Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5iis firmware upgrade stuck on Phase 1/3

Has anyone had this happen?

I just purchased a K5IIs and its on firmware 1.0. I tried to update it to firmware 1.07 or even earlier versions without luck. I have a K5 and know how to perform the upgrade correctly. I even reset the camera.

The issue was the first time I tried, the camera went into phase 1/3 and for a mere second or two and stopped. It brought me to the regular camera menu, but ver 1.0 was still the firmware.

I tried a few times more to effect the upgrade and each time, it's stuck on Phase 1/3, even for several minutes. Thankfully I can pull the battery and it still works.

Would should I do? Is there a way around this or is the camera defective?

Thanks!

04-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Are you sure you've downloaded the right firmware for your camera model?
Hi Twitch. I am 100% positive they are the correct files since the file names are k5_2s107.zip, etc. I downloaded again to be sure. Thanks
04-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rfaucher Quote
Has anyone had this happen?

I just purchased a K5IIs and its on firmware 1.0. I tried to update it to firmware 1.07 or even earlier versions without luck. I have a K5 and know how to perform the upgrade correctly. I even reset the camera.

The issue was the first time I tried, the camera went into phase 1/3 and for a mere second or two and stopped. It brought me to the regular camera menu, but ver 1.0 was still the firmware.

I tried a few times more to effect the upgrade and each time, it's stuck on Phase 1/3, even for several minutes. Thankfully I can pull the battery and it still works.

Would should I do? Is there a way around this or is the camera defective?

Thanks!
This might be a longshot, but is the SD card locked perhaps? IDK if the camera needs to have write access during the update. Also, try formatting the card in-camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This might be a longshot, but is the SD card locked perhaps? IDK if the camera needs to have write access during the update. Also, try formatting the card in-camera.
Thanks Adam. SD card is not locked and I tried two other SD cards with the exact same result: stuck on Phase 1/3.

04-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would stop trying to update the firmware. If it fails, then you've got yourself a brick.
Did you buy it from a brick and mortar store? If so, go there and ask them to do it. If it fails for them, well that's a warranty problem and they can't blame you for damage to the camera.
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I would stop trying to update the firmware. If it fails, then you've got yourself a brick.
Did you buy it from a brick and mortar store? If so, go there and ask them to do it. If it fails for them, well that's a warranty problem and they can't blame you for damage to the camera.
Thanks Calsan,

I got it from Henry's and I've already given up trying to update.