Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #1

Am I addicted to the EV bar??

I've read a lot of posts about "what mode to use", but still have questions about P mode ..

I'm relatively new to photography (I've had the k10 since Oct, so I guess I have to stop saying that at some point!) and have been primarily shooting in M mode. What I like about M Mode: I can meter using the green button, then use the EV bar (in the LCD Panel on top of camera, or thru the viewfinder) to go up/down in exposure depending on the scene. I have become quite attached to that EV bar, I must say.

Unfortunately, my shots still have alot to be desired in the exposure arena, so I recently started trying other modes of shooting. I've read a lot on the forums about the benefits of P mode .. so I gave it a shot this last weekend. My biggest challenge was I did not agree with the metering!

So, in theory, does this mean that when in P mode .. you only get one exposure value, depending on how the camera meters? If shooting on a bright/sunny day w/ lots of shadows .. there's no way to over/under expose in P mode?

04-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You could bracket your exposures so that you capture a range from under to over exposure.

You can use spot metering and meter on bright or dark areas to get different exposures.

If you're happy with M why not stay with it - it puts you in complete control.

Enjoy the K10 and more importantly, enjoy taking photographs.

Rusty
04-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By starting to use your camera in M mode, you have probably learned more about exposure in 6 months than many people will learn in 6 years.... well done.

In P mode, if you wish to over or under expose you use the exposure compensation. Press the button on the back of the camera and dial in + or -. The good thing is that your old friend the EV bar will appear to tell you how much compensation you have dialed in.

One thing to remember is that in lighting situations you describe, it sometimes is not possible to have the shadows perfectly exposed without the highlights "blowing out" This is not a fault of your technique, but a fact of the science of photography.

Have a look here for some good tutorials on exposure Cambridge in Colour - Digital Photography Tutorials & Gallery

I tend to use AV (aperture priority) most of the time.
04-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's better than being addicted to other kinds of bars!

04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #5

"You're shocking Muriel!"
04-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In P mode you get one shutter/ aperture combination. The meter averages the scene to an average gray brightness - assuming you set it on Multi-segment metering.

If shooting on a bright/sunny day with lots of shadows - the Pentax metering "logic" tends to get the bright areas exposed just right, the shadows may be too dark.
If you want to preserve shadow detail, you should set +ve E/V compensation.

Every time I shoot a new scene, I take a test shot first, review the Histogram and figure out if I need to put in compensation. Usually the rest of the series of shots will come out right.

Another method would be to set spot or centre-weighted metering, meter off the part of the scene you want to be exposed just right, press the AE-lock button, recompose and take the shot.
04-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I tend to use Av mode and compensate metering whree I feel its needed, I also keep and eye on the histogram so I can get an idea of how the camera is thinking and how i can improve my judgment judgement, by the way always feel new to photography and you will learn alot !