Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
I hear that. Nice avatar by the way. Love that album.
They are my favorite band....but i'll stop here before I start to discuss their whole history

03-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

Well, frankly I don't think the guy in the video is funny at all. I think he makes a mockery of the situation, which even in the context of the underlying point being accurate......the way he was treating the equipment it makes me question his photographic skills.
That is how he is in all of the videos I've seen of his.. in some, however, he abuses his camera equipment on purpose.. people seem to love that behavior.
03-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for keeping the older camera, getting better glass.

Cameras lose value quicker, glass prices stay relatively stable. If you buy the lens and are still unhappy with your quality, then I'd say invest your money in a new body (unless you really NEED the features like WR, higher MP, and focus-peaking that the K-30 offers right now). Most likely you won't even notice a huge difference in your casual every-day shooting between a K-r and K-30. The best photographers can make even the crappiest of cameras perform like champs.
03-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Way back I upgraded my K-x to a K-5, while still having the kit 18-55 and a 55-300mm. I remember be scolded on this forum, and told by a few members I should have spent money on lenses instead However, I was really excited about the capabilities and the flexibility of the K-5, and loved the quality of it compared to the K-x, so I couldn't care less. Got into a photo club, got LBA, and went through well over a dozen lenses since then...

If I had to justify my current lens collection and camera collection I couldn't do it. To the point of ccd333 there are talented photographers out there who makes do with much less than what I have, and take better pictures than what I do. And since I am not making a living off of it, it really just comes the enjoyment of using my equipment, and the satisfaction of a great picture that I (and sometimes others) enjoy...

SO - you'll get the best bang for the buck by buying lenses (primes hold their value best), and the 35m F2.4 is a great place to start. Try it out, but don't be afraid to spend your money on something you enjoy, like a better camera body, even if you arguably would get better pictures buying, say,a good tripod..

My point is you can be all rational, but if you loose the interest it doesn't really matter, does it...
So many replies apologies if I missed one. This one has stood out most to me and I agree if you lose interest what is the point in doing it.

I think one of the many advantages of shooting with Pentax is the fact most if not all lenses will work on any body. Going to buy this 35mm f2.4 and start organising my own shoots cause as of now it's been me just following college briefs and it's making me lose interest. This forum is amazing.

03-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by degnann Quote
Going to buy this 35mm f2.4 and start organising my own shoots cause as of now it's been me just following college briefs and it's making me lose interest.
Good choice, IMO. The K-r is an older camera, but it's still capable of shooting superb images. I think you'll be surprised what you get out of it when you stick a good prime on it, like the 35/2.4. Good luck & have fun! - Bob
03-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I too have the K-r, I bought it as it was a great value, I have access to top of the line pro Nikon cameras and most of my shooting for prints is on MF and LF film cameras. It is still a great camera. My wife has a K5 which of course is better still but the K-r is still great. I bought the 35DA 2.4 at the same time as the K-r. My advise is to go with an upgrade to your lenses before upgrading the K-r, unless it has been problematic. Mine has less than 30,000 shots so it is barely broken in.

Having said that I am thinking of getting either a K5IIs or a K3 next year but part of that is we are taking a once in our lifetime trip and wish to have at least one back up digital camera (my K-r) and also once I finally get my hands on a DA15 I do not really have any more lenses I am currently interested in obtaining. The DA35 2.4 is a great bargain and will last you decades and I think you will find a larger improvement to your photography moving to a high quality prime lens than upgrading your camera. Primes make you think and see differently
04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But I think the distinction becomes...... is cheap always bad? I think a lot of it is in the connotation of the word "cheap". The point being you can find decent glass for less money if you are patient enough.
Absolutely true, and a point overlooked much too often.