Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #106

FWIW - I sent my K10D in for repair under warranty, with a problem description that said the focus seemed to be consistently behind what the camera was focusing on. I indicated this happened primarily with the 18-55 kit lens, and the 16-45 lens. Pentax got it back to me in less than 2 weeks, with a new revision number of 8.2 (original was 2.1), and with the following repair description:

------------------------------------------------------
* We have repaired your product(s) under terms of our new product or service warranty. Malfunctioning areas have been repaired, adjusted and cleaned including the following:

* Replacement or adjustment of electronic autofocus circuit including focus motor and encoder, CCD focus device and laser alignment of mirrors.

All repaired Pentax equipment is put through a complete function test, including cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment to bring your product(s) to factory specifications.
------------------------------------------------------

Pentax never requested that I send the lenses in. Haven't noticed any significant change in the camera's low-light autofocus abilities. Still need to check if the backfocus problem has improved at all.

05-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #107
Forum Member

I sent my K10D in for service (warranty) to Pentax Canada last month.
The camera was backfocusing pretty badly,especially with the 31mm f1.8.
Got it back about 3 weeks later, it's now rev. 8.1
and the BF problem is gone. I tossed it on the chart, and the 2 lenses were absolutely bang on.

I sent my K10D/77mm/31mm to Pentax Canada. It cost me 40 bucks to send it because I bought 1500.00 insurance from Canada Post, but it was money well spent.
I had used the K10D less and less because of the problems I had, but I took it to a conservatory (after it was fixed) and shot some birds at very wide apertures, the camera performed really well.
But I never DARED go over ISO 400. The camera isn't exactly a star performer at high ISO.

Overall, Pentax Canada did a fine job.
I find the camera still hunts a bit in low light, but of the 180 or so shots i took, only 3 or 4 were mis-focused. I don't think that's too bad.
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #108
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well my baby has been returned to me safe and sound.

Here are the details:

Flash: Checked and found in order

K10D Body: Auto Focus Sys Adjusted, Auto Exposure Adjusted

No Charge

As expected I am at Model Revision 8.1

I have a feeling the "8" tells them it has been to back to the factory for repair.

I have a gut feeling the "1" probably will change to a "2" if I were to send it back in.
(Just a hunch)

It seems to not hunt like it used to and the focus does seem better... need to play around more with it tonight.

Oh yea.... they left the firmware at 1.3

D.
05-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #109
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Mine went off to Pentax Canada yesterday along with the FA50 f1.4. With luck it'll be back in about 4 weeks. So I'm a *istD shooter for awhile. I should ue that camera more often anyway. I was out today with it and the size and weight are ideal for a day of walking.

I took several test shots before sending it off. I'll report the results when the camera returns.

05-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #110
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I took several test shots before sending it off. I'll report the results when the camera returns.
I wish I did that... especially for the exposure issue I think I was having.

D.
05-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #111
Inactive Account

UPDATE:

Shot a full day with the camera at a car show in the morning using my Sigma 18-50 and then in the afternoon using my Macro 50mm and some 70-300mm

I have to say the camera is MUCH different now.

Focusing is much faster and it really seems to be better. No more FF or BF at all. My shots are bang on.

My exposure issue is also cured... everything is nice and bright and looks good.

I am so glad I sent it in... three week wait or not.

D.
05-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
UPDATE:

Shot a full day with the camera at a car show in the morning using my Sigma 18-50 and then in the afternoon using my Macro 50mm and some 70-300mm

I have to say the camera is MUCH different now.

Focusing is much faster and it really seems to be better. No more FF or BF at all. My shots are bang on.

My exposure issue is also cured... everything is nice and bright and looks good.

I am so glad I sent it in... three week wait or not.

D.
I will send mine off tomorrow to see what happens.
Thanks for the tips.

05-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #113
Forum Member

got my k10d and lenses back today. The revision indeed was changed to 8.1, but tell you the truth, i dont think i've used it long enough to notice any af speed increase. Nonetheless, happy to have it back and can't wait to put it to use again.
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #114
Veteran Member

I really wish

I wish I would have sent the k10d I bought in November 2007 in right away. I bought it because I knew I would want a second body for shooting my son's wedding in June and I had to send my first k10d in for service, plus that dandy $100.00 rebate at the time got me a second k10d for just under $600.00.
When I got my k10d back from repair I thought it was really spiffed up. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what had improved though. Everything seemed to work better than my new one. BUT I have some serious underexposure issues with almost all my lenses after 6,000 shots. It *seems* it's been slowly going out of right exposure wise. It still focuses more accurately than the new k10d I bought and I've become used to adjusting the exposure.

FYI
My first k10d bought in November 2006 and sent in for service in Jan 08:
manufacture date 10-24-06, model revision 8.1

The second that I bought in November 2007:
manufacture date 10-16-07, model revision 2.1

I can't send the second one in now though. I wouldn't want to chance not getting it back by my son's wedding on June 28th.

p.s. after thinking about it, maybe I should send it in. I *think* I read you can pay $40.00 for expedited handling?

Last edited by LaRee; 05-27-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: ps
05-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Well this sucks... Sent it in and it still says revision 2.1. Does that mean they didn't even do anything at all to it?
05-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #116
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Well this sucks... Sent it in and it still says revision 2.1. Does that mean they didn't even do anything at all to it?
Interesting....

It should have come with some papers telling you what they did or even if they did nothing.

D.
05-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #117
Forum Member

Question for those who's had their slr serviced: Did your camera come back out of focus on any of the lenses submitted? 1 of 3 lenses sent in seems to be front focusing. I'm pretty sure i used the focusing chart properly; the lens ff consistently (FA50). How critical is it to have the camera angled at exactly 45degrees? would it affect the focusing outcome if the angle was off a few degrees?
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kentax Quote
How critical is it to have the camera angled at exactly 45degrees? would it affect the focusing outcome if the angle was off a few degrees?
Not very. General area is okay to check for things like that. Making sure the chart fills the right amount of the viewfinder (specifically the AF area) is much more important.
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #119

My K10d has also been sent to Germany to correct back focus problem. Manufacture date was end of Nov. 2006 rev. 1.1. Those who sent it for repair in Europe, how long did it take to get it back?
05-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital_aspirin Quote
My K10d has also been sent to Germany to correct back focus problem. Manufacture date was end of Nov. 2006 rev. 1.1. Those who sent it for repair in Europe, how long did it take to get it back?
I got mine back from Germany after 3 weeks. But unfortunately they didn't do a very good job, so tomorrow it goes back to Germany, this time with my most used lenses ranging from 14 to 300 mm. I do hope that sending the lenses together with the camera this time will make a difference. Luckily I can still borrow my good old DS from my wife... I hope
Ebbe