Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D review (Trusted Reviews UK)

Pentax K20D digital SLR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pentax K20D digital SLR
This is the powerful semi-pro DSLR in the world, and will blow your head clean off.

Pentax K20D digital SLR - TrustedReviews

04-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Those huge file sizes translate directly into image quality, and here is where the K20D really shows its worth. Quite simply it produces the sharpest, most finely detailed pictures of any current semi-pro DLSR.

Yeah baby.

04-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Perhaps DP Review should read that and stop looking down at the Pentax (imho).

Alex
04-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Article:
Using the kit 18-55mm lens supplied, at the longest focal length of 55mm, conventional wisdom says that you need a shutter speed of at least 1/60th of a second for hand-held shooting, so adding four stops to this would give a shutter speeds of 1/8th of a second, but shots taken at this speed show very visible movement blur.
Does this rule of thumb account for the 1.5X crop of the smaller sensor?

I honestly don't know. Because I don't know any rules of thumb. But it seems odd to me.

04-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Yeah. The 1/focal-length of a second, I thought, was for 35mm lenses. So the correct exposure for a 55mm lens on the K20 would be 1/80s, not 1/60.

So if it's blur-free at 1/15, then that's about...four stops.
04-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Yeah. The 1/focal-length of a second, I thought, was for 35mm lenses. So the correct exposure for a 55mm lens on the K20 would be 1/80s, not 1/60.

So if it's blur-free at 1/15, then that's about...four stops.
I don't thing the 1.5x Fov should be considered as this is due to capturing only the center part of frame, the actual focal length is same to the 35mm camera.
So the correct exposure would be 1/60s as mentioned in the review.
04-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wikipedia Crop Factor Link

FLM = Focal Length Multiplier

QuoteOriginally posted by Wikipedia:
The extra amount of enlargement required with smaller-format cameras increases the blur due to defocus, and also increases the blur due to camera motion (shake). As a result, the focal length that can be reliably hand-held at a given shutter speed for a sharp image is reduced by the crop factor. The old rule of thumb that shutter speed should be at least equal to focal length for hand-holding will work equivalently if the actual focal length is multiplied by the FLM first before applying the rule.
I know that many people take Wikipedia with a grain of salt (rightly), so here is another source.
Another discussion on this topic.
QuoteOriginally posted by Earthbound Light Photography:
To be safe, it is probably best to factor in the crop factor when making decisions about hand holding. Multiplying the focal length to obtain the "35mm equivalent" before dividing to get the inverse for your maximum acceptable hand holding shutter speed seems prudent even though you likely can go beyond it if you have steady hands and often could shoot with somewhat lower shutter speeds when using film. To be even safer though you will be even more certain of getting sharp results if you try to stay a stop or so faster than the rule would dictate, regardless of whether you use film or digital.