Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is difficult. You just don't earn the money to step into Canon/Nikon FF system, wich would make sence. I don't see the biggest advantage to choose another brand aps-c camera, since K-3 can do all those tricks.
Yes I know. this income is not my main cash inflow.

03-25-2014, 02:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksat Tutan Quote
Hehe. $80-150 is less but I leave in a country where average monthly salary is around $400.
And I really am familiar with the Pentax. it's been 5 years since I bought the Kx, which was absolutely excellent body for beginners.
Agree with you there.. I would say, go ahead and do it.. I would pick Nikon over Canon personally though due to the flash ecosystem.

Gotta remember, Pentax is made for the field where large aperture is not required and fast AF system is not a priority too. And these factors are more important in a wedding..

While it is true that there are events and wedding photogs out there who has been successful with a Pentax system, by and large, there are more from the CaNikon camps and that speaks volume.
03-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #18

Original Poster
Hey friends, It is a shame, I changed my mind twice a day like a girl.
I was holding and trying our friends' 7D and 5Diii. I didn't like them. 7D can't catch accurate AF in low light with L24-105, 17-55 f2.8. 5Diii was better. in bright condition, they were fast and accurate. I like when see lots of AF points via viewfinder. 7D produce unacceptable noise when see photos on PC. of course ETTL was perfect on both DSLR. Speedlights were 600ex, 430ex.

So I decided to make decision later to take a good look at K5iis and K3.

What would you choose if you start buying gears from following options:
#1 K5iis + Sigma/Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Grip/flash
#2 K3 body only

It is my current budget can do by now. What would you choose If you were me? The Key of the question is K3 is really big upgrade to choose rather than K5iis with lens and ...?
03-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I frequently shoot events with a K-5 IIs and a K-3 on my double sling. Both work beautifully. AF is a bit more reliable with the K-3, ergonomics are better with the K-3, resolution is better with the K-3, and the double SD card is reassuring if output is critical. The K-5 IIs is still a bloody great camera though.

Do you have any k-mount lenses still?

03-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Nikon D7000. I highly recommend it. It takes beautiful pictures. It has been on loan to a blogger friend since I got my K-3.
I also have a Canon 70D. A wonderful camera that beats the Nikon D7100. I highly recommend it also.
It occasionally occurs to me to sell them both, but then I forget I have them again because I have a K-3.
I have heard the Nikon D800 is fantastic. Just don't try to use it in sunlight.
03-25-2014, 02:45 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do you have any k-mount lenses still?
Nope. Sold every single thing related to the K5. Didn't keep even a AAA battery .
That is why I thought of Canikons.

What would you choose?, You have both of them. K5iis with lens and ... OR the K3 body
03-25-2014, 02:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I wield 2 K30s for events with a tammy 17-50 and metz flash on one, along with a single manual prime (50mm/85mm/100mm) with no flash attached on the other...
It's quite decent enough for me..

You might want to consider that route too.. Haha!

03-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I wield 2 K30s for events with a tammy 17-50 and metz flash on one, along with a single manual prime (50mm/85mm/100mm) with no flash attached on the other... It's quite decent enough for me.. You might want to consider that route too.. Haha!
hehe, Good point. I forgot that there was no PTTL error on K30 and K50. Good point of view and suggestion. Thank you. I miss my Metz Af 58.

Do you have a manual lense? is focus confirmation on k30 accurate?
03-25-2014, 03:03 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what you are looking at, assuming that you are staying with APS-C (sounds like you are), I would go with a K5 II. There just isn't that much benefit going with either the D7000 or 7D over the K5 II. The 7D is getting pretty old at this point and the sensor just doesn't compare to the modern generation of Sony sensors used by Nikon and Pentax. I would add a 17-50 f2.8 lens and a fast 50 prime and your grip and flash.

I'm not sure if you are comfortable buying used gear, but the marketplace has some very reasonably priced items on it and I have always been happy with it.

I wouldn't bother with the K3. I own one and a K5 II and for what you would be using it for, the K5 II is adequate, unless you are planning to print really big.
03-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

hehe, Good point. I forgot that there was no PTTL error on K30 and K50. Good point of view and suggestion. Thank you. I miss my Metz Af 58.

Do you have a manual lense? is focus confirmation on k30 accurate?
Hmm? pTTL error? You mean the screen will display that? Not that i know of but i sure understand how flash works; dragging the shutter speed, riding on the flash EV comp and what-nots so i don't have much issue with flashes so far..

Manual lens? Erm... I have quite a few but i usually bring along my 50mm, 85mm and 100mm.
Oh yes.. I forgot to share with you, i have the Canon ee-S screen from focusingscreen.com installed in the body for the manual lenses so i don't have an issue there.
I have never relied on the AF confirmation for manual focusing, it's always switched off because the focusing screen is THAT good..

You actually see the plane of focus traveling. LoL!
03-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #26
Banned

Photos: Gallery
So I decided to make decision later to take a good look at K5iis and K3.

What would you choose if you start buying gears from following options:
#1 K5iis + Sigma/Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Grip/flash
#2 K3 body only

It is my current budget can do by now. What would you choose If you were me? The Key of the question is K3 is really big upgrade to choose rather than K5iis with lens and ...?
I did one wedding last month. Used K-3 and K-01 and left my K-5 in the bag. So you may think that you need fast AF a lot, but most off the time it is just about anticipating and waiting for the right moment and then just click.

Do you really think they run away so you need any advanced AF-system? K-01 with FA*85mm

(I have to do something about the eyes)

So my advice coming to your budget:
you need a camerabody, a lens and a flash, so the K-5iis is your deal.
03-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #27

Original Poster
Hmm? pTTL error? You mean the screen will display that? Not that i know of but i sure understand how flash works; dragging the shutter speed, riding on the flash EV comp and what-nots so i don't have much issue with flashes so far..
I was meaning the Overexposure problem
03-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I was meaning the Overexposure problem
Hmm... Nope! Actually i do not understand how to emulate that and i have never experienced that though..

I might be wrong, but from what i have observed, those who experienced that issue is because they are never in full manual for the body and i think that is VERY important to do when using flash, FULL manual.
Yes, no auto-ISO, Av mode, P mode, Sv mode, TAv mode, coffee mode, toilet mode or whatsoever..

Simply camera body on full manual and flash on pTTL mode.
03-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #29

Original Poster
no auto-ISO, Av mode, P mode, Sv mode, TAv mode, coffee mode, toilet mode or whatsoever.. Simply camera body on full manual and flash on pTTL mode.
I shoot RAW and in M mode. Maybe you are not familiar with the Overexposure problem of the K5 body. Third party and even Pentax flashes produce overexposure when in PTTL mode. I had a Metz AF58, which is fantastic flash unit. It was perfect in PTTL with my previous Kx, good with K7 and Worst with K5. There were at least two stops of overexposure at wide angle and 0-1 stops of overexposure at 200-300mm focal range.
And I heard K5ii became better in PTTL and K3 is problemless in PTTL. Of course K500, 30, 50 are fine in PTTL mode too.

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 05:46 PM ----------

I have never relied on the AF confirmation for manual focusing, it's always switched off because the focusing screen is THAT good..
Focus confirmation was always working even in MF. It just beeps or focus confirmation light turns on in Viewfinder when I catches focus on central AF point by turning the focus barrel.
My Kx assisted by this feature well with manual lenses. but K7 and K5 are not doing well.
Anyways, I love the green button on K5 that shifts exposure speed automatically when using both A and Manual lenses.

Last edited by Maksat Tutan; 03-26-2014 at 02:49 AM.
03-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I shoot RAW and in M mode. Maybe you are not familiar with the Overexposure problem of the K5 body. Third party and even Pentax flashes produce overexposure when in PTTL mode. I had a Metz AF58, which is fantastic flash unit. It was perfect in PTTL with my previous Kx, good with K7 and Worst with K5. There were at least two stops of overexposure at wide angle and 0-1 stops of overexposure at 200-300mm focal range.
And I heard K5ii became better in PTTL and K3 is problemless in PTTL. Of course K500, 30, 50 are fine in PTTL mode too.

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 05:46 PM ----------

Focus confirmation was always working even in MF. It just beeps or focus confirmation light turns on in Viewfinder when I catches focus on central AF point by turning the focus barrel.
My Kx assisted by this feature well with manual lenses. but K7 and K5 are not doing well.
Anyways, I love the green button on K5 that shifts exposure speed automatically when using both A and Manual lenses.

Hmm... I have never used the K5, only the Kr and then the K30 and perhaps i was "lucky" not having to go through the pTTL pains.. LoL!

Nevertheless, there's a way that you can switch off the focus confirmation in the menu.. I think it's the option "Superimpose AF Points" or something along that line..