Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Thinking of Nikon, Canon

I had upgraded my kx to k7, k7 to k5. My cousin kept asking me and bought my k5 set. All of the set. even battery case.
Now I am free, I don't have any lens, flash, accessories.

following infos I found on internet:
- at first, I looked at K5 on secondary market. K5 was lovable body. But I don't want to do management while using a PTTL flash guns.
- I looked at K5iis, but #1 there is still minor PTTL error, and needs extra $250 for no AA filter and upgraded AF system. K5 was OK with me. #2 I don't want to spend half a price for the newer AF system. #3 I often shoot weddings where every body wear patterned clothes, so there will be Moire party If I have K5iis.
- Then looked at the all new K3. It was pricey. but feasible. But there is still errors. mirror flap issue, still PTTL minor issue. K3 produces less quality image than the k5. Digital SR during Video capture panics easily.

I don't know what to choose.
I even think of Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D. There is a huge after market globally, easy to find chance to buy and sell locally.
I know that the Nikon Canon have big body, not weather sealed like K5 series, not good at high ISO, can't beat k5ii at AF-ing in low light.

What do you think? What will you suggest me?
Please give me a reason, why I ought not to choose another brand.

03-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are doing weddings or other paying jobs, the customers will likely be happier seeing a camera brand they recognize. Also, as you mention, it will be easier to find Canikon equipment in a bind. I've heard Nikon has the best flash system, Canon is good for sports.
03-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should definitely get either Canon or Nikon, those brands are much better known and never have issues with their cameras. More lenses available too, especially the good ones like 600mm f/4. You have to really like Pentax to stay with it and it sounds like you don't so if your livelihood depends on it just get something else.
03-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it will improve your photography then yes. why not.

03-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksat Tutan Quote
K3 produces less quality image than the k5.
This is false. K-3 files have more resolution and better auto white balance than what the K-5 produces. Noise levels are comparable when resampled to 16Mp, and the K-3 essentially solves the moire issue which its anti-moire system and in-camera moire removal.

IMO the K-3 is a joy to use, but as you're implying, it's not flat-out better than a D7100, and in some ways even the aging 7D is ahead. Canon and Nikon have a more mature lens lineup, flash system, and autofocus system, for example.

Having used all 3 cameras, if we put lenses and flashes aside, I would recommend the K-3 over the others unless your primary interest is video or sports. But if we do consider more than just the camera body, it really could go either way, and it all boils down to what you care about most. The D7100 is $150 cheaper than the K-3 right now, and you could use that money toward a lens or a flash, for instance.

I would recommend that you check out our K-3 review and reviews of other bodies you're interested in, then make your choice based on your needs and the reviews.
Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You should definitely get either Canon or Nikon, those brands are much better known and never have issues with their cameras. More lenses available too, especially the good ones like 600mm f/4. You have to really like Pentax to stay with it and it sounds like you don't so if your livelihood depends on it just get something else.
I can't tell if this post is trolling or serious. Canon, Nikon, and every other camera company including Pentax/Ricoh have had issues. Some issues are minor, others are big enough to justify recalls.

Changing companies seeking a perfect camera is foolish. Changing companies if their products better meet your needs is reasonable.
03-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you need flash for weddings, guys like the Canon or Nikon flash systems... at least that's what I hear from the guys who use them. That is as far as I know the only reason to use either. Using an older Nikon or Canon system, you may have flash issues, but you're going to have times when the K-3 or K5 IIs can focus, when your other systems won't. Better flash, but can't focus... is that good?

Looking for a Nikon or Canon system for less money just isn't going o work for you. But you can do a lot better spending more money. You're addressing way too many issues. If you're going to do weddings, you are going to be making money, so get what you need, just get a D610 or 5D MkIII or whatever it takes. If you're going to compromise a K5II (to avoid moire) or K-3 is as good a compromise as any.

Just from opinions garnered fem around the web.. a lot of wedding guys have gone FF for when they need it and 4/3 for everything else. There's pretty good quality in 4/3 these days. But, for many of these questions, it comes down to you have to be comfortable with your gear, and if you feel comfortable shooting weddings with a 2.8 Bridge camera...you'll probably do OK. Just buy what excites you and learn to use it. You have to learn to use it no matter what system you buy. What you purchase is the easy part, and probably the least important.

03-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But, for many of these questions, it comes down to you have to be comfortable with your gear, and if you feel comfortable shooting weddings with a 2.8 Bridge camera...you'll probably do OK. Just buy what excites you and learn to use it. You have to learn to use it no matter what system you buy. What you purchase is the easy part, and probably the least important.
Wise advice, IMO.
03-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
the customers will likely be happier seeing a camera brand they recognize.
So true. When someone sees small body with battery grip, they ask that if it is Canon350D or 400D.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you're going to do weddings, you are going to be making money
Not that much. $80-150+free transportation+free food )
03-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 produces less quality image than the k5
I almost fell of my chair. No, there might be more noise at 24 MP but it cleans up very nicely and shows more details than the K-5. AF is also much more precise than the K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you are doing weddings or other paying jobs, the customers will likely be happier seeing a camera brand they recognize
Brides don't care. After 5 years and 80 weddings with Pentax, I've been only asked once what type of camera I use, and it didn't even break the deal. Moreover, by the time they see your equipment you should have been paid in full.

Last edited by nicoprod; 03-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.
03-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
By the way, the first thought of Canikon was appeared when I saw the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 art.

I almost chose the Canon 7D. I think that I'd have many advantages if I choose Canon. There are my friends who use Canon and have beautiful lenses and they lend their gears to each other. I could team up with them. As I remember, there are Sigma 12-24, Sigma 18-35, L 24-105 f4, Tamron 70-300 expensive model and many speedlights. I would join in when I have Canon 24-70 L or Tamron 24-70 VC.

I will let you know guys when I decide.

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 11:16 AM ----------

I will always love K5's accurate metering, ISO3200, 6400 results; built in Shock reduction; The Green button that shifts shutter speed when using manual lenses, which was super helpful and fast.

I won't forgive the terrible PTTL with external flashes, wrong focus confirmation when using manual lens.
03-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

So true. When someone sees small body with battery grip, they ask that if it is Canon350D or 400D.

If that's what the fee is then no one will care at all what equipment you're using. They'll be just glad someone took some photos.

Since you are already familiar with Pentax, just get the K-3. It cleaned up all the little nagging issues with the K-5 series (including flash) so you should be fine.
03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I almost chose the Canon 7D. I think that I'd have many advantages if I choose Canon. There are my friends who use Canon and have beautiful lenses and they lend their gears to each other. I could team up with them. As I remember, there are Sigma 12-24, Sigma 18-35, L 24-105 f4, Tamron 70-300 expensive model and many speedlights. I would join in when I have Canon 24-70 L or Tamron 24-70 VC.
I've owned the 7D for about 5 years.There is a lot to like about the camera, but realize that it is aging. Event and wedding images taken above ISO 800 will need more attention due to noise. With decent software and especially technique this should not be a problem. The flip side of this being an older camera is that the used market is flooded with 7Ds; the prices I see are around US $700. If you can spend $2K more get a 5DMK3. I rarely use my 7D now as the 5DMK3 is really an ideal event camera, especially with the stellar Canon 24-70 II or the Tamron 24-70 VC. These lenses are intended for 135mm format anyway. The AF is exponentially better than the 7D and the video is excellent if you need it. Consider the 135 f2 L for portraits. It is a world class lens, fast, accurate, not that heavy, and optically remarkable. I've tested it against my Voigtlander SL 125mm f2.5 and they are essentially the same with the bokeh of the Canon being smoother. And it's under $1000 on the used market.

M
03-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If that's what the fee is then no one will care at all what equipment you're using. They'll be just glad someone took some photos. Since you are already familiar with Pentax, just get the K-3. It cleaned up all the little nagging issues with the K-5 series (including flash) so you should be fine.
Hehe. $80-150 is less but I leave in a country where average monthly salary is around $400.
And I really am familiar with the Pentax. it's been 5 years since I bought the Kx, which was absolutely excellent body for beginners.
03-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #15
Banned

Hehe. $80-150 is less but I leave in a country where average monthly salary is around $400.
And I really am familiar with the Pentax. it's been 5 years since I bought the Kx, which was absolutely excellent body for beginners.
This is difficult. You just don't earn the money to step into Canon/Nikon FF system, wich would make sence. I don't see the biggest advantage to choose another brand aps-c camera, since K-3 can do all those tricks.