Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Eneloop Battery Question

I purchased 8 eneloop AA's back in October and December(4 each time). I needed to use some of them today and a weard thing happened. The ones that I had left in the Sanyo charger(in camera bag) were depleted but the ones in my AA adaptor for my K50 were not. Could the charger actually have depleted the batteries.

03-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Use an Eneloop-compatible charger.
03-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it could have. You shouldn't store them in the charger, regardless of brand.

As you know, Eneloops will hold most of their charge over a year if stored in most devices or in a battery case.
03-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Unconnected to anything, fairly new and fully loaded Eneloops wil loose 10-20% of their load during the first 1-2 months by internal chemical processes. Then these processes stop, and they should hold about 80% of their original load for another 8-14 months.

In an unpowered charger, there are multiple elctronic elements like diodes and transistors connected. Each of these will allow for a (very very tiny) amount of current. With an intelligent design, batteries shouldn't empty within 1 or 2 days, but after some weeks it may happen.

03-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

I will agree with what others have said - Never store batteries in a charger (plugged in or not) ... Also get a good charger for your batteries (one that is smart and can determine when the battery is charged, and one that does NOT charge in pairs), they will last you a long time! The chargers that come with the Eneloop batteries are crap IMO.

My experience with this is that I have somewhere around ~70-80 eneloop batteries... I have lost count. I use La Crosse chargers (BC-500 and BC-700). I recommend the BC-500 for simplicity.
03-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Maha MH-C801D. I like it. It's a bit spendy, but it does 8 at a time & also has a battery conditioner that supposedly prolongs battery life and keeps performance up.