Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #1

Canon QC also have been QC problem?

Incidently, I just visit to Canon forum, and I'm totally shocked, there's still QC problem (and AF as well) with Canon gear.
So I'm extremely confident (again) there's no perfect system/product. So the wise idea is we should live with any "flaw" product. Our creativity is indeed required to cover/camouflage that "flaw".

Canon Quality Control SUCKS

40D focus issues - anyone get theirs fixed?

Just M2C,
kyrios

04-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes we have to live with it, but that doesn't mean we can't moan and whine about it!
04-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yes we have to live with it, but that doesn't mean we can't moan and whine about it!
That must be an ex-colonial thing, the moaning and whining. That's how we got to be a Dominion in 1867 - we whined to the Privy Council so much they finally gave up and did it. That's the Canadian Way, eh?

On topic, if I had gotten a rotten 16-50, you could have heard my moaning and whining on Saturn.
04-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this Karel Donk is a bit harsh in his conclusions, but off cause people are disappointed getting equipment that is not satisfactory.
But then again it is not a surprise that Canon also runs into problems regarding cameras and lenses.
No real news regarding UV Haze Filters.

But I’m very happy about the link, as also Lloyd Chambers jumps in :
“I would estimate based on my own experience that somewhere between 30-50% of brand new pro-grade lenses have at least mild optical issues, and some, like the 70-200/4 have moderate to severe ones-. Fortunately, in most cases these are correctable with a trip to the service center.

Quality control costs money. Companies price their products based on a number of factors, but QC is a major cost–this is a major reason why a Leica lens costs 3-5X a Canon or Nikon one–you can expect the lens will perform according to specs, with a very very low failure rate.

The other dirty little secret is that the exotic lenses we see today like the Nikon 12-24DX require extremely high precision for their optical designs to be realized (a tiny error on a 100mm lens is very very different than the same error on a 12mm lens). That is the bottom line: Nikon and Canon have superb optical designs, but realizing them requires exacting precision during assembly, and both vendors have clearly opted for low success rates to keep the selling price low.

Solutions: (1) buy 2-3 samples and keep only the best one (in my experience in virtually every case, testing will show differences among multiple samples!), (2) buy used from a trusted party who vouches for the lens, (3) resign yourself to the 4-5 hours it takes to really check a lens out, and to the 3-4 week delay in having the Canon or Nikon service center fix the problem (one trip might not suffice).“

Last edited by Jonson PL; 04-21-2008 at 07:22 PM.
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyrios Quote
So the wise idea is we should live with any "flaw" product.
Yes!
But, if you are little and unnoticed comparing to other big guys, You have to show your best to rise from the ranks. Pentax can't afford to act like C*non.