Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote

I guess I'm glad I haven't thought about trying the screw-mount Takumars yet.......yet...
Get the genuine Asahi Pentax m42 to k mount adapter on ebay for $50. Another ridiculous price for a sliver of metal

03-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe if I wait long enough, the prices will drop again!
03-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Not exactly a scientific analysis, but my experience especially with the m50 f/1.4 is that the combination of focus peaking and the less aggressive AA filter starting with the K-01/K-30 makes it particularly easy to get very sharp results with some older lenses that didn't look terribly sharp on the earlier dSLRs. What's particularly impressive is the relatively low amount of CAs and purple fringing. These older m-series and a-series lenses are emerging into a higher class than was previously thought possible in the digital era.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-28-2014 at 06:25 PM.
03-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Not exactly a scientific analysis, but my experience especially with the m50 f/1.4 is that the combination of focus peaking and the less aggressive AA filter starting with the K-01/K-30 makes it particularly easy to get very sharp results with some older lenses that didn't look terribly sharp on the earlier dSLRs.
I would lay the bulk of that improvement on the element of focus accuracy. I was not able to get sharp results with my faster legacy glass until I installed a split-image focus screen. That is when things finally started to click.

Steve

03-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Actually, I've used a quality eyecup magnifier system for years (not the crappy Pentax version) - and have no trouble nailing focus in most situations. The jump in sharpness between the K20D with some lenses (the m50 in particular) and the K-01/30 due to the changes in AA are quite amazing - almost as important as the improvement in high-ISO performance.
03-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Actually, I've used a quality eyecup magnifier system for years (not the crappy Pentax version) - and have no trouble nailing focus in most situations. The jump in sharpness between the K20D with some lenses (the m50 in particular) and the K-01/30 due to the changes in AA are quite amazing - almost as important as the improvement in high-ISO performance.
I use the s-screen AND a 1.3x magnifier -- took some time to calibrate (shim) the screen so I could hit razor-thin targets wide-open on an f/1.4 lens, and now I know I can trust it -- if it looks in-focus on the screen, it is, which simply isn't true with the stock screen on fast lenses.
03-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
I guess I'm glad I haven't thought about trying the screw-mount Takumars yet.......yet...
Oh, I've thought about it! But so far have resisted, sticking just to my A's, M's & K's. The Taks are a whole 'nuther can of worm$$$. I have one, but it stays on my Spotmatic (for now)!
03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a seller on eBay since 1996 - jco - who for many years had a weekly inventory of Tak's and the occasional Rodenstock bellows lens, plus Pentax bellows, all in VG+ or better condition at reasonable BIN prices. They certainly weren't bargains, but they weren't stupid ripoffs either. After a time he stopped offering Tak's and limited his inventory to K-series lenses, featuring the fact that they are Full Frame lenses.

Over the last decade and a half I've observed that when prices are low he has little or no inventory. When they are high he always has 8 lenses for sale. This cycle has repeated itself many times, usually concurrent with the strength of credible FF rumors.

Right now he's gone weeks without a lens - or maybe just one. Perhaps this time is different and prices will never come back.

Or perhaps they will.

03-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
way over priced, at $254, and listed as "rare."
The english used on eBay differs in meaning from what you and I use in real life--and the use of the word 'rare' is one of the most egregious examples.

When I say 'rare' I mean 'uncommon', 'hard to find', 'seldom found'. However, when an eBay seller uses the term 'rare', he means "common as dirt and obscenely overpriced".

When I see the term 'rare' in an eBay posting, I give it a miss as I suspect the seller may be somewhat untrustworthy.
03-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How about a rare Asahi Pentax empty case for $45.00
RARE!
Asahi Pentax Case for Extension Tube Set 147665 | eBay
03-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I only bid on items ending within 24 hours and only if there are other bids there already.
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Zero bid items usually have very high starting bids.
I once waited for some bids to come in to see if a lens was a good buy or not - enough to say I didn't bid and then once listing was ended I saw that there were like 7 or 8 bids in the last few seconds ! After that story I always bid if I want to buy something and sometime I get outbid but often I got a bargain buy - all depends.

Yes I believe there is a consensus that the older Pentax lens are of higher quality all around - from the glass to the metal.
Besides that point there seems to be a tendency that some sellers are fetching much higher prices for their used lenses than the others - a matter of reputation and condition of their lenses I suppose counts too.
--manntax
03-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

RARE!
Yikes!

That seller also has a history of listing vintage Empty Boxes for $100 (sometimes more if the styrofoam is included) and once had the Honeywell plastic dealer display stand for $250. Now it is 'only' $95
03-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens prices

I think the Canon FD lenses have come up a little in price also as adapters have become available to use them on NEX and other mirrorless cameras. I asked KEH to quote me on around a dozen of the FDs I have on hand, including couple of FD 55 1.2 lenses, and only got an offer of $175. I notice now that even the old FD 50 mm kit lens seem to be selling again for prices between #40 and $50, and you gotta know there are still tons of them out there in the wild.

---------- Post added 03-29-14 at 06:03 PM ----------

RARE!
I will sell the empty cases for my 43 and 77 limiteds for only $99.99--two empty cases for one price! (Administrators: This is a joke only, not an offer to sell.) :>)
03-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I use the s-screen AND a 1.3x magnifier -- took some time to calibrate (shim) the screen so I could hit razor-thin targets wide-open on an f/1.4 lens, and now I know I can trust it -- if it looks in-focus on the screen, it is, which simply isn't true with the stock screen on fast lenses.
The question is, "Why?"

The reason why the f/1.4 lens has gone away in the modern digital world is that: 1) You get a lot of unpleasant blooming; 2) All sensors begin to lose the capacity to gather light beyond /2.8, and the problem is typically huge by f/2, and 3) Modern sensors all work better by extending ISO (or simply underexposing for the ISO-less crowd) rather than opening the aperture to a hopelessly mediocre extent. Every time I take a shot more open that f/2, I will also try the shot stopped down a bit, such as at f/2.2. Invariably, the stopped down image is considerably better - and the shallow DoF is still plenty shallow enough.

Bottom line, I have no trouble nailing focus wide open on my several fine f/1.4 lenses, but in the interests of quality photography - its simply not a good option to bother with it.
03-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #30
Pentaxian

The question is, "Why?"

The reason why the f/1.4 lens has gone away in the modern digital world is that: 1) You get a lot of unpleasant blooming; 2) All sensors begin to lose the capacity to gather light beyond /2.8, and the problem is typically huge by f/2, and 3) Modern sensors all work better by extending ISO (or simply underexposing for the ISO-less crowd) rather than opening the aperture to a hopelessly mediocre extent. Every time I take a shot more open that f/2, I will also try the shot stopped down a bit, such as at f/2.2. Invariably, the stopped down image is considerably better - and the shallow DoF is still plenty shallow enough.

Bottom line, I have no trouble nailing focus wide open on my several fine f/1.4 lenses, but in the interests of quality photography - its simply not a good option to bother with it.
You're nailing MANUAL focus easily at f/1.4 with the stock screen? I doubt it unless the subject is already totally isolated, the screen just doesn't allow for it.

But I was making no argument for actually making images at f/1.4 or whatever -- if you don't want to then don't, that's up to you -- merely that using a lens/aperture with a very thin DoF in order to calibrate my focusing screen will make sure it works in all cases. (In other words, if I used a slow lens to calibrate it, I couldn't trust it on faster lenses.) And if I'm going to use the screen (and it is superior than the stock screen by far no matter what the lens), it needs to be calibrated correctly, and that's how you do it.