Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop, as part of the CS3 suite. Seldom need to open other image tools on my system these days, unless I'm going to do really radical transformations on a photo. Then I move the file back and forth between Photoshop and Studio Artist.

Still, sitting on my hard drives are the following, seldom-used programs: iPhoto, PhotoImpression, Arcsoft's PanoramaMaker, Corel Painter, MorphX, PixelINhance, Image Tricks, the GIMP, and the Nikon and Pentax software bundles.

Have tried out the demos of Lightroom and Aperture, and haven't seen enough reason to switch from Photoshop, which I've used since version 1.0. When the 800-pound gorilla is your pal, why switch?

Last edited by christinelandon; 04-25-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: oops, forgot one!
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quantum Quote
I use Photoshop and Noise Ninja. I'd love to get Genuine Fractals so I can crop more but this wil have to wait for a while.
I'm sure it'll be worth the wait and worth saving for. It's currently my second most used PS plug-in, after the nik Software plug-in set.
04-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote

Concerning RAW, have you tried UFRAW? I somtimes use it but I can't get it to transfer to GIMP. I have to save the converted file first and then start up GIMP and load it. I usually do my RAW conversion with either Pentax Photo Lab (Silkypix) or Raw Therapee (freeware).
Use GIMP to open the PEF file, not UFRaw. Since UFRaw is a plug in for GIMP, Using GIMP to open the PEF file automatically fires up UFRaw. And then from there you can click "ok" and the file will be taken straight into the GIMP.
04-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #64
Inactive Account

I use Expression Media but I"m not happy with it as it doesn't respect the tree structure: I use the YYYY-MM-DD system to catalog my photos and Expression Media jumbles it.

I contacted Microcoft about it and this is the answer I got:

QUOTE:
I was able to reproduce this issue on my computer.

Expression Media imports the catalogs, and sorts the folders on the Catalog Folders by the Operative System (Windows XP in this case) Created Date.

This means that Microsoft Expression Media will sort the folders from the Oldest to the Newest.
END OF QUOTE.

That makes it pretty useless to me.

I still have iView MediaPro but the filenames have suddenly become shortened according to the DOS system like "2005871~1" which makes it useless too.

I'm told that it is the new version of Quicktime which is responsible for it. Unfortunately I'm unable to return to the previous version...

Other than that, I use CaptureOne 4 or sometimes Silkypix, then CS2. I also have Lightroom but never liked it.

04-27-2008, 04:30 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I use Silkypix and PPL for processing, FastStone for viewing and resizing images.
04-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #66
Inactive Account

PhotoShop CS3, the most complete editing tool you can get. For down and dirty I also use Picasa and Paint Shop Pro XII. All have their function and reasons to be used.
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #67

I've used Photoshop since version 4. Currently use CS2 on two Windows XP machines, one of which I just bought. XP is still available if anyone cares. I also use Faststone sometimes for quick viewing but mostly I use Bridge for that. But a lot of the time I just open the folders in Windows Explorer. All of my images, mostly RAW and TIFF but some JPEG'S, are visible there as thumbnails.

Richard

04-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Adobe PS3...on Mac of course!

Ben