Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hmm... I have never used the K5, only the Kr and then the K30 and perhaps i was "lucky" not having to go through the pTTL pains.. LoL!

Nevertheless, there's a way that you can switch off the focus confirmation in the menu.. I think it's the option "Superimpose AF Points" or something along that line..
Just be aware that the red led in the viewfinder are not focus confirmation indicators, they are focus location points. They indicate where focus is/will happen. Do not rely on them to indicate the status of focus. They can be turned off.

The green hexagon is the focus confirmation indicator.
It is down in the status bar with all the other info and cannot be turned off.

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 06:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksat Tutan Quote
I don't know what to choose.
I even think of Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D. There is a huge after market globally, easy to find chance to buy and sell locally.
I know that the Nikon Canon have big body, not weather sealed like K5 series, not good at high ISO, can't beat k5ii at AF-ing in low light.

What do you think? What will you suggest me?
Please give me a reason, why I ought not to choose another brand.
Well, make a list of any features you use. You may find that that alone limits you pretty quickly.
While looking at the same thing myself I've found a few things such as;
- the camera may not do multiple-exposure or if it does it processes each image rather than after all are taken... causing very slow performance.
- the camera may not have intervolometer since they want to sell you a $120 cable to do that.
- the lenses you want may not have shake reduction as an option, especially in the 24-70 range
- weather sealing will likely not be as good
- can you fire remote flashes from the camera or do you need to buy an additional product?
- if their WiFi add-on a reasonable cost or extraordinary (for not much more reliability nor features than EyeFi or Flu-Card)
- sensor cleaning is not as effective (bought my K5 when they came out, haven't cleaned it yet)
- the build may not be comfortable to hold for a long event
- the build may be flimsy. Will the body stand up to being dropped? The K5/K3 likely will.
- are the controls you want easily accessible or hidden in menus
- memory cards - do you need to buy a mix of both CF and SDHC? Or all one type? If mixed, does the camera slow down when using SDHC?

Some are minor but I do use them, and I found when I added them all up, I lost a lot of features to get one in exchange.

03-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #32

Original Poster
Dear Pentaxians,

THank you for being with me these days. I made my last decision and made a purchase. Yesterday was early to post on this thread that I had bought the K5iis, because someone who quoted me had'nt made his last decision yet.
But this morning, he sent me an Email that our deal was done. Deal condition was: $425 for three month old, K5iis body only. Isn't it great deal. I sold my previous K5 for approximately $410.

The low price was not the only reason that I chose the Pentax again. I visited to my friends and tried Canon bodies and went to shops and checked Nikons.

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 09:03 AM ----------

Now, I am going to watch all over on Ebay to get some accessories for it
03-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery
great deal
03-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #34

Original Poster
It is not the one, I bought two replica d-li90 batteries with charger for $18 off Ebay. Seller said it was shipped, I waited two months for them. then Seller issue refund. I bought on Ebay two batteries again and they delivered fine.
After three months, The batteries I bought first is delivered today. So shocking day.

No I can consider Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM.
Is it really better than Tamron?

I think that K5iis' sensor can produce sharper image than k5ii, so I should buy sharper lens for the body.

03-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Wise choice in a K5IIs I'd say! (What else do you expect on a PENTAX board? ) D7100 would also be a great choice, no doubt. The top class autofocus system and wide variety of lenses along with probably the best flash system make Nikon very formidable.
Good luck with your new venture and keep us posted
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
...Canon or Nikon...and never have issues with their cameras.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh you're killing me here! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks!
03-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh you're killing me here! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks!
Glad I could cheer your day Though I think I left the /SARC tag off my post.

03-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #38

I believe if you want to use multiple speedlights in the future then Nikon's CLS would be very hard to beat. Their lighting system is very solid. However Canon just up'd their game too with their new units that contain build it transceiver/receiver.
03-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I have a Canon and a Canon 430 EX 11 flash. The Canon flash is ok....but I don't notice any real difference between it and my Pentax 360 flash.
03-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hmm... Nope! Actually i do not understand how to emulate that and i have never experienced that though..

I might be wrong, but from what i have observed, those who experienced that issue is because they are never in full manual for the body and i think that is VERY important to do when using flash, FULL manual.
Yes, no auto-ISO, Av mode, P mode, Sv mode, TAv mode, coffee mode, toilet mode or whatsoever..

Simply camera body on full manual and flash on pTTL mode.
There is a flash over exposure issue with bounce flash that occurs with the K-5/K-5ii/s that does not exist with the K-30 (or K-50).
I have owned both, and can confirm this.

HOWEVER....with the latest firmware, I can confirm that they fixed that issue with the K-5ii/iis. I do not know if they also fixed the K-5 classic, since I do not own one anymore, but I think they would've.
04-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #41

Glad to know you stick with Pentax.
I use K5 and D800E.
K5 flash problem can easily be overcome by practising to get it right.

I have two suggestions:
1) With the pop up flash, dial the flash exposure compensation to -1.3 to -2.0 during daylight as a fill or while indoor to get the desired DOF with smaller aperture (avoiding overexposing the foreground.
2) With external flash indoors, leave the flash and camera on manual mode and AF on auto-c (will focus for you). Then set your aperture to f4 while manually set your ISO to 200-400 and use your shutter speed to control the ambient light (1/20 to 1/60 handheld).

With any camera system (Nikon included), the camera may not get the correct ambient exposure (though subject is well exposed). It is your practice with your gear that will get the picture right.

There is no problem with printing big (3 feet) with K5 shots provided you get adequate light.

All the best!
04-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #42

Original Poster
I made purchases, But still waiting for them, except K5iis body.

I have bought many things in last March, spent above average via Paypal, then Paypal limited my account after my last purchase. They may suspected because of suddenly raised Paypal transaction. I was spending $200 monthly, but in March, it reached $3000 because of new gear purchase and set of shock absorbers for my car.

Following things I bought, what do you think of them?:
-K5iis, used body
-New Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 DC EX HSM
-Used Pentax F 50mm F2.8 Macro,
-New other Pentax AF 540 FGZ
-Third party battery grip
-Lowepro Nova 180AW

and small stuffs such as battery and blah blah.
04-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I made purchases, But still waiting for them, except K5iis body.

I have bought many things in last March, spent above average via Paypal, then Paypal limited my account after my last purchase. They may suspected because of suddenly raised Paypal transaction. I was spending $200 monthly, but in March, it reached $3000 because of new gear purchase and set of shock absorbers for my car.

Following things I bought, what do you think of them?:
-K5iis, used body
-New Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 DC EX HSM
-Used Pentax F 50mm F2.8 Macro,
-New other Pentax AF 540 FGZ
-Third party battery grip
-Lowepro Nova 180AW

and small stuffs such as battery and blah blah.
Third party grip? That's risky. Is it even weather sealed?
04-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Third party grip? That's risky. Is it even weather sealed?
Third party grip comes for only $30. It is not WR. But I had it before with my k5. It was ok, quality was high, functions are same as I thought (I have never hold original ones). So it was easy to me to decide.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 05:04 PM ----------

Lenses I meant are not delivered yet. They may come next week.
Today I went to local camera shop and found Signa 24-70 f2.8 ex dg older version and asked a shop owner to test it for few days and now I have it on my new k5iis.
I will bring the lens back him next week.
I will submit another post to warn someone who considers to buy this lens.
I wont recommend this lensto anyone. It is much soft at 2.8.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 05:07 PM ----------

Pttl problem is still there. But better than k5. Bounce flash makes underexposed photos. A mode of the af540fgz is not as smart as metz af58's. But when using bounce flash, using the A mode is better. Pttl underexposes.
Of course the k5iis body is updated to the latest 1.07 version.

Again. I miss my Metz af58
04-12-2014, 02:09 AM   #45
Inactive Account

#3 I often shoot weddings where every body wear patterned clothes, so there will be Moire party If I have K5iis.
I assure you that unless there is an extremely fine fabric + you blast it with flash directly, you are not going to see any significant moire.

I have absolutely forgotten about this moire thing, never had an issue with it.