Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
That is interesting. I downloaded the Photome software and took a look. My camera was manufactured 2007-11-09 and unfortunately says 2.1 rev. Anyone know anything about rev. 2.1 vs. 8.1?

m
Interesting, mine is rev 1.5 manufactured Nov 27, 2006, Note that it was purchased within 1 month of that date

04-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Mine is Rev 2.1 and was manufactured 2007-10-23.... so not that long ago.... scary..
04-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

An alternate solution

Peter,

After spending Saturday shooting semi action shots at a canoe race I started to think about this same solution. Since I'm past warranty this "Upgrade" will cost about $260 plus at least 2 weeks down time. I'm still convinced the K20D will drop to the $850-$900 range by late summer. A friend of mine would buy my K10D for $400. Trading up to the K20D for $500 seems like it might be a better deal then sending the K10D in for an update. Just thinking out loud here.

Ken
04-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #19

Sorry for butting in here.........my K10 model revision is 2.1 Is there an issue/problem I should be looking out for?

jeff

04-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #20

One of my K10D bodies originally had a revision number of 1.5 with manufacturing date of 12/14/05. That must make it one of the earliest ones made though it was actually the second body I bought. When it came back from Pentax repair in Colorado earlier this year (for backfocus problems and a cracked base plate), the revision number had been changed to 8.5. Same body, same serial number, and same manufacturing date. Oh, and Pentax updated the firmware to 1.3.

When my other K10D body went to Pentax repair in Colorado in the spring of 2007 (autofocus had ceased working altogether), revision number was 1.2 with manufacturing date of 12/24/06. When it came back it had the same revision number and also the same firmware I had updated to - 1.11. However, I don't remember for sure but firmware version 1.11 may have been the latest version at that time so Pentax would not have changed that. Autofocus works fine now.

Personally, I find the whole revision number thing very confusing. I wonder what it really means. Also, I wonder just how accurate PhotoMe is because I have noticed some figures that are occasionally wrong, like the shutter speed setting. On one image I have, PhotoMe has the shutter speed as 1/90sec but it was actually 1/125sec.

Richard
04-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ok so any Canadian sent his camera to get it to 8.1 yet? how much doesn it cost?
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #22
Forum Member

Any one had 8.1 done in australia

Has any one here in australia sent there k10d to CRK in melbourne for a problem and have it come back with 8.1 in it? I have 2.1 revision build date 2007-12-08 not that long ago?

Last edited by PentaxKangaroo; 04-22-2008 at 03:36 PM.
04-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote

Personally, I find the whole revision number thing very confusing. I wonder what it really means. Also, I wonder just how accurate PhotoMe is because I have noticed some figures that are occasionally wrong, like the shutter speed setting. On one image I have, PhotoMe has the shutter speed as 1/90sec but it was actually 1/125sec.

Richard
there was already a discussion about rev. number and PhotoMe - did anybody mention
that link already ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/16816-there-some-i...tml#post137429

04-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Peter,

After spending Saturday shooting semi action shots at a canoe race I started to think about this same solution. Since I'm past warranty this "Upgrade" will cost about $260 plus at least 2 weeks down time. I'm still convinced the K20D will drop to the $850-$900 range by late summer. A friend of mine would buy my K10D for $400. Trading up to the K20D for $500 seems like it might be a better deal then sending the K10D in for an update. Just thinking out loud here.

Ken
Yeah Ken, I'm beginning to have the same idea. Since Pentax Canada won't give me a firm quote it seems like good money kinda wasted when the upgrade gives this solution and much more. Must have been part of the master plan....
04-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #25
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yeah Ken, I'm beginning to have the same idea. Since Pentax Canada won't give me a firm quote it seems like good money kinda wasted when the upgrade gives this solution and much more. Must have been part of the master plan....
As mine was under warranty, I sent it in last month for AF re-calibration due to BF with my FA*200mm lens. Nothing more than telling my photo guy what the problem was. No lenses, flashes, nonsense. When it returned, Pentax Canada had fixed the base plate, cleaned the mirror and adjusted the AF system. Using the Photo Me method, I see that the model revision is indeed now 8.1 as redknelb reported. As for usage, the AF seems much better with little or no BF and overall quicker response time.
04-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So how can I get my K10D to back-focus before the warranty period expires?

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
As mine was under warranty, I sent it in last month for AF re-calibration due to BF with my FA*200mm lens. Nothing more than telling my photo guy what the problem was. No lenses, flashes, nonsense. When it returned, Pentax Canada had fixed the base plate, cleaned the mirror and adjusted the AF system. Using the Photo Me method, I see that the model revision is indeed now 8.1 as redknelb reported. As for usage, the AF seems much better with little or no BF and overall quicker response time.
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxKangaroo Quote
Has any one here in australia sent there k10d to CRK in melbourne for a problem and have it come back with 8.1 in it? I have 2.1 revision build date 2007-12-08 not that long ago?
I'm also thinking the same thing. I got my K10D from oversea, so I don't know whether CRK will take it for warranty work

Anyone in Oz can share their experience?
04-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
That is awesome and wack at the same time. The 8.1 revision needs to be a user supplied update like a firmware or something. I know that my K10D is out of warranty, I really don't want to have to pay for this, and I dont want to have to ship in all of my lenses and flashes as well. That is a heavy and expensive box.

I totally agree with you, Buddha. My K10 is under warranty, but I just got it and I don't want to have to be without it for a week or two. Why can't they just send us a CD with the latest software and be done with it?

edit: By the way, my K10 was born on 10/20/07 and has the 2.1 version.

Last edited by craig1024; 04-23-2008 at 02:59 AM.
04-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #29

Is mine an original?

My K10D body is version 1.1 which seems to be the earliest on this thread.

It was made in April 2007 and purchased July 2007.

As far as I am aware I do not have any BF/FF issues and the autofocus with my 50mm 1.4 is absolutely spot on (literally to the mm) wide open.

I do have a leaning viewfinder but that does not bother me.

ISO performance above 400 is poor - 1600 is totally unusable. I have seen much better high iso shots on this forum and elsewhere.

Should I get it upgraded? Luckily I have a 3 year warranty including physical damage so I could simply drop it on something hard sometime in the future (I didn't say that) but then I wouldn't have the camera for a while.

Would an upgrade improve ISO performance? Would I get better performance elsewhere? Is it worth it?
04-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #30
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=Peter Zack;225404]I emailed Pentax Canada regarding the Model Revision 8.1
Some of you have been discussing this or have had it done and report good results.

Pentax Canada of course is ever so F&^$%*@G helpful. See attached response:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

There is not an authorized Pentax modification for the body of the camera. Currently, the repair time is approx. 1-2 weeks.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Erica R.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

So my questions are this:

1) Have you had it done and if so which country?
2) If not under warranty, how much was it?
3) What was the result in performance?
4) Am I dreaming or will I have to figure a way to get the camera to the USA?[/QUOTE

Peter,
Just for kicks I called the Pentax repair facility in Colorado and spoke to a tech. Asked her about the 8.1 and how I could get figure out which version I had on my K10. She stated she had heard of this but Pentax had no body upgrades. If I had a focus issue to send in the camera with all Pentax lenses and they would take a look at the problem. Wanted all lenses, only Pentax, because each had it's own data in the camera.

Sounds to me like we are getting the run around here. I would think that Pentax would know by serial number which cameras are affected and would notify the owners. Either ask us to mail in the units or provide a firmware update. I guess I will send a letter to Pentax USA and raise the issue.

I have not tried the Photo - me because I run a MAC and it appears to be a little more involved than I want to get.

Gary