Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What would I sacrifice from a K50 over a K5 IIs?

Okay, so we had a great discussion on the possibility of upgrading my K10D to a K5 IIs.

So now I'm wondering what is sacrificed if a K50 was considered. It looks like the same sensor with a newer processor, so what differences would be expected in comparing the K50 and K5 IIs, specifically as an update to my K10D?

Thanks for the continued help!

04-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5IIs has no AA filter and it has a different processor which allows bigger bit depth of the photo (more data saved, higher dynamic range and tonality), but doesn't allow focus peaking.
The K-5 series is a more pro-oriented camera than the K-30, K-50, so it allows some features like combining timer and bracketing, more button customization, etc. It doesn't have as much automation, as it expects the photographer won't rely on "scene" modes, but will do things by hand.
Also the overall build: The K-5 has a tougher body and has a top LCD screen and a slightly different button layout (might have some more knobs and dials, not sure off the top of my head)
Oh, and the video capabilities are different (the files get saved in a different manner), and K-5 has external mic jack.

This is also a pretty interesting feature of this forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=k3&c2=k5ii&c3=k50

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-14-2014 at 10:32 AM.
04-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The top LCD screen is very useful in the field, it's much easier to check settings there with a quick glance.
04-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Having originally bought a K50, which I like(d) The K5 lls hands down is a much better camera. There are a lot of things I consider sacrificed with the K50 vs the K5 lls for which the supplied link provides. Key elements I consider is IQ, bit depth, dynamic range, auto focus, quietness to name a few. The K50 is a decent camera but once I got my hands on a K5 lls took a few pictures, saw the IQ difference along with how well this camera is laid out and a shear pleasure to use I knew I made the right choice for me. I am sure the K3 is even better but this became affordable to me, especially after buying my K50 a few months before. I did pick up a battery grip and now it fits my hand like a glove which is even more of a plus. I am not knocking the K50 in any manner just voicing my experience and preference by owning both cameras.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-14-2014 at 11:33 AM.
04-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by applejax Quote
what differences would be expected in comparing the K50 and K5 IIs, specifically as an update to my K10D?
I have a K5 and a K-50.

The K5 models do not have focus peaking.
This can be a disadvantage when using manual lenses,
and was the key factor that made me decide
to get the K-50 rather than the K5 IIs
as a second body to use along with my original K5.

You will also need to ask
if the difference between 12 and 14-bit color
is significant for your uses.
The AA filter in the K-50 is noticeably less obstructive
than the one in the K5,
so again, I'm not sure if the further improvement
offered by the K5 IIs would be significant for your uses.
04-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by applejax Quote
Okay, so we had a great discussion on the possibility of upgrading my K10D to a K5 IIs.

So now I'm wondering what is sacrificed if a K50 was considered. It looks like the same sensor with a newer processor, so what differences would be expected in comparing the K50 and K5 IIs, specifically as an update to my K10D?

Thanks for the continued help!
Well, going from the K10D both cameras are big upgrades. The K-5 was designed to be a higher-end model, but it's also older than the K-50, which means its video features and live view AF aren't quite up to par. You do get advanced features like a quieter shutter, ultrasonic dust removal, faster FPS, a larger buffer, 14-bit RAW, more buttons, and better ergonomics. I would recommend going for the K-5 IIs unless you really care about video or live view shooting. If you do, then I'd recommend saving up for a K-3 as it's got the best of both worlds, and a price drop is inevitable later this year (IMO). But then again you could also go down the K-50 route and use the extra cash for some nice lenses. After all, it's basically just $450 via this deal, plus you get a free flash that you can sell. And about $20 in rewards on top of that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The ability of the K-5 IIs to use a Battery Grip is a big deal to me (I leave mine attached almost all the time) since I'll do events with 1000+ portrait orientation shots in a couple of hours. Otherwise your arms get way too tired. You can even get third-party ones for as low as $36 (and it's still good).
04-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

The battery in the K5 (any version, as well as the K7, and the K-01) is large and lasts seemingly forever sometimes. The K30/K50 battery is much smaller and won't last as long... but, it still lasts long enough for most occasions. Unless you have your screen brightness turned up, you chimp constantly, and you use the flash a lot, it may not be a problem. The K30/K50 battery is small and light, and it's easy to carry a spare in you pocket. You can also use the AA battery adapter in the K30/K50.

The K5iis doesn't have focus peaking, which is my biggest gripe about it. If I think I'll want to use my manual-focus lenses, I'll carry the K-01 or K30.

The K5 has 'X' mode for flash sync (1/180). This makes using an external flash easier.

04-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can use the focus confirmation in the K5 for manual focus lenses.
04-14-2014, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-5 classic and a K-30(basically the same as K-50), a few differences that I've noticed

1. Shutter noise, K-5 is much much quieter, but in most circumstances irrelevant.
2. Shoulder LCD in K-5, it is very handy to check settings on the fly, and turning the back LCD off improves battery usage.
3. Battery life, K-5 is better hands down, although as mentioned earlier you can always carry spare batteries or use AA batteries which lasts longer.
4. Remote shutter port in the back and remote triggered/timer bracketing in K-5 makes life a lot easier when you are doing long exposure/bracketing with a tripod.
5. Locking Mode dial in the K-5 is more secure, I had a few instances when I take the K-30 out of the bag to take a shot without checking the dial and it turned out the exposure mode was not right...
6. Grip, both camera is good, but for a day of street shoot carrying the camera in hand I actually prefer the K-30's deeper grip, if I want to carry K-5 for a long period of time I usually use my BlackRapid straps because it would be easier on my hands.
7. Focus Peaking in K-30, I got hook on this function since K-01, so much so I wouldn't buy K-5IIs even though it fixes the only problem I have with the K-5 which is the AF.
8. AF, K-30(K-50) got a newer AF system than K-5, although not up to the later K-5II/K-3 standard but still feels more confident than original K-5
9. Prime M engine in K-30 produces punchier JPG than K-5's Prime II, and maybe there is a weaker AA filter in K-30, I seems to get more detail than K-5. Also the newer engine makes the camera more responsive when reviewing photo and doesn't take ages to process in camera corrections.
10. 12bit RAW vs 14bit RAW, for pulling shadows K-5 files are marginally better, not a deal breaker for most people( depend on your usage too, I use K-30 for street and casual shoot mostly where bit rate is not that important and K-5 for my long exposure stuff, where better bit rate can make a difference)
11. Auto ISO Parameter settings in the K-5, you can customise your preference in K-5 to bias towards faster shutter speed, standard, and slower shutter speed, this function is missing in K-30, it may not be a big deal for most people but I still prefer the option to set it to my preference.
12. SR in the K-5 takes a shorter time to spool up, although when I use my K-30 for snapshots where response time is critical I turn SR of and use TAv anyway.
13. Changing ISO in K-5 is easier than K-30 for me, I don't even have to take my eye off the viewfinder.

Because you are upgrading from K10D which is 4 generations old, you have to ask yourself, which aspect is driving you to upgrade? K-5IIs and K-30/K-50 have basically the same sensor, so it comes down to handling and features that suits your needs. (or if you have the $$ and want the latest and greatest, get the K-3, best AF system and feature set in Pentax history,and be happy)

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 04-14-2014 at 06:12 PM.
04-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
You can use the focus confirmation in the K5 for manual focus lenses.
Yes, but it's not nearly as useful (in my experience). Focus peaking works everywhere in the frame, all the time, and requires no manual input (other than turning the lens focusing ring). The focus points used by the focus confirmation indicators are only in certain spots (not always the spots I want to focus on), and require you to move the active focus point indicator around with the buttons. It works... but it's not nearly as fluid. If the OP doesn't use manual lenses, then it's not an issue. If he uses manual lenses often, focus peaking is a big deal.

---------- Post added 04-14-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I have a K-5 classic and a K-30(basically the same as K-50), a few differences that I've noticed

4. Remote shutter port in the back and remote triggered/timer bracketing in K-5 makes life a lot easier when you are doing long exposure/bracketing with a tripod.

6. Grip, both camera is good, but for a day of street shoot carrying the camera in hand I actually prefer the K-30's deeper grip, if I want to carry K-5 for a long period of time I usually use my BlackRapid straps because it would be easier on my hands.

9. Prime M engine in K-30 produces puncher JPG than K-5's Prime II, and maybe there is a weaker AA filter in K-30, I seems to get more detail than K-5. Also the newer engine makes the camera more responsive when reviewing photo and doesn't take ages to process in camera corrections.
4. The fact that the K5 series is able to activate exposure bracketing AND 2-second mirror lock-up at the same time is great (if you use a tripod often). I was really bummed when I found out my K30 couldn't do that. It seems as if it's just a firmware limitation.

6. I agree about the grip on the K30. It is a great hiking camera because the camera seems to really hang on to your fingers when you are carrying it at your side. I always wondered if the K50 grip was the same.
04-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

FWIW, I get better focusing results with my Manual Focus lenses on my K200D (which is largely similar to the K10D) than on my K-5 or K-5 IIs. So I don't feel like I miss what the K-30/K-50 would've offered me in this regard - I just use the older camera.
04-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I don't feel like I miss what the K-30/K-50 would've offered me in this regard - I just use the older camera.

Have you tried focus peaking?

In my experience, it's the feature on the K-01 and K-50
that make the A50/1.2 a really worthwhile lens.
04-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Have you tried focus peaking?

In my experience, it's the feature on the K-01 and K-50
that make the A50/1.2 a really worthwhile lens.
No, I haven't, since I haven't purchased one of those models. I might like it.

I probably don't know what I'm missing. And I have a K50/1.2 it could help on. But I offered this idea as an alternative.
04-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, all. I suspected the K5IIs would be the camera for me (if I actually pull the trigger), but the price difference is tempting. The price difference is there for a reason, so I think the K5IIs would be the way to go.