Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A strange istDS: Av and Tv modes disappear

I just bought a used istDS as a back up for my K10D. Everything works fine except there is no Av and Tv modes. No matter how I set up the camera, these modes never show up. When I dial to Av the LCD indicates M mode and P mode for Tv. The camera will work as in M and P mode accordingly. I did upgrade the firmware to 2.0.2 version already and checked all settings to make sure nothing wrong.

By now, I just work around to solve this problem:
1. For Av mode: Switch the camera to M or Av and set the AE-L to Tv shift in Custom Settings. Then use the Av+wheel to select the desired aperture value.

2. For Tv mode: Set the dial mode to M and AE-L to Av shift in Custom Settings. Dial the wheel for speed.
But I have to push AE-L button before every single shot for metering. It is somewhat inconvenient for me. Is there anyone ever experiences this weird behavior and any idea how to fix it? Thanks

04-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Got Defective

Your mode dial has got defective. I have had this problem with my *ist D after 4 months of use and the repair centre engineer told me that the metal contacts inside the dial was oxidised!(? just after using for 4 months purchased brand new!)

Get it repaired, they will use contact cleaner to clean up the "rust".

QuoteOriginally posted by xtriky Quote
I just bought a used istDS as a back up for my K10D. Everything works fine except there is no Av and Tv modes. No matter how I set up the camera, these modes never show up. When I dial to Av the LCD indicates M mode and P mode for Tv. The camera will work as in M and P mode accordingly. I did upgrade the firmware to 2.0.2 version already and checked all settings to make sure nothing wrong.

By now, I just work around to solve this problem:
1. For Av mode: Switch the camera to M or Av and set the AE-L to Tv shift in Custom Settings. Then use the Av+wheel to select the desired aperture value.

2. For Tv mode: Set the dial mode to M and AE-L to Av shift in Custom Settings. Dial the wheel for speed.
But I have to push AE-L button before every single shot for metering. It is somewhat inconvenient for me. Is there anyone ever experiences this weird behavior and any idea how to fix it? Thanks
04-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The problem is completely solved

Thanks RH for the input but I figured out the problem with my istDS is not the same as yours. I removed the top of the camera and saw a little wire was disconnected. It took me about 5 mins to solder it back to where it is. And the Av and Tv are rescued. It works like a charm now.

I have to say I love this istDS. I will prefer it to my K10D in some situations:
1. Travel light: This body w/ my set of pancakes is the obvious choice.
2. Pre-A lens: No need to worry about the metering problem any more.
3. TTL flash: It matches excellently with my TTL Promaster flash and saves me big bucks for a P-TTL flash.

Special thanks to Alan Chan for his instruction in removing the istDS top Spot Meter Re-alignment Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com