Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D update and Model Revision 8.1 Yes /No??

I emailed Pentax Canada regarding the Model Revision 8.1
Some of you have been discussing this or have had it done and report good results.

Pentax Canada of course is ever so F&^$%*@G helpful. See attached response:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

There is not an authorized Pentax modification for the body of the camera. Currently, the repair time is approx. 1-2 weeks.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Erica R.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

So my questions are this:

1) Have you had it done and if so which country?
2) If not under warranty, how much was it?
3) What was the result in performance?
4) Am I dreaming or will I have to figure a way to get the camera to the USA?

04-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey Peter,

Good timing on your post.

I too have read all the other posts and I was curious about it.

I called into Pentax today and asked them about it. He couldn't say anything official to me about 8.1 however he encouraged me to send my camera in to Pentax for some other reason. He suggested Under Exposure and Back Focus issues.

Since I am under warranty he said they would take my camera, give it a test and tune (which would involve this 8.1 update) and return it to me no charge.

It would take 1-2 weeks depending on how busy they are.

He suggested that I send in my body, all PENTAX lenses, and my Pentax 540 Flash.

He said to NOT send in any NON-PENTAX lenses.

I am boxing up my stuff as I type this. Let's see what happens.

D.
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Like I said before in my other posts, I believe this will make your k10d have the same focus system as the k20d. Afterall, the specs list it as being the same system. I wouldn't expect Pentax to give anyone a straight answer on this as they dont want an influx of FREE warranty work coming in. Although at this point, the early models are most likely out of warranty or close to it. My second k10d has a manufacture date of 9-19-07 and its a 8.1 rev.
04-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That is awesome and wack at the same time. The 8.1 revision needs to be a user supplied update like a firmware or something. I know that my K10D is out of warranty, I really don't want to have to pay for this, and I dont want to have to ship in all of my lenses and flashes as well. That is a heavy and expensive box.

04-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So how can one tell what revision the body is or the manufacture date?
I bought mine in early January of 2008 from Beach Camera. From the posts I've read it's most likely already at 8.1? And why all the secrecy from Pentax, for Pete's sake?
04-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
That is awesome and wack at the same time. The 8.1 revision needs to be a user supplied update like a firmware or something. I know that my K10D is out of warranty, I really don't want to have to pay for this, and I dont want to have to ship in all of my lenses and flashes as well. That is a heavy and expensive box.
I sent just my body with a battery, a description of my back focus problem with a shot I took of a focus chart. Came back working great. Cost me $252.00 plus shipping to Colorodo. I suppose if you really wanted it spot on with a specific lens you should send it in. Not sure why they would want the flash?

BTW, I'll be accepting donations from anyone who gets the revision done under warranty as a result of me sharing the info about the 8.1 rev.
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
So how can one tell what revision the body is or the manufacture date?
I bought mine in early January of 2008 from Beach Camera. From the posts I've read it's most likely already at 8.1? And why all the secrecy from Pentax, for Pete's sake?
Take a picture and open it with this PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor. All the way down near the end it will be listed.

04-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
Hey Peter,

Good timing on your post.

I too have read all the other posts and I was curious about it.

I called into Pentax today and asked them about it. He couldn't say anything official to me about 8.1 however he encouraged me to send my camera in to Pentax for some other reason. He suggested Under Exposure and Back Focus issues.

Since I am under warranty he said they would take my camera, give it a test and tune (which would involve this 8.1 update) and return it to me no charge.

It would take 1-2 weeks depending on how busy they are.

He suggested that I send in my body, all PENTAX lenses, and my Pentax 540 Flash.

He said to NOT send in any NON-PENTAX lenses.

I am boxing up my stuff as I type this. Let's see what happens.

D.
Holy crap, All my lenses? That will cost a bundle in shipping and I don't like the idea of shipping an FA50mm Macro, FA*300F4.5, FA 50 f1.4, 31mm Ltd, DA 16-45mm plus 2 AF360FGZ's all in one box. I'd have to insure it for a minimum of $4000.00 If something happened to it coming or going, I'd be out the money and gear for months while the courier does a trace and finds some way to screw me out of the money. I do not like the sound of that one bit.

I'll send them the body and the FA50mm f1.4. Plus I'm not getting this one done under warranty so I'm looking at around $250 I guess.

I looked in PhotoMe a before and it's revision 1.1 and built in March 2007.
I'll send it off in a few days and see what happens. We should all report back results to this thread if anyone gets this done.

What prompted this was I got a DA16-45mm just this night and after trying it I can tell it's got a slight BF issue. I've had the DA*16-50 and sent it back. Then a Sigma 18-50mm (non macro) and now this lens. All had basically the same problem. Much more noticeable wide open at the wide end of the zoom. My longer glass seems to be much better. I'm getting more and more convinced the BF issues of the DA*16-50mm are the body and not the lens as much. I don't recall anyone with a K20D that has had the same issue? Does anyone else know?
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
Like I said before in my other posts, I believe this will make your k10d have the same focus system as the k20d. Afterall, the specs list it as being the same system. I wouldn't expect Pentax to give anyone a straight answer on this as they dont want an influx of FREE warranty work coming in. Although at this point, the early models are most likely out of warranty or close to it. My second k10d has a manufacture date of 9-19-07 and its a 8.1 rev.

That is interesting. I downloaded the Photome software and took a look. My camera was manufactured 2007-11-09 and unfortunately says 2.1 rev. Anyone know anything about rev. 2.1 vs. 8.1?

m
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

My K10D is 8.1. It could have been upgraded when the camera was sent in last summer for another issue. It was done under warranty. I have no idea what 8.1 means in practical use.
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Sorry guys... didn't mean to rille you up.

He said the Pentax lenses that were having BF issues. sorry should have been clearner.

I told him that I had NO Pentax lenses and he said... "well we don't want any non-Pentax lenses sent in"

That is what I was trying to convey in my statements.

The reason why he asked me to send the flash in is that I believe I am having an exposure problem when using my 540 with the K10D.

For me this is a legit issue and one of the reasons why I will actually be without my beloved Pentax for 2 weeks. If not I wouldn't be bothering with it as much.

D.
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #12

I have photo ME but can't find this Revision number, I can find EXIF version, colour space version, but not camera version
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
I have photo ME but can't find this Revision number, I can find EXIF version, colour space version, but not camera version
I could only get the Rev data from my RAW files. JPG converted from LR and edited in photoshop seems to have stripped 'extraneous' EXIF data.

Manufacture date of May 18. Revision 8.1. Been back to the factory once for a cleaning (it was filthy out of the box), and firmware was re-flashed from 1.3 back to 1.0.

Maybe this is why I have never encountered as much low light hunting as some of our members claim?
04-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

They must do the revision on any camera that comes in regardless of what its there for. Just to clarify for some people, in my case, I checked every lens I had and the problem was the same (back focus). Just more noticeable on fast glass. I figured it was pointless to send a lens in when it did the same thing with all of them.
04-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
I could only get the Rev data from my RAW files. JPG converted from LR and edited in photoshop seems to have stripped 'extraneous' EXIF data.

Manufacture date of May 18. Revision 8.1. Been back to the factory once for a cleaning (it was filthy out of the box), and firmware was re-flashed from 1.3 back to 1.0.

Maybe this is why I have never encountered as much low light hunting as some of our members claim?
Yes same for me. Use a RAW file to get all the data.