Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

K10D- AF Assist not working, ideas please..

My k10d seems to be acting strangely when Auto Focusing. Outdoors and in lit situations, the focus locks immediately, it's just in dark situations that it has problems. It just hunts once, then stops. It used to work fine a while ago. The problem is that the Assist strobe light doesn't fire, under any circumstances at all. I have the camera set on AF.S, and with any program setting it doesn't work. I've been trying for a while searching the boards and the net. Found many many topics on AF problems, but none that have solved mine.
I'm not sure if it's a setting problem, that I'm doing. I've Reset the camera and running firmware ver 1.31.
Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Evan

03-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe obvious, but there should be an option somewhere within the menus to turn the AF assist light on/off. You sure that's on?
03-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
That's what I thought as well, Julie, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the menu or in the manual. I'll keep looking! Thanks.
03-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by EvanBand Quote
That's what I thought as well, Julie, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the menu or in the manual. I'll keep looking! Thanks.
It should be in the custom function menu.

This may also seem obvious, but does the flash itself work? There could be something wrong with the bulb after all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
The flash works fine, actually. It fires all the time, but I had my doubts about the pre-flash for the exposure. So I set it on 2-sec self-timer, and when I take a shot, the flash fires a quick short flash, and then the regular flash with the shutter. So seems that the P-ttl is working (I didn't think it was). Very strange.
03-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I checked the AF assist on my K10D and it has to be plenty dim before it kicks in. As for a menu setting, there is none-such in firmware v1.2.0.

Steve
03-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
I've tried it in extreme darkness actually, even with the cover on, same thing. Hunts then stops. I think something is broken for sure. Thanks Steve.

Evan

03-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EvanBand Quote
I've tried it in extreme darkness actually, even with the cover on, same thing. Hunts then stops. I think something is broken for sure. Thanks Steve.

Evan
Sorry

Steve
03-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Remove the battery and wait a minute before putting it back in? Just to remove (very small chance of) static electricity.
04-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

have you got the AF is S or C mode? the assist should only work in S mode.
Also the camera should be in single shot mode.

Last edited by Macario; 04-01-2014 at 02:24 AM.
04-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you Cal and Macario for your suggestions. I've actually done all that. Took out the battery overnight. And yes, I am shooting in AF-S in single shot mode.

I messed around with my ist DL and the 360FGZ Flash. Works perfectly, even in complete darkness, the red beam shoots and it focuses pretty fast. On the other hand, when I attach it to the K10d, the IR red beam never lights up, no matter what I do. I can't tell if it's a setting issue where the electronics are not sending the signal to the flash pin, or it's a physical problem with the board. I'll keep messing with it, can't get any worse.
04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well, problem Solved!! After trying all different things, nothing really worked. Then I tried to snap a shot with the camera set on the table, it surprisingly focused and locked, perfect shot. Lifted the camera up and tried again, nothing...AF keeps hunting. So I figured out that if I pushed the bottom plate of the camera, behind the battery door, the AF worked!!

I'll post my findings, for others that might have this problem. If all the settings for AF are correct, and the AF Assist doesn't work, most likely it's the Connector on the bottom. The camera had slipped out of my hand about an inch off the table, and apparently that jolted the Flex Connector (plug-in type) enough to lose the connection.

I opened the bottom (very easy), and I unplugged the connector, then snapped it in Good.. All is good now, works perfectly!!
Thanks for all the help!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F20  Photo