Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. A thoughtful extension to your previous posting. I'm hoping that the very clever Pentax and Sony engineers will reach the same conclusion and not continue increasing pixel count beyond about 36Mp. I would rather see them concentrate on such things as increasing dynamic range and further reducing noise.

04-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Of course, not all the 16mp Pentax sensors perform equally. A big part of why the K5 had better supposed DR is that the AA was so strong it appeared to have greater shadow depth (2 bits of extra bit depth helped only very slightly by comparison). While I certainly agree from what I've seen the K3 is easily the best in terms of flat-out resolution (at some cost due to just a bit of added noise and associated loss of DR), I think the K-30/01 and K5iis all get noticeably more resolution out of the 16mp sensors than the first-gen K5. The DxO sensor/lens combo ratings bare that out - and it's a significant improvement (as is the K3 yet another step up in resolution).

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 04-01-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Clarification of source of ratings
04-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Evening,

This is an excellent comparison. I took a slightly different approach, that is also available to everyone too. There is a web based image comparison tool located at...I also grabbed the location of the image - which is located at...I used the last stamp image set provided and loaded it into each side of the tool, then using the up/down/left/right maneuvered the image so that the K5 was on the left and the K3 was on the right. I also scaled up the the K5 side, and then moved the images together so that I could use the slider bar to observe the same area of each of the images together. Here is a full and a partial screen grab.

Using your mouse, you can "grab", the green "handle" on the bar and slide it back and forth over a section of the image, thereby being able to compare in real time the same part of the stamp from each of the camera images.

To my eye, there is a slight difference in white balance between the two images. In terms of resolution, they are both very close. I would give the K5 a very slight edge over the K3 in terms of comparing the background of the grid - sharpness and definition. The K3 appears to have just a touch of shadowing. It is really so close that I am seeing it as a toss up. Perhaps its my coke bottle glasses....

Attached Images

04-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I took a slightly different approach, that is also available to everyone too. There is a web based image comparison tool located at...Image scraper and comparator - a BackroomWebDesign.com experiment
What an interesting tool. Many thanks for the link!