This still doesnt explain why i have never seen this with my k10d and have noticed it with almost every set of photos with my k20d. It doesnt make sense to me

04-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

in my humble opinion, there does actually seem to be a difference in the colors in both photos.
from what I can see, #2 from both sets appears slightly bluer....

it also seems that photo #2 from both sets is slightly more exposed...very slightly
if this is true, the colors would be a little less saturated. what i have found is that you begin to lose a little color when you expose a little more....

im not discounting anything you have observed, OP, but could you hook it up with the EXIF? I'm wondering what modes you were shooting in. If you were shooting in manual, you may have a small problem if you were at the same settings between shots.
If you were in a auto or semi-auto mode, look at the exif and see if the exposures for shots 1 and 2 are exactly the same. If you were not in M, dont forget to look at your metering modes.

Also, what format were these shot in, and are the processed or unprocessed?

Mitch
04-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #18

Original Poster
the first set of shots are different exposures. So we should go ahead and throw them out for the purposes of this discussion

the second set however have the same settings exif is:
1/320
f7.1
iso400
pattern metering mode
04-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

ok so we did a little bit of filtering 8

now, i would say that pattern metering might cause a problem too, because it meters over the whole frame and the camera decides for itself. however, the settings are the same.
and the second photo does appear to be slightly bluer than the first.

did you use flash for the photos?
i've learned that some lighting systems may be slightly inconsistent.
for instance, when the bulb fires and all of that energy is pumping through the flash bulb, you may get a slight magenta cast, or green or blue....and it may be different for each pop of the flash.
this is why its pretty important to get a good flash 8)

now of course this would be irrelivant if you didnt use flash, huh?
and it appears that you didnt use flash....

if you did, check in your custom settings. specifically there are two settings:
WB when using flash 1) unchanged 2) flash
for this one, the camera will automatically change to flash WB when using flash...

and the other one is
fine tune when using AWB
hmmm, now that I think about it, that may just be it.
check the 'fine tune' custom setting. i like to have mine turned off so that the camera cant decide to fine tune the AWB setting....

and ya know, i dont have a K20D, so I'm not sure that it has the 'fine tune' setting. but if it does, turn that off and have a test run...

mitch

04-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #20

Original Poster
Flash was not used.
I just turned off fine tuning and will see if that makes a difference. It is interesting, in the custom menu it says fine tuning is for when you have specified the light source and the camera will then fine tune despite the preset source. it seems as though this setting is for all settings other than AWB
04-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I think the best way to check the AWB out is to do a still-life shot - shoot a static scene with a mix of items of different colour, mount the camera on a tripod or as steady as you can handheld, fix the focus and exposure using Manual Focus and Manual exposure.

Sometimes, subtle differences between shots can cause either the metering or the AWB to go to the next higher or lower step. Ever noticed how shots taken seconds apart sometimes have different shutter speeds ?
Have you though of using a gray card? I have done some experimenting with my K10D and found it to be the perfect solution in difficult lighting or scenes with a predominance of one colour.