Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New body for manual focus lenses

I have a K100D which is getting a bit tired and I am thinking of getting a new body - hopefully at the budget end. I have a collection of Takumars which I use regularly (SMC, S-M-C, but mostly Super Taks: 28, 35, 55, 105, 135, 150, 200). The K500D is attractive for its low price, but I see that it does not have autofocus confirm in the viewfinder, and on my K100D I use this when focusing a manual focus lens. I don't necessarily need the weather proofing of the K50D but it does have the autofocus confirm.

So my question is for those who use manual focus lens, is the K500D a good choice or should I sell some lenses and go for the K50D?

As for the K100D, well, I have hazing in the eye piece and I notice that the foam rubber that the mirror slaps against is starting to perish. (There are also quite a few hot pixels noticeable in night shots.) I may choose to have the body repaired and serviced if that would be cheaper, but, if the cost is high a new body may be more prudent.

Richard

03-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It still has the green hexagon to confirm focus in the viewfinder, it just doesn't have those red indicators to show which focus point is being used.

Really any service on a K100D isn't worth it, getting another one in good shape would cost the same or less.
03-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

well this won't help with your question but I was wondering how the 28, 105, and 135 work..are you satisfied with the results? Because I'm thinking about getting them
03-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with @Elliott, not worth the cost of repair at this point. And I believe that with Takumars only center point focus is available so the little red dots showing which AF point is being used is immaterial because you are only going to use the center anyway. The green hex showing AF confirmation is still there.

That said you might look at used bodies such as a k-r or even a k-5, you might find one not much more than a new k-500.

03-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Regardless of the body, I found that getting a properly shimmed special screen for manual focus the best thing that can be done.
03-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
well this won't help with your question but I was wondering how the 28, 105, and 135 work..are you satisfied with the results? Because I'm thinking about getting them
I really enjoy the Super Tak 105/2.8, its sharp and the focal length is nice for the sensor size. I have a S-M-C 135/3.5 but I rarely use it. Again it is sharp, but I much prefer the 105. The Super Tak 28/3.5 I have is an early copy. If I want a wide angle I am more likely to use kit lens than this Takumar.

My opinion - and it is my preference - is of the three go for the 105/2.8.

Richard

---------- Post added 03-23-2014 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It still has the green hexagon to confirm focus in the viewfinder, it just doesn't have those red indicators to show which focus point is being used.

Really any service on a K100D isn't worth it, getting another one in good shape would cost the same or less.
Thanks for the replies. Its quite sad that, but for the eyepiece hazing, my K100 works fine. However its quite unusable like this. I guess its heading for a spares-or-repair on ebay.

I'll look out for used bodies.
03-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my K-50 in November and I love it. However, if you use any screw mount lenses, according to Pentax customer service, with the K-50 in manual mode, there is no way to use the determine exposure using the exposure bar. The same applies for the K-500. I also have a K-01 (also love) and got accustomed to using the exposure bar with screw mount lenses. My understanding is the K-5 family and K-3 will allow use of the exposure bar feature. You may want to call Pentax customer support and ask explicit questions on use of your manual lenses.
03-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
My understanding is the K-5 family and K-3 will allow use of the exposure bar feature.
You can if you use the optical DOF preview.

The K-50/K-500 don't have the DOF preview on the power switch, but it is able to be programmed to a button. I don't know if pressing that button will do the same for the meter or not.

03-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I recently moved from a k100d to a k5iis. While the k100d had a great viewfinder for it's class at the time, the 100% 0.92x pentaprism is a noticeable step up for manual focusing. I believe any of the most recent 'entry level' offerings also share this (k-500/50/30) as does the k5 of course. For tripod work, I'm also loving live view for checking manual focus.
03-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-500 is a great choice. If you don't need the OVF, think of the K-01.

The K-500 is probably better than used K-r, because it would have warranty, better sensor, and focus peaking.
03-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
I really enjoy the Super Tak 105/2.8, its sharp and the focal length is nice for the sensor size. I have a S-M-C 135/3.5 but I rarely use it. Again it is sharp, but I much prefer the 105. The Super Tak 28/3.5 I have is an early copy. If I want a wide angle I am more likely to use kit lens than this Takumar.

My opinion - and it is my preference - is of the three go for the 105/2.8.

Richard
thanks for the reply it looks like i'm gonna get that one haha
03-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I do not have experience with any of the other cameras mentioned but the K5 is not user friendly for manual focus with the stock screen and I agrree with Imd91343 that a special focussing screen will be essential for manual focus
03-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
I do not have experience with any of the other cameras mentioned but the K5 is not user friendly for manual focus with the stock screen and I agrree with Imd91343 that a special focussing screen will be essential for manual focus
I wouldn't say it is essential, but definitely helpful with wider apertures. All DSLRs have the same type of screen, they are meant for brightness not precision.

If you were happy using the original screen with the K100D, you'll be fine with the K-5's screen, they are the same type. The K-5 just has a bigger and brighter viewfinder that will help a lot.
03-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
I do not have experience with any of the other cameras mentioned but the K5 is not user friendly for manual focus with the stock screen and I agree with Imd91343 that a special focusing screen will be essential for manual focus
I don't agree 100% with this. I added an aftermarket screen to my k-x and it was truly needed for me to be able to manually focus with that camera. When I bought the k-5 I assumed I would buy a special screen for it too, but after testing I found the stock screen to be more than good enough except with f/1.4 lenses. For anything f/2.8 and up the stock screen is fine. Of course everyone's eyes are different so YMMV, just wanted to point out the k-5 screen is adequate for me so if you get a k-5 test it out before buying a screen.