Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #1

Petition to make a firmware change for catch in focus on non-conductive mounts

Was playing around with my new M42 Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 (amazing condition!) and discovered the whole "put aluminium foil to short the contacts for catch in focus" trick. Insanity! This is obviously something that could be fixed in the firmware.

So here's a petition to eventually send to Ricoh about it.
https://www.change.org/petitions/ricoh-allow-catch-in-focus-without-aluminum-foil#share

04-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Adam Can you help us (the community) with a mechanism to share firmware ideas with Pentax? I'm thinking a way to voice ideas, and those with enough up-votes bubbling to the top, and provided to Pentax through whatever channels you have. The up-votes would serve as the number of petitioners. Thoughts? An ever present option out of all of this would be to release an SDK like Canon.

To the OP, it's a good idea, among many that could improve their user experience.
04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should post your suggestion in the questions and suggestions sub forum.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/
04-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
@Adam Can you help us (the community) with a mechanism to share firmware ideas with Pentax? I'm thinking a way to voice ideas, and those with enough up-votes bubbling to the top, and provided to Pentax through whatever channels you have. The up-votes would serve as the number of petitioners. Thoughts? An ever present option out of all of this would be to release an SDK like Canon.

To the OP, it's a good idea, among many that could improve their user experience.
We normally present a list of ideas to the Pentax reps at our interviews. But for economical and strategic reasons, most of the suggestions are inevitably ignored.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This forum had plenty of great ideas for new features or for improving current features. But Im not sure CiF is just a firmware change. It might be mechanical - contacts need to be shortened for AF to work, which is needed for the AF priority mode which is needed for CiF..
04-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do have some (non-Pentax) lenses with anodized lens base plate which require aluminium foil to short the pins. But all my other Pentax M/K/A lenses works fine without this fix. If firmware can fix it that will be great, otherwise, an alternative way would be to remove the coating on the lens base.
04-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think that this is not possible in software. Those contact are active in some lenses, inactive (in short) in other lenses, and the camera cannot make a difference without electrical contact.

04-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfusca Quote
So here's a petition to eventually send to Ricoh about it.
while I am with you, it's likely to be another unread petition/wishlist by Pentax.
04-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This forum had plenty of great ideas for new features or for improving current features. But Im not sure CiF is just a firmware change. It might be mechanical - contacts need to be shortened for AF to work, which is needed for the AF priority mode which is needed for CiF..
I am not so sure about this. Thee are a lot of issues with camera functionality for non conducting mounts that were introduced with the K7. Before this, for example you could stop down manual lenses (I.e. Non a lenses) for metering etc. this whole functionality was changed with the K7 it is not just catch in focus.

I do not know what drove this change in total.

It is like the change in exposure compensation. The *istD for example had EV comp in manual, so you could make a correction for a lens, or for a deliberate shooting condition even if you were in manual, but with the K10 and later, this was no linger possible..