Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

I went with the Pentax...and I'm glad I did!

Hey Hey everyone

I just got my new K-5 II and I love it already. After months of research and going back and forth on which camera to buy I went with the Pentax. I took into consideration all the factors and compared all the bells and whistles and the bang for the buck. Pentax came out on top every time. But what really sold me was the galleries of the users. They blew me away. So I pull out the credit card and put in my order. Also got the DA 50-200mm WR lens for starters.

So far what I love: The controls are so well placed and easy to use. The AF assist light, works really well. My best surprise was the "green button" , looking into seeing what all that can do.
I have a lot to learn, whew.

Looking forward to a long love affair with my new K-5 II. Be talking to you all soon and showing off my work.

Crux

03-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I would hide that credit card b4 LBA hits..LOL I know you will enjoy your new camera.. For further lens acquisitions check the gear data base reviews they can be a big help.,
03-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your new camera! The K-5 II is a terrific camera - I also have one.

You'll read lots of threads and posts here about lenses - the choices are virtually limitless although your budget might not be. I spent most of a year using the DA 50-200 WR and a 35mm lens on a K-7.

- Craig
03-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats for your choice and welcome to the Forum.

Pentax has a lot to offer in dSLR:
*WR (dSLR) cameras

*Small & rugged and sturdy bodies - I like a small body when I travel incl. hike

*Optical viewfinder

*Superb prime lens selection - The FA Ltds and DA Ltds lenses are outstanding for their IQ and unique in their design IMHO

*Backward compatibility of lenses = huge selection of older goodies

And a great forum here. You made an excellent choice.

Welcome.

03-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats and welcome. You made a great choice. Only comment is get a 18-135 WR lens instead of a 50-200 WR. I have both and the image quality with my copy of 18-135 is really very good. The 50-200 WR is also an amazing lens. Great bokeh and superb image quality throughout focal length. I'd also highly recommend a prime, get a 50mm 1.8 on the marketplace for 130 bucks. It is a great lens for a fraction of the hallowed DA* 55 1.4
03-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm planning on getting a 17-70mm next. Later on I want a 77mm or 85mm prime.
03-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Crux Quote
I'm planning on getting a 17-70mm next. Later on I want a 77mm or 85mm prime.
For WR I have the 18-55mm, 50-200mm and 55-300mm then I have the newer Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro, which is an excellent walk around lens. I am really pleased with the results I get with my copy. I also went with the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di 1:1 Macro it is another really good lens. That's why hide the credit card...LOL

03-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Crux Quote
Hey Hey everyone

I just got my new K-5 II and I love it already. After months of research and going back and forth on which camera to buy I went with the Pentax. I took into consideration all the factors and compared all the bells and whistles and the bang for the buck. Pentax came out on top every time. But what really sold me was the galleries of the users. They blew me away. So I pull out the credit card and put in my order. Also got the DA 50-200mm WR lens for starters.

So far what I love: The controls are so well placed and easy to use. The AF assist light, works really well. My best surprise was the "green button" , looking into seeing what all that can do.
I have a lot to learn, whew.

Looking forward to a long love affair with my new K-5 II. Be talking to you all soon and showing off my work.

Crux

Welcome to the club. Love my k5ii and i'm sure you will too.

Plenty of great tips on this forum. One from me is turn the status screen off and use info button for quick access to simple settings and turn off instant preview for better battery life (not that battery life is a problem).