Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-50 with uncorrectable (?) front focus problem and horrendous Ricoh service

Hi All,

I purchased a K-50 last November from an official Indian dealer and found that all my lenses need a large amount of AF Fine Adjustment in the negative direction to fix front focus issues, -10, -9 and -5.
However, my most used Tamron 28-75/2.8 needs more as even -10 (the maximum) is not sufficient. So I sent the camera to service (in a different city). And when begins my ditty!

First of all, the service center tested the camera with a slow 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens (which won't show the focus issue), and claimed they were able to fix the issue by tweaking the AF Fine Adj.

When I asked them that the the same adjustment could be done by me without having to send the camera to service, they said they did not have the software to connect the camera and control from a computer.

The service center kept the camera for 2 months, with excuses like 'software being imported from Japan was held up at customs'.

Ok, 2 months pass and the software has arrived. The service center guys call me again, asking exactly what to fix! I spent an hour on the phone telling all over again what front focus means and that the in-camera adjustment could not fix this because the adjustment would only go to -10 and that this needs an adjustment of the AF module.

So they call again, and say they have corrected the problem and will ship the camera back to me.

received the camera yesterday and did the focus chart test again, and guess what? The problem is exactly what it was. All they have done is to perform the AF Fine Adjustment with the Ricoh debug software tethered to a computer.

At this point, I don't have the time and patience to deal with these guys again, and I don't have the money to move to Nikon (camera of similar quality but infinitely better local service) and replace all my 4 lenses.

So what should I do?

Is there a debug hack that could extend the range of AF Fine Adjustment? The software PK Tether can do it for the K-5 and K-30 but not for the K-50. Should I wait until PK Tether is updated?

Yes, I know that would void the warranty, but hey wait, what warranty are you talking about :-)

Regards
Anirban

Bangalore

03-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Anirban Dada, I understand your pain. Have you checked with Pentax Ricoh global/japanese tech support team/sales rep regarding this issue? You can also try contacting the software developer for PK TEther. I see that PK Tether has not been updated since Dec 2012. No point in waiting for a new release. Tomas Koz can help you tkos@pentax.org.pl
Pentax Ricoh Imaging has big plans for Indian markets, so better approach their Marketing Director. He wouldnt want a dissatisfied customer so early in the game
03-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This sounds more like a body replacement under warranty issue seeing as you say it affects all your lenses since purchase.
I assume live view AF is fine?
03-28-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also think you should ask for a camera replacement. You've been out of a camera for too long, and it just isn't working properly.

I'm sure Pentax can fix it and sell it refurbished. But that's their problem. Right now their Indian techs need to learn how to fix these things properly, and Pentax Japan needs to properly train & equip them. If you can get the Marketing Director (or someone else) to replace it you'll not only help yourself, but you may even set off a small alarm within the company that will make them address the service problem.

03-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, the live view is fine, but I rarely use it -- one main reason SLRs are still surviving, IMO, is the optical VF

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
This sounds more like a body replacement under warranty issue seeing as you say it affects all your lenses since purchase.
I assume live view AF is fine?

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 07:42 PM ----------

I haven't heard from Ricoh's country rep. who is copied on all emails

BTW, the service center replied saying my lens was defective. Yes, the same Tamron 28-75 that works perfectly on my film MZ-S and Pz1-p (but, I guess, those high-end film cameras' AF modules came perfectly aligned).

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I also think you should ask for a camera replacement. You've been out of a camera for too long, and it just isn't working properly.

I'm sure Pentax can fix it and sell it refurbished. But that's their problem. Right now their Indian techs need to learn how to fix these things properly, and Pentax Japan needs to properly train & equip them. If you can get the Marketing Director (or someone else) to replace it you'll not only help yourself, but you may even set off a small alarm within the company that will make them address the service problem.
03-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anirbax Quote
Yes, the same Tamron 28-75 that works perfectly on my film MZ-S and Pz1-p (but, I guess, those high-end film cameras' AF modules came perfectly aligned).
The main difference between those cameras and your K-50 is that they don't provide the means to evaluate AF accuracy in real time.

The techs should have been able to tweak the global AF bias enough to bring your lenses into range. Sorry that they are inept. I would contact Ricoh/Pentax again and suggest replacement since their service was unable to correct the problem.

Steve
03-29-2014, 01:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Since Pentax appear to want to expand in India and you have plenty of evidence and lack of response why not go to your papers with the story? Papers love to get stories from the public , they can then hassle Pentax for a answer as to why the service is so poor.

03-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get it replaced as defective under warranty.