Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Any camera brand in the $1500 USD range will take great picture today as long as you have decent glass on it. All these comparisons people do are starting to require more and more magnification to notice differences. So it really doesn't make much difference for many things.

But here is small and insignificant example of a difference between the D800 and the K-5 for studio work I ran into and that Ricoh fixed with the newer cameras finally. I have some Alienbee B800 strobes, softboxes, etc for portraitures. These B800 strobes have proportional modeling preview lights in them. That is, modeling light strength is proportional to the the power setting of the strobes. You can get a hint of your strobe contrast ratio and where shadows fall, for example. Anyway I use that feature and turn off all ambient light as not to introduce any other light color temperature. The lighting can be pretty dim sometimes. The Pentax could not auto focus well at all. It did not keep up with me and I had to crank up the modeling preview lights back to full power. My D800, on the other hand, could focus with no problems under these conditions, was fast and accurate and kept up with my pace of shooting. But it's really no big deal and you can work around it. But just FYI.