Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are these spots?

Weird thing, got the camera two weeks ago.. installed the kit lens and have NOT removed it from body for few days...

I noticed then two sizable (when seen in 22" full screen) marks in the photos... I first assumed I had dirt on the lens and figure i'd clean it once i got the proper cloth.

Well, got three lenses last week (LBA babe!) and started to play with them... and guess what? The same spots at the same place!

Camera is brand new, I've only had carefully exposed the internals ONCE to install the kit lens so I cannnot conceive there is dust already in the sensor!

I tried using the "shaker" (he he he) but it didnt help.

here are the originals for download (the forum sizes are too small, and it may seem like the spots are small, but once viewed full screen is VERY NOTICEABLE).

2shared - download K10D Samples.zip

Can someone experienced just confirm is only dust somewhere and that all is takes is some good cleaning?

Here are some pictures, using the kit lens, 50 f2 and a vivitar 70-210:

Thanks in advance guys!

BB

04-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #2

Hi BBear,

It looks like dust to me...
I have had the same from time to time, as I use loads of old primes.

I usually fix it using some compressed "dry gas" (carefully) on the sensor with the body set on a long exposure (15-30s)

François
04-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The spots seems to be at the exact same place on every picture, common sense would say that it is only dust, and that the dust is on the sensor, which is fairly easy to remove with a manual blower ("squeezeable rubber thingy that blows air" as I am not certain about the correct term).

Even though you got the spots just by installing the kit lens, and nothing else, it is a small chance some dust will get in when the camera is open. If I remember right (which I doubt), the sensor is a little static charged, so it is basically a magnet for all the dust floating inside the camera. Imagine the mirror inside working as a giant fan every time you press the shutter, shooting the dust at your sensor.

Edit:
Don't remember exactly, but do NOT use compressed air on the sensor. It is far too strong, and a little mistake, and you got a CCD freezed to death.

Last edited by KjetilH; 04-22-2008 at 08:15 AM.
04-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #4

BBear, since the spots have the exact same location and size/appearance on every shot, I would suggest that these are sticky particles on the sensor. The "shaker" does not always work... Before you touch anything tough, try an air blower (not the canned ones!!!!). Try to blow gently some air on the sensor, with the camera facing downwards.

Gene

Edit: Put the camera on "cleaning mode" first, which locks up the mirror until you turn the camera off.

04-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
BBear, since the spots have the exact same location and size/appearance on every shot, I would suggest that these are sticky particles on the sensor. The "shaker" does not always work... Before you touch anything tough, try an air blower (not the canned ones!!!!). Try to blow gently some air on the sensor, with the camera facing downwards.

Gene

Edit: Put the camera on "cleaning mode" first, which locks up the mirror until you turn the camera off.

Thanks for all the replies! I do appreciate it!

Now I do hope these are simply dust on the sensor. Only thing that still bothers me is that it does NOT show in EVERY picture, but 3/4 of them. Weird weird weird.

I guess I have to buy a cleaning kit soon!

Which cleaning kit is "PentaxForum" approved?

Thanks!
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
JMS

Use a Giottos Rocket Blower.
04-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The smaller the aperture, the more defined the spots will be -- and probably the more that will show. Stop your lens down to f32 (or the smallest you have available) and take a picture of a white wall -- focus needn't be important. It's better to underexpose than over expose. . and you will be able to see the dust on the sensor much clearer.
04-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
The smaller the aperture, the more defined the spots will be -- and probably the more that will show. Stop your lens down to f32 (or the smallest you have available) and take a picture of a white wall -- focus needn't be important. It's better to underexpose than over expose. . and you will be able to see the dust on the sensor much clearer.
Thanks for the tip!

Will do it tonight!

04-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd say it was dust. Not only that but you have two more spots that you didn't point out. One is near the bottom edge directly below thw spots you highlighted. The other is a little higher up than the bottom spot and is along the right edge. As JMS suggested, use a rocket blower, that should do the trick. DONT use compressed CO2 or any compressed air in a can. They can do more harm than good. If the rocket blower doesnt work you may wish to review this website regarding sensor cleaning.
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction
My local camera repair shop charges about $100 to do a cleaning on a digital camera.
04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Use a Giottos Rocket Blower.

Yes, it seems like Giottos is "PentaxForum" approved! Lots of people recommending them...

TIA!
04-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeFanch Quote
Hi BBear,

It looks like dust to me...
I have had the same from time to time, as I use loads of old primes.

I usually fix it using some compressed "dry gas" (carefully) on the sensor with the body set on a long exposure (15-30s)

François
Francois: not a good idea to use compressed air. Much better to use a hand bulb. The compressed gas can cause serious (dispendieux) damage with the slightest little error.
04-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #12

BBear,

I actually had more dust on the sensor when I bought my K10D than I do now some 3500 exposures later, and haven't had to clean it since early October if memory serves.

What I do to clean the sensor is mount the camera on a tripod, point the lens mount down, and use both hands on the Rocket Blower so I can give a forceful squeeze and control where the tip is pointing. Having the lens mount point down allows the dirt that doesn't stick to the adhesive strip to fall out of the camera, rather than just settling somewhere else in the mirror box.
04-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
BBear,

I actually had more dust on the sensor when I bought my K10D than I do now some 3500 exposures later, and haven't had to clean it since early October if memory serves.

Ouch!! So i guess u know how I feel!

QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
What I do to clean the sensor is mount the camera on a tripod, point the lens mount down, and use both hands on the Rocket Blower so I can give a forceful squeeze and control where the tip is pointing. Having the lens mount point down allows the dirt that doesn't stick to the adhesive strip to fall out of the camera, rather than just settling somewhere else in the mirror box.
Great tip! Thanks!
04-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Those look like arrows to me, not spots. Faulty firmware?

j/k
04-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Those look like arrows to me, not spots. Faulty firmware?

j/k
Que me matar do coracao, cara?!