Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Cleaned my focusing screen today

I had some particles in the viewfinder of my K20D that were annoying me so I found this helpful link on youtube to remove the screen....pretty easy to do and the dust is gone now.
I actually didn't replace it as in the video because it wasn't necessary.

03-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So how did you do the cleaning?

Steve
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So how did you do the cleaning?

Steve
so I removed the focusing screen and rinsed it with mild soap under warm running water in the sink. After rinsing it thoroughly, I held it between my fingers by the edges only, and let my vacuum cleaner do the drying or sucking...
It actually works pretty well because besides pulling all the water droplets off, the vacuum cleaner suction will also pull the dust particles off.
It isn't perfect...there are one or two tiny spots that I can notice but overall a big difference from before I cleaned it.
03-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can use a dry sensor brush to clean your screen in a few seconds. I've done it many times. Just blow air through it with a rocket blower first to clean and "charge" it. I can't stand to see even a single speck of dust through my VF, so I needed a method that was safe and more thorough than aiming a blower down into the camera, which frequently creates more problems than it solves. I always remove the screen first so that I can see better what I'm doing and what side the schmutz is on.

03-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
You can use a dry sensor brush to clean your screen in a few seconds. I've done it many times. Just blow air through it with a rocket blower first to clean and "charge" it. I can't stand to see even a single speck of dust through my VF, so I needed a method that was safe and more thorough than aiming a blower down into the camera, which frequently creates more problems than it solves. I always remove the screen first so that I can see better what I'm doing and what side the schmutz is on.

I have never had a solid speck of dust in my OVF for one day since buying the gear to clean it, you know that black little blob. Its really small but I don't like it. So away it goes. The most I will live with is a tiny hard to see semi-transparent spot. Those usually go away with time. But...

I am the same way. I use a full kit from Visable Dust, spinning mirror/focus screen brush for the screen of the K-5. I can also wet swab if need be. I have needed less and less maintenance with each generation of Pentax bodies I have owned. My first K10D (really Samsung GX10) focus screen had to be cleaned almost weekly, the sensor monthly it seemed. The K20D improved upon this. Now the K-5 has really improved upon this. I don't think I have wet cleaned it in one year and over 12,000 pics. I think I have only cleaned the focus screened a few (two for sure) times. Don't know how Pentax can make a focus screen needing less cleaning, but IMO they did!

Last edited by jamesm007; 03-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.