Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop Express

For quick and dirty JPG fixes, I've been toying with the online version of Photoshop Express.

Works great for me and it's free.

04-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #32
jdg
Forum Member

CS3 & Lightroom
04-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

One thing I should ask BEFORE all these replies: any of these RAW converters is free?

I know XnView can handle RAW DNG but something is not quite right with this feature in it.

Any other RAW Freebie among the listed softwares?
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like capture one and use paint shop pro if I need to retouch a spot or try a special effect (not too often) still no raw support for k100d super though so for that body (my backup) I use pentax or convert to dng and use C0. I liked lightroom when I was a beta user but didn't want to cough up the $200 for it. I'd rather spend money on glass My favorite part is getting capture one free with a sandisc extreme III last year and a free upgrade.

04-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #35
Forum Member

Raw Shooter Essential 2005. PSP X and Photoshop Elements. PSP X most of the time.
04-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
One thing I should ask BEFORE all these replies: any of these RAW converters is free?

I know XnView can handle RAW DNG but something is not quite right with this feature in it.

Any other RAW Freebie among the listed softwares?
UFRaw is free, as is raw therapee.
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I do as little editing as possible but when I do I use either PS Elements or Picasa. Both are simple programs that allow me to make a few adjustments.

04-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
SilkyPix has a free edition
04-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Lightroom 1.4 for tone control
Photoshop CS3 for layers and pixel editing
Bridge for searching
MS Expression Media for cataloging
NeatImage Pro+ for noise reduction
Irfanview for batch resizing
Eric, maybe you can tell me...

I was impressed at my son-in-law's being able to search by keyword on his Macintosh through the winchester and display images from different folders based on that keyword. For example, he would enter "Gizelle", and would then be able to slide-show all of his images tagged with the Gizelle keyword, no matter when he took them or how he organized them.

Does Bridge have that capability?
04-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #40
PDL
Pentaxian

I have the Pentax Codex on my Vista box - so I can look at the PEF thumbnails in explorer and photogallery. That said it is so slow that normally choose one of the following.
Lightroom 1.4.1
PPL and PPB
Microsoft Digital Image Suite (now discontinued) - Mostly used for JPEG stuff - adding copyright and resizing (works really well - I export TIFF's out of Lightroom)
I have PS elements 5.0 but I have not loaded it, I had it loaded before but I really do not like the interface and the way it builds yet another database to manage images.
Gimp on my Linux box - but the box has real issues detecting USB drives so I have to transfer images using CD's - just not enough time to screw around with all the configuration crap.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
04-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm on Linux (openSUSE 10.3), but all of these are available for WinBloze too...

digiKam for downloading and sorting. (free)
UFRaw / digiKam for batch RAW conversion. (free)
ImageMagick for batch resizing. (free)
LightZone for retouching/cropping/etc. (Linux beta is free for about another week. Full version $199)

I eval'd Lightroom, PhotoImpact, PSP, Bibble, CaptureOne and RawTherapee both on XP and in Linux (some via Wine) and just plain found them all lacking either usability and/or stability compared to the other apps, for Me. I've also used PhotoShop and GIMP and they are just too heavy for my needs. YMMV of course.
04-23-2008, 03:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I use PSE 5 for heavy duty work; IrfanView for everything else.
04-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #43
Banned

for organizing and cataloging my photos as well as doing minor PP and adding copyright info I use Adobe Lightroom there is nothing better IMO. for any other PP such as adding film grain to my B&W digital photos (to fit them in with all my digital 35mm negative scans) I use Adobe Photoshop CS2 & the Exposure2 plugin.
04-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
As is Picasa 2

- Bert
04-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #45

I use picassa for image imports and organising and quick web editing. For proper editing I use combinations of the following free software:

Autostitch for quick panorama creation
AutoStitch

Polaroid dust remover
Polaroid.com

Dynamic Photo HDR
Dynamic Photo HDR, high dynamic range imaging software with Anti-Ghosting

Gimp Portable
GIMP Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

Noiseware for quick noise reduction
Imagenomic Noiseware - Unmatched Noise Reduction for Digital Images

Pano2QTVR to create QTVR panoramas
Garden Gnome Software

RawTherapee - the beast of raw processing
Towards RawTherapee v2.4 - The First Milestone

Recuva for image recovery
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home

All of which work from a USB drive as well, so no problems with using my favourite programs when using a work or mates PC.