Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dust inside my K-50 LCD

I know other people have posted this problem and have read some comments. It still is not clear to me, what the cause and solution is for this problem. I contacted the seller today and am waiting to hear back about my options. I ordered my camera via Amazon from a seller in Canada and so cannot easily access the seller. It took a couple weeks to have it shipped in the first place. So, any ideas or information or experiences that others have had with this problem, are welcome. I want to resolve it and I also want to know why it is happening. I am beginning to see that it is rather a common issue with More than one Pentax camera model. I wonder if other companies deal with this as well? Is it due to the camera "breathing"? Or is it a faulty seal? My camera and lens are WR. Can I avoid this problem or fix it myself? Lots of questions. Dismayed by the problem. Looking for all the information and solutions available.

Thank you!!

04-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum!
My K-50 has never seen a spec of dust in its screen.
Use your imagination: How did it get there? How much more dust is inside the camera?
Maybe someone operated it with its covers open? Maybe the screen has been re-attached?
If you paid good money for it and feel like it doesn't measure up, Amazon will accommodate your return.
If it was a "smoking-hot deal", maybe the undisclosed damage is the reason why.
04-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust on the LCD or dust on the sensor? The latter is a common complaint and is a fact of life with dSLRs. The former, I am not familiar with. If you camera was purchased new and the dust is under the rear LCD glass, this might be a warranty issue to take up with the seller or Pentax.

Steve
04-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Welcome to the Forum!
My K-50 has never seen a spec of dust in its screen.
Use your imagination: How did it get there? How much more dust is inside the camera?
Maybe someone operated it with its covers open? Maybe the screen has been re-attached?
If you paid good money for it and feel like it doesn't measure up, Amazon will accommodate your return.
If it was a "smoking-hot deal", maybe the undisclosed damage is the reason why.
I have used my imagination. I can't imagine how dust would accumulate under the LCD. I have seen it posted here and on other forums but with very little actual information given. So, I know it is not that unusual of a problem and that I am not alone. I also know that nobody as of yet can tell my why or how it is happening and what to do about it. I don't operate the camera in any manner that is unusual. I own one lens so rarely if never take the lens off the body. I did look inside the body however to investigate and there was no dust inside. I have not owned it for very long. My images have no dust on them, they are nice. if dust is getting in there, and continues to get in there, might there be a bigger problem or flaw? That is my main concern. Also, for that amount of money spent, there should not be a problem like this, or any problems. It is brand new. It was not a "smoking hot deal," although it was a good deal.The seller has 5 star rating. I hope they can help me. If anyone else has experienced this, I would like to hear about it.

---------- Post added 04-13-14 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dust on the LCD or dust on the sensor? The latter is a common complaint and is a fact of life with dSLRs. The former, I am not familiar with. If you camera was purchased new and the dust is under the rear LCD glass, this might be a warranty issue to take up with the seller or Pentax.

Steve
Thank you. I have contacted the seller. I hope to hear back soon.

04-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you look through the view finder is that dust visible there a well?
04-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
No dust in the view finder.
04-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sending it in to be serviced under the warranty. Finally talked to someone who has seen this before. Getting it fixed, but will miss my camera immensely. Have to ship it to AZ. Maybe this thread will be helpful to someone who runs into this .

04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Servicing means breaking the seals and as the K-50 is weather sealed it's difficult to imagine how visible dust gained access under the LCD glass unless the camera had been opened before you bought it. I can imagine dust being caught under an LCD protector though.
Would have been nice if you could have posted a picture of the problem for reference
04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
Here is a link with a photo of the exact same issue.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142537-dust-underneath-k-5-lcd-screen.html

Last edited by EdithCosmos; 04-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.
04-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Servicing means breaking the seals and as the K-50 is weather sealed it's difficult to imagine how visible dust gained access under the LCD glass unless the camera had been opened before you bought it. I can imagine dust being caught under an LCD protector though.
Would have been nice if you could have posted a picture of the problem for reference
It is under the glass.