Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

Will Pentax K1000 lenses work with newer digital cameras?

Hello Pentax forum!

Question 1. Why are Pentax cameras selling for more on eBay than Canon cameras?

Question 2. Will a Pentax K1000 lens work with a Pentax digital camera?

I have got a Pentax K1000 camera. I used a Pentax K1000 camera for 20+ years for work beginning in the early 1980's. I would use, on average, maybe one or two rolls of film per week.

The first Pentax was stolen from my desk drawer. That was in about the year 1995. I bought another K1000 and used it for about six more years. I still have the most recent Pentax K1000 camera and lens.

I have noticed on eBay there are not many Pentax digital cameras for sale. There's one company, Henrys dot com, that usually has Pentax cameras for sale.

The 10.2 megapixel Pentax cameras, without lenses, typically sell for about as much as the 10 megapixel Canon cameras that DO have lenses.

I am wondering why that is the case?

Also, I need to know if my Pentax K1000 lense will work with the newer Pentax digital cameras?

Thanks.

04-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimTrail Quote
Hello Pentax forum!

Question 1. Why are Pentax cameras selling for more on eBay than Canon cameras?

Question 2. Will a Pentax K1000 lens work with a Pentax digital camera?

I have got a Pentax K1000 camera. I used a Pentax K1000 camera for 20+ years for work beginning in the early 1980's. I would use, on average, maybe one or two rolls of film per week.

The first Pentax was stolen from my desk drawer. That was in about the year 1995. I bought another K1000 and used it for about six more years. I still have the most recent Pentax K1000 camera and lens.

I have noticed on eBay there are not many Pentax digital cameras for sale. There's one company, Henrys dot com, that usually has Pentax cameras for sale.

The 10.2 megapixel Pentax cameras, without lenses, typically sell for about as much as the 10 megapixel Canon cameras that DO have lenses.

Also, I need to know if my Pentax K1000 lense will work with the newer Pentax digital cameras?

Thanks.
Yes, all old Pentax lenses work with new Pentax DSLRs. Here's the guide on how to use them:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

As for the old Pentax cameras, I have no clue why they're more expensive, but they're probably not worth it. The more modern 16-megapixel Pentaxes like the K-30, K-50, or K-500 give you a much bigger bang for the buck.

Here's a great deal BTW:
Pentax K-500 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

Also, if you're looking to buy used (hard to beat the price above), there are plenty of Pentaxes listed on our Marketplace:
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What adam said. If you can find a k-30, that's probably the best value pentax dslr around at the moment (the k-50 is the newer version of the k-30, and the k-500 is the same without weather sealing). All of them use the same 16mp sensor, so image quality is the same from each.

Only additional comment: just be aware that there is a 1.5 crop factor at play on dslr, so a 50mm lens will behave like a 75mm portrait lens.

If you find youself missing a good normal lens in future, then a 2nd hand pentax da 35mm f2.4 lens is hard to beat...
04-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimTrail Quote
Hello Pentax forum!

Thanks.
First of all - what they said above - your K-mount lenses will work with digital bodies just fine in stop down metering mode ( you focus and compose with lens fully open and lens will be stopped down just when you release the shutter ). You have convenience of a green button that will stop the lens down and meter for you. On some bodies slight exposure compensation might be needed though.

Another thing is - if you are like myself - coming from long time shooting film - you will probably be in love with older cameras like K10D for example - 10MP , shake reduction with all your manual lenses ( this is one of the reasons why comparable canon camera will be cheaper as they lacked SR feature !! ) and SUPERB quality of images at ISO 100-200. Great images for ISO up to 400 - more grainy and less appealing with ISO above 500. So if you are like me usually shooting at ISO's 100-400 - then you will be PERFECTLY HAPPY with older body that can be had for sometime around $100 or lower !! ( I bought my second K10D recently - body only, with ONLY 800 clicks on it !! - for £60 ) - so there ARE bargains out there.

The only thing that is needed with older Pentax digital bodies is focusing calibration - which can be done fairly easily and is only needed once.
Other than that - only split screen installed completes the camera to become a K1000 Digital Counterpart - on steroids !! With 1/4000th s. shutter speed and Shake Reduction!

But if you are looking at shooting in low light or at ISO's above 400 - then you will be better off with cameras that were recommended above !
--manntax

04-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Adam, robthebloke, manntax;

Thank you for responding to my questions.

My previous line of work [for 20+ years] was appraising business properties. After a few years of taking pictures with my Pentax K1000 I felt like I was somewhat of a professional photographer. I got to the point where I could expertly focus the lens and adjust the light to where just about 100% of my pictures came out great.

Then, in the year 2002, my work dried up and my business was gone. I fumbled around for several years and then finally I got a job selling office supplies. A few years ago I started looking at cameras. I was shocked to find that film cameras were almost gone.

My first Pentax K100 [the one that was stolen in 1995] began to get worn I used it so much. The replacement one I bought still looks and works great.