Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Joe,
I only turn it off when using a tripod or copy stand.

Dave

03-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is currently a debate about whether SR (or AS, SSS, IS, or whatever you want to call it) should be turned off at certain high shutter speeds too.

There are some that argue that at high enough shutter speeds (for example 1/500sec. or higher) that a person can take the photo faster than the SR can adjust for. In other words, the SR can still be on the move while the shutter is finishing taking the shot. Ergo, some blurriness is actually being caused by the SR mechanism being too slow in moving.
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Wow! This is a 3 year old thread being resurrected but I'll add a thought I don't see mentioned. I always turn SR off when I have mounted my Sigma 17-70mm f 2.8-4 lens. The OS built into the lens is superior to the SR in the camera by 1 to 1-1/2 stops so I use it.
03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
There is currently a debate about whether SR (or AS, SSS, IS, or whatever you want to call it) should be turned off at certain high shutter speeds too.

There are some that argue that at high enough shutter speeds (for example 1/500sec. or higher) that a person can take the photo faster than the SR can adjust for. In other words, the SR can still be on the move while the shutter is finishing taking the shot. Ergo, some blurriness is actually being caused by the SR mechanism being too slow in moving.
If the SR is "too slow in moving" then it won't actually effect anything when taking photos at high shutter speeds - since by your words, it wouldn't have moved so much by the time the shot has been made. Then, it's no different from leaving SR off. So, may as well keep it on.

03-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vylen: It ends up being a similar effect to the shutter speed not being quite fast enough to stop the subject's movement, just in reverse.

Last edited by zekewhipper; 03-27-2011 at 04:16 PM.
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #21

I was watching a podcast earlier today and heard it's best to turn it off when using a very slow shutter speed (consequently when it's on a tripod anyways)... just for the simple fact of overheating and battery drain.
03-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm I don't turn it off manually...

the camera turns it off for me when the SR "isn't allowed" for the situation, such as when shooting in HDR mode in the K-x so in a way... I don't turn it off~

03-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I rarely turn it off on my K-r. I have noticed that when I change the setting so that I can use a wireless remote shutter release, the camera turns SR off for me. Cool feature!
03-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I see SR as gimmick of some sort...... I see no difference whatsoever it being on or off on K100D and Kx.
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Vylen: It ends up being a similar effect to the shutter speed not being quite fast enough to stop the subject's movement, just in reverse.
I have yet to notice anything of the sort...

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
I see SR as gimmick of some sort...... I see no difference whatsoever it being on or off on K100D and Kx.
Mount a 50mm lens, select, say, 1/8s shutter speed, handhold the camera...post the result with and without SR.

Or a 200mm+ lens and shoot at 1/100s.

I've done both--neither are easy (if not impossible) without SR.
03-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
For those of you that do turn it of, except on a triod, why do you? Why on MF lenses? Why when panning? Why in bright light at speeds of 1500?
I turn it off when it`s on a tripod or when I`m panning simply because PENTAX say I should and they know more about their cameras than I do ( although it`s amazing how many people on this forum know more than PENTAX.)
Simmo
03-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Only on a tripod.
04-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by depths&heights Quote
I was watching a podcast earlier today and heard it's best to turn it off when using a very slow shutter speed (consequently when it's on a tripod anyways)... just for the simple fact of overheating and battery drain.
That will not help much, the same servomotors used to lift and hold the sensor when SR is on is used to lift and hold the sensor when SR is off.
04-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I woud like the option for always on SR rather then SR only when half press shutter and then waiting that few moments while the SR kicks in and the SR icon lights up.
04-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #30

I almost never turn SR off on my camera except when it's on a tripod. I'm sure there have been times when I forgot to turn it off, but most of those times when it's on a tripod I used the 2 second delay and the remote which turns it off anyway.