Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,490
Body or Lens?...my response.

I really appreciated your advice on that earlier question and have given it a lot of thought....probably too much in reality, causing me to procrastinate and delay making a decision..

Given that I have some longer term plans for my photography it is important that I begin to develop a stock of quality images capable of printing up to poster size, the *ist DS is going to struggle even with good glass.

My reading and research on the K200 & K20 comes back to one inescapable conclusion, the image quality of the K20D is beginning to emerge as arguably the best going around.

For the $$$$ it has no peer and you must spend 2 or 3 times as much to rival it.

So for now...I have ordered a K20D. Only top quality glass will follow to build a Level 1 kit.

Cheers
Grant

04-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
I really appreciated your advice on that earlier question and have given it a lot of thought....probably too much in reality, causing me to procrastinate and delay making a decision..

Given that I have some longer term plans for my photography it is important that I begin to develop a stock of quality images capable of printing up to poster size, the *ist DS is going to struggle even with good glass.

My reading and research on the K200 & K20 comes back to one inescapable conclusion, the image quality of the K20D is beginning to emerge as arguably the best going around.

For the $$$$ it has no peer and you must spend 2 or 3 times as much to rival it.

So for now...I have ordered a K20D. Only top quality glass will follow to build a Level 1 kit.

Cheers
Grant

There's one major problem with the K20D that you should have considered before ordering...

It makes your spouse jealous, because you never want to put it down.

(But then, throw on a limited or M 50 1.4 and take her picture, show it to her, and she's happy again!)

Congrats, you should be excited.




Last edited by jsherman999; 04-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.
04-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
Did you go local or overseas? I ended up buying mine local as it was only about $200 more than getting one from B&H and I consider that an "insurance" payment for any future problems I may have. The shop actually drove it out to me (15 minute drive) as I couldn't make it in before Easter, and they knew I'd like to have a play over the long weekend!
04-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,490
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Did you go local or overseas? I ended up buying mine local as it was only about $200 more than getting one from B&H and I consider that an "insurance" payment for any future problems I may have. The shop actually drove it out to me (15 minute drive) as I couldn't make it in before Easter, and they knew I'd like to have a play over the long weekend!
Hi Arpe,
Local, online at Digital Camera Warehouse. Hopefully it will get here this week (they say 3 days max) and previous experience with DCW supports that.....because I am heading over your way next week and want to give it a good workout.

Also waiting for my TrekPod, which is now three weeks into its delivery process from the US....just starting to get a bit concerned about this one.
Cheers

04-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,739
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Hi Arpe,
Local, online at Digital Camera Warehouse. Hopefully it will get here this week (they say 3 days max) and previous experience with DCW supports that.....because I am heading over your way next week and want to give it a good workout.

Also waiting for my TrekPod, which is now three weeks into its delivery process from the US....just starting to get a bit concerned about this one.
Cheers


When ordering from the states whats the limit including postage that can come before excise duty comes to affect.

Is it the same regardless of equipment,ie camera lenses etc
04-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,739
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There's one major problem with the K20D that you should have considered before ordering...

It makes your spouse jealous, because you never want to put it down.

(But then, throw on a limited or M 50 1.4 and take her picture, show it to her, and she's happy again!)

Congrats, you should be excited.





Glorious and rich in colour

cheers
04-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,490
Original Poster
You little beauty...the TrekPod Go! has arrived and it is great, a very clever piece of engineering.

Cupic: not sure, but I would check out the customs website....think its around $1000aud.

Cheers
04-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Whereas here in Ireland, and perhaps all of the EU, the limit is EURO 23. That includes shipping. if it's a gift a "generous" increase to EURO 40 is allowed. So basically anything gets duty and 21% VAT. :-(

Duty on a camera body is 4.9%, on accessories 3.7% and on lenses a whopping 6.7%.

04-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
Wow! There's no duty on camera gear here, just 12.5% GST on anything over $1000.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, glass, k20d, photography, quality
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted - Acquired: K20D, body only or body+lens (EUR) OPTi Mystic Sold Items 1 08-11-2010 03:42 PM
Canikon response to K-7 Not Registered Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 46 11-09-2009 08:04 PM
Craigslist Ad Response sureshgvv General Talk 1 08-21-2009 09:54 AM
Datacolor response mysterick Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 08-21-2009 08:44 AM
No response from Pentax services (EU) bc_the_path Photographic Technique 6 09-16-2007 05:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top