Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Do you ever turn SR off?

I know you're supposed to turn SR off when using a tripod, but are there any other instances when you should? Or any times when you do? Some say to turn it off when panning, but I've got some great pan-blur shots with it on. Thing is, I often forget it's even there.

What do you think?

04-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
Thing is, I often forget it's even there.

What do you think?

I think i do forget about it too... even when using the tripod!

Yesterday I was shooting the moon and half way i realized I had left the SR on... oh well..

Coming back to regular shooting mode (no tripod) I wonder if there is any negatives if you leave SR on all the time...

BB
04-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't know why they waste money on a switch. I did some test shots with it off and on when mounted to a tripod, and I couldn't tell the difference. It would make a better menu option -- as sometimes I turn it off by accident, and I end up with some blurry photos.

But, none of my tripods are super heavy, so the heavy K10D jiggles around on the end of the tripod anyway -- if ever so slightly. Maybe it matters if you have a serious tripod -- and I assume most 'regular' folks don't.

Maybe it's just marketing? You see the switch, you associate Shake Reduction with Pentax -- as CanoNikon doesn't have a 'special' shake reduction switch.
04-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good question. I always forget about switching it off especially when using a tripod. Maybe I am just always excited whenever I get a chance to shoot !

04-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

in a word NO

Actually only when on a tripod
04-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm never sure when I have it on or off. It just isn't important to me, and I haven't noticed any difference in the photographs with my style of shooting.

While using the tripod I usually use a 2 second delay, which turns it off.
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

I have to say I have it on at all times... on tripod I use 2sec delay which turns it off. Some people say it slows AF, I'm not sports or children photographer and with landsacpes you have enough time to wait few extra miliseconds...
Question though: does it affect battery life?
04-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I turn it off when using manual zooms, unless I'm doing something at the 200mm+ end. I don't believe anyone has conclusively determined whether or not the incorrect focal length entered into the SR menu makes a difference.

With primes, or my one AF lens, or when doing lots of work at a certain FL (say, 24mm on the 24-50 zoom, or 420mm with the Tamron + TC), I'll use SR. Or, in lower light, I'll enter the length in the menu.

04-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I do when using a tripod or shooting with plenty of light (plenty = 1/1000 shutter speed @ ISO 200)
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I have to say I have it on at all times... on tripod I use 2sec delay which turns it off.
Me too.
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I turn it off when using manual zooms, unless I'm doing something at the 200mm+ end. I don't believe anyone has conclusively determined whether or not the incorrect focal length entered into the SR menu makes a difference.

With primes, or my one AF lens, or when doing lots of work at a certain FL (say, 24mm on the 24-50 zoom, or 420mm with the Tamron + TC), I'll use SR. Or, in lower light, I'll enter the length in the menu.

I've tried setting SR to 200mm when using a 70mm lens. Bad idea. The sensor moved more than it was supposed to and my pictures came out even blurrier.
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter

When Tracking a Moving Subject

Its on 99% of the time.

I'll turn it off when panning or tracking a highly animated moving subject (running dog, flushed bird, etc.) and it's a one time snap type shot that requires a quick movement by me to go from 'the ready' to 'the snap'.

On the other hand, its not really necessary to do so, if your subject's trajectory is fairly predictable (troops marching by, cars racing by in a road rally, etc.). Do some test shots and keep in mind that you can turn it off if need be...

Enjoy...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-23-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Offer a more complete observation
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

For those of you that do turn it of, except on a triod, why do you? Why on MF lenses? Why when panning? Why in bright light at speeds of 1500?
04-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I've tried setting SR to 200mm when using a 70mm lens. Bad idea. The sensor moved more than it was supposed to and my pictures came out even blurrier.
Aha, I was hoping Pentax knew what they were doing when they made you enter in the focal length
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
For those of you that do turn it of, except on a triod, why do you? Why on MF lenses? Why when panning? Why in bright light at speeds of 1500?
I turn it off when switching focal lengths like on a zoom, because I don't want to hit Menu -> Up arrow -> Right arrow -> select length -> OK -> tap shutter every time I want to go from 28mm to 24mm.

And doesn't SR help panning?
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The point of SR is that the mechanism is looking for movement to compensate. If there is no movement, it will still try to compensate. That might result in a "blurrier" picture (might not be that noticeable). As for panning, I think there is a thread on this issue. If you have SR on, the supposed blurry part of the picture might appear "double image" instead, definitely not desirable.