Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you size down photos

without losing resolution? If I have a photo where I can crop down quite a bit, that works, but what about large scale photos? Currently I'm using the Pentax software that came with the camera.

04-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sweet bay Quote
without losing resolution? If I have a photo where I can crop down quite a bit, that works, but what about large scale photos? Currently I'm using the Pentax software that came with the camera.
I don't believe this is possible with the pentax software, I use Paint SHop Pro for my photoediting, it has a Resize function for scaling down photos, but there is no wat to resize without loss of data and detail
04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"size down without losing resolution" is ambiguous.

If you're talking about 'size' as 'memory' you can save the jpg. with higher compression at the cost of Image Quality.

If you're talking about cropping a picture and then wishing to enlarge the crop to the original pixel dimensions, this is called re-sampling -- where the computer will 'guess' at the pixels to be added to the final image.

It's could also mean some other things.

A more thorough explanation of what you're trying to accomplish would clarify the answer greatly.
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I might suggest that if you really mean "size down" as make the file size smaller, that you just buy another hard drive. Storage space is cheap.

It might also help to find what use you have for the photos. Web use (email, web pages, forums, etc) generally don't need more than 800px on the longest side. It'll increase the download speed alot.

04-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My landscape photos are huge -- around 500K -- and I need to size them down so that people can download them more quickly.
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My landscape photos are huge -- around 500K -- and I need to size them down so that people can download them more quickly.
OK. That makes sense. You want the files for displaying on the web.

I like this program to batch resize my photos for web posting:

adionSoft Fast Image Resizer - Freeware

Set it up to place the resized images in a resized folder. You can also specify the compression ratio which will also effect the file size.

Be careful! Make sure it's not overwriting your original files You won't get them back if you do that. Make a test folder with some image copies to play around before you start resizing stuff in large batches.

This will change the resolution tho!

If you don't want to change the resolution, you need to resave the files with a higher compression ratio, at the cost of quality. See this link:
JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
04-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I am confused... did u mean 500 Kb?! That is not big at all... usually at 10MP a low JPEG compression the files are around 3 MB (+3,000 Kb) so 500 Kbs is very "emailable".

On the other hand, if you plan on emailing 20 pictures at 500 Kb that could be a problem.... Either compress the JPEG a bit more (same 10 MP size) OR resize the picture itself (reduce from 10MP to whatever you want).
04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #8

Please don't make me laugh so hard when I'm eating. That whole coke back up the nose thing and all... The first half of that statement is positively hilarious. For web viewing I understand wanting to drop down even lower for web viewing but when many here are dealing with 10 megs per image....

If your images have fine detail that you feel is important to be web viewed you may be disappointed if you go significantly lower. You may also find that 100-150 K will yield results that fit YOUR deisres. Best of luck and thanks for the chuckle.

04-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
MS Office Document Imaging
04-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know a big file is more like 2 GB -- but I have people on dial-up complaining they can't see the photos -- maybe they'll just have to do without since I don't want to lose all of the detail. They are saying more than 120K is big, when many images here are 300K. I am posting these images on another forum, often 15 at a time.

Thank you for your replies, especially konraDarnok and bymy141.
04-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #11

I know a big file is more like 2 GB -- but I have people on dial-up complaining they can't see the photos -- maybe they'll just have to do without since I don't want to lose all of the detail. They are saying more than 120K is big, when many images here are 300K. I am posting these images on another forum, often 15 at a time.

Thank you for your replies, especially konraDarnok and bymy141.
Hi Sweet Bay

I use PhotoFiltre, its a freeware package and seems to work well, it allows you to select the number of pixels across and down and will then resize the picture to fit that. For instance I've resized some of mine to 1024 x 768 which then fill my screen when used as wallpaper.

Good luck
Brian
04-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Google Picasa. It is freeware, and also an excellent picture manager. Simple "export picture to folder" and choose the size you want. Picasa Link
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Or if you use flickr to host your images you can just set the uploader to automatically resize the images on upload. Its not the ideal solutions as you generally want to sharpen after you resize, but its easy.
04-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Whenever you reduce the size of a photo, you are reducing the number of pixels which make up the photo - and that always comes with a reduction in resolution.

Depending on what you intend to use it for, it may or may not matter.
A reduced file meant for viewing on a standard sized computer screen may still be perfectly adequate.