Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Upgrade K10D to K5IIs?

Hey all;

It’s been a while since I’ve been around, but I’m poking back in because I’m getting tempted to upgrade my K10D to a K5IIs. I don’t have any option near me where I could see and hold, let alone try, one of them so I seek some feedback that compares them. I hope to get some thoughts that may help me decide if it’s worthwhile and what I might expect if I do it. So, a few points in particular that are on my mind:

One of the biggest things that sold me on the K10D was how it felt in my hand. The K5 is smaller per specs, but to how much of a real-life difference does this translate? I know this is subjective, but does anyone have thoughts on “hand feel”? The K10D just feels so good.

We all want better overall photo quality from an upgrade, and I’m sure the K5 will deliver. What I don’t know is how much. Should I expect “yeah, it’s better”, or “HOLY CRAP THE PICTURES!”?

I feel like the K10D has a weak point dealing with low light / high ISO. I’m hesitant to shoot over ISO400, and even that’s pushing it. Maybe I just need better PP skills, but is there a definitive improvement in the K5 here?

Focusing on the K10D is a bit slow and I have enough pictures that aren’t as sharp as I’d hope where I start to wonder if it is a camera issue. I know the K5 has an updated AF system over the K10d; should I expect quicker and better focusing accuracy out of the K5 given the same lenses?

Any other thoughts or points of note are most definitely welcome.

<edit>
While a couple have already mentioned an answer, I did forget to include a question: Is it worth selling the K10D? What kind of selling price or market value might I expect if so?

Thanks, all!

Last edited by applejax; 04-11-2014 at 11:24 AM.
04-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by applejax Quote
One of the biggest things that sold me on the K10D was how it felt in my hand. The K5 is smaller per specs, but to how much of a real-life difference does this translate? I know this is subjective, but does anyone have thoughts on “hand feel”? The K10D just feels so good. We all want better overall photo quality from an upgrade, and I’m sure the K5 will deliver. What I don’t know is how much. Should I expect “yeah, it’s better”, or “HOLY CRAP THE PICTURES!”?
The K-5 has much better ergonomics. It button layout is completely different and it will take a while to get used to, but I'm confident you will prefer it. It speeds up a lot of common tasks.

As for the image quality, it's the latter. The sensor is the K-5 is still one of the best APS-C chips out there, so don't be afraid to crank up the ISO on it. You'll love it

Regarding AF, the K-5 II specifically is a lot more accurate in low light. The K-5 was already a big step up in terms of speed, though the Pentax system still falls short of the competition in this area.

For more deets, see our in-depth reviews:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

“HOLY CRAP THE PICTURES!”?!
This.
04-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The CCD sensor of the K10D gives a lovely quality image, but for sheer resolution and dynamic range the K-5 IIs monsters it.
And everything Adam says is right. AF, high ISO noise, ergonomics: all much improved.

Just do it

04-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I’m hesitant to shoot over ISO400
With K-5 II I took it to ISO 8000. Don't believe me? Here it is..

Attached is the image, nothing exceptional...

“yeah, it’s better”
Well really there are cheaper options with almost identical sensors. I mean you could look at K-50 or K-500.

But if you really want an upgrade it is K-3 and not K-5 II.

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 01:41 AM ----------

Picture is hand held btw.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the similar K200D and the K-5 IIs (as well as a K-5).

First of all, what you'll lose is the color saturation of the K10D's CCD sensor. The K-5 IIs gives up even more color saturation than the K-5 does. But that's all you give up.

The K10D images already are sharp looking at 10MP (due to its weak AA filter, IIRC), assuming they're in focus. The K-5 IIs images are even sharper looking, though I don't consider this a must-have characteristic. But honestly, even going from the K-5 to the K-5 IIs, I can read the small print on runner's bibs much more often on the K-5 IIs. I think this is mostly because of the higher resolution, but the improved AF also helps. The difference from the K10D will be much more dramatic.

All the things Adam said apply as well.

If AF is critical for you, you'll be happy with the camera for that reason alone. So about the only drawback of the K-5 IIs is the color saturation. For this reason, I keep the K200D, as I still prefer it sometimes when the shooting environment is well controlled. But you'll be very impressed with the AF accuracy, performance, dynamic range (ability to pull detail out of shadows in PP), and low noise as well as the ability to work with the noise in PP.

While the K-3 is slightly better, and may even have nicer color, the K-5 IIs is still a huge improvement over the K10D. Plus it costs less than the K-3, can use much cheaper third-party battery grips, and you won't have to wait for Pentax to resolve the K-3's mirror flap issue.

Last edited by DSims; 04-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.
04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You will be blown away by the k5ii in every possible way. I should know. Coming from a k10d to a k3 it was an undescribable jump. With k3 I Very regularly crank upto ISO 3200 in decent light. In low light I have gone ISO 10,000 sometimes for higher shutter speed. Shots are acceptable. K5II should be no different. K10D is so dinosaur age tool now that ISO 1600 on k10D = ISO 10,000 on k5 and newer bodies.
And we are not even talking abou AF improvements!! If you are going APSC at the moment there is simply no competitor for a K3 and only a handful competitors for k5ii!

04-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Get the iiS for sure. Absolutely, you'll love it. But don't get rid of the K10 if you don't have too. Its a great sensor that renders beautifully and uniquely as long as iso is kept under control.
04-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
With k3 I Very regularly crank upto ISO 3200 in decent light. In low light I have gone ISO 10,000 sometimes for higher shutter speed. Shots are acceptable. K5II should be no different.
And on a per-pixel basis the K-5 IIs noise is even slightly better than the K-3 here, so you should like it!
04-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #10

Depends on your hands. So long as you don't mind a smaller feeling camera, you can't go wrong. The K-5 IIs fits my hands better than the K10D, but the opposite is true of my buddy, who has larger hands. And I suppose a grip would solve the sense of smallness.
04-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I preferred the size of the K10D and K20D as they fit my large hands better. However, having made the jump to the K-5 and now the K-3 I appreciate the improvement in IQ and other improvements.. I've also added the battery grip which helps mitigate the difference in size. I wouldn't replace the K10D but I would definitely add the K-5IIs. Just my two cents.
04-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Moving Up?

Hello applejax,
Plenty of viewpoints so far, here's mine. Bear in mind, I own the classic K-5, not the II or IIs, OK?
And I'm an unrepentant admirer of the K10D, have been for several years. We even have a club here!
The K-5 is WAY better at high-ISO, which most now consider...oh, 3200 or so. Unfortunately, with the K10D, realistically it's 800. Big difference.
It's an old design and suffers by comparison.
I like the ergonomics of both but prefer the K10D overall, with the BG. Bigger somehow but comfortably so, not as 'sleek' and finely-tuned in the hand as the K-5. Perhaps because I mainly use it with legacy primes, and the K-5 can do everything with all my lenses. So, a chunky camera seems to suit solid glass + metal better. But, it's not for action or fast-moving subjects. K-5? Much better there, with any A/F lens.
A/F improvement was amazing, I went K10D, K-7, K-5. Much faster, more lens-tuning options (more of everything), bigger LCD, better button and menu layout.
Go for it, but hang on to your K10D, if only for the sensor rendering. It really is special and offers a good change in the look of your photos.
JMO, hope this helps,
Ron
04-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm just going to chime in to say the K-7 was a huge, huge improvement over my K10d. I've never looked back. If you're considering the K5ii, you have ZERO to be concerned about.
04-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Get the iiS for sure. Absolutely, you'll love it. But don't get rid of the K10 if you don't have too. Its a great sensor that renders beautifully and uniquely as long as iso is kept under control.
+1

I have a K5IIs but I just picked up a K10d as back up. I think the ergonomics of the K5IIs are excellent but K10D also feels really nice in hand.
04-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the feel and most of the ergonomics of my K10D, but I've had a K5IIs for 1-1/2 years now and the K10D rarely gets used. The K10D is easier to use (for me, at least), but overall I've been taking better pictures with the K5IIs, even though I'm still learning a lot of it's functions/ features.