Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Trapezoid prism viewfinder, not pentaprism on 645Z. Soon on COMPACT APC or FF?

Trapezoid prism optical viewfinder, not pentaprism anymore!
I guess we should expect a close to K-01 size SLR in the near future! I love the optical viewfinder and love the smaller size of mirror-less. We shall get them both!
Great job, pentax! But wait, is pentax going to be renamed as "trapezoidAX? :-)

Just posted in the front page of 645Z, but want to post here again. I am really looking forward to a compact SLR (APS or FF).

04-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can not find a good image for the Trapezoid prism viewfinder
Attached Images

04-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Trapezoid prism optical viewfinder, not pentaprism anymore!
The Pentax 645 cameras never had pentaprisms because the mirror box is so big that a different design was needed to keep things compact (vertically). A trapezoid prism is still a prism though, as opposed to a mirror in cheaper DSLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A trapezoid prism is still a prism
Yes, it is a prism, much better than mirror. But it is quite different from classic pentaprism. As you said, it is much shorter. I wonder why the APS DSLRs can not have such low profile prism.

04-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Yes, it is a prism, much better than mirror. But it is quite different from classic pentaprism. As you said, it is much shorter. I wonder why the APS DSLRs can not have such low profile prism.
Because the pentaprism can be made small enough in those cameras. There's much more vertical space and none of the extra length introduced by the 645's mirror box. I think it all boils down to what design is best-suited for the size of the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. I guess I was too exited. 645 was never on my radar and I knew very little about it.
True, pentaprism for 135mm has been there for many years and there is very little room for improvement.