Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #46

Another Raw Developer user here. If you are on a Mac, this is the best way I've found to process an entire shoot. It's from Iridient Digital.

04-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like Picasa and use it the most. I have Photoshop Elements 6 also and use it for stuff Picasa can't do. I use GIMP on my Linux box.
04-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #48
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Until recently it was PS CS3, then I tried Lightroom and I am hooked on it now.
04-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I use IMatch 3.6 for all my organization tasks, sorting, culling, metadata, etc.

I use RawTherapee for converting to Tiff or JPG

I use GIMP or Photoshop 6.0 for the rest of my edits (if needed). I don't like to edit photos much, so most corrections I need are done in RawTherapee.

04-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #50
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I open the files in the pentax software and do any WB adjusting needed there. Sometimes noise and CA adjusting if needed. Saved as a Tiff file. Then any heavier edits are done in Paint.net.
I'll size any shots for printing in Microsoft Digital image editor.
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I use Lightroom for WB, exposure, crop and/or straightening ====> CS3 for sharpening.
04-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Aperture 2 and Photoshop CS3. Killer combo. I also use Automator for redundant tasks.

04-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #53

Corel PSP

Conversion - I mostly shoot RAW and I use the included silkypix software from Pentax, sometimes Irfanview. I've been considering shooting .DNG instead of .PEF to eliminate the need to convert from .PEF though.
Editing - I'm using Corel PaintShop Pro Photo XI that I bought about 9 months ago for $70 when I got tired of dealing with the Microsoft PictureIT! software that came with my PC. I still can't believe what Corel PSPP offers for the price, in my opinion it's such a great value (kind of like the K10D, which is why I bought it). I knew at the time that PSPP doesn't have some of the features of PhotoShop, but so far I haven't come up against any feature that I've needed that I don't have. My only real complaint is that it is too bad PaintShop isn't more popular, since most how-to articles in magazines and on the web deal with Lightroom or PhotoShop, but like I said, I've been happy with PaintShop so far. Of course I'm a hobbyist, I don't work in a job that requires me to know PhotoShop, so that doesn't really factor in for me.
04-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #54

I use Aperture 2 for everything. I own a copy of CS3 but I hardly ever use it because it is just to darned complicated. I don't need control over every single pixel so Photoshop is just overkill. I like Aperture so much than when I got my K10 I went back to shooting JPEG until Apple released a RAW update.
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I was impressed at my son-in-law's being able to search by keyword on his Macintosh ...

Does Bridge have that capability?
Hi Steven,

It can, but it's not fast. But, maybe I'm missing something.

That's why I bought Expression Media. I tried out Expression Media for 60 days and I really liked it's cataloging, searching and keywording features, much more than the Adobe products. Searches are very fast and it is well enough integrated to the Adobe products that I have something akin to a workflow.
04-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Probably 90% of my processing is done in Pentax Photolab via Photobrowser. If I need to clone dust or do spot processing, I'll use Photoshop Elements 5.
04-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #57
Forum Member

I use Photoshop and Noise Ninja. I'd love to get Genuine Fractals so I can crop more but this wil have to wait for a while.
04-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #58

Lightroom

I use Lightroom for 95%of editing. The other 5% is spread out between PSCS3, onOne, DxO, and Photomatix.
04-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Exporting for web use

I use GIMP. It struggled a bit when I was working with a 24000x3000 panorama on my E3200 2GB computer but at least it didn't crash handling it like the trial version of the commercial PaintShop X2 did! I was a PSP 3,4,5,6 user for years at work.

Concerning RAW, have you tried UFRAW? I somtimes use it but I can't get it to transfer to GIMP. I have to save the converted file first and then start up GIMP and load it. I usually do my RAW conversion with either Pentax Photo Lab (Silkypix) or Raw Therapee (freeware).

For general browsing, viewing, cropping, resizing, image adjustment and batch conversion the freeware XnView, FastStone Image View and IrfanView programs are all powerful, all can handle .PEF RAW and, unlike GIMP, are fairly easy to use. They all have so many features - I often find myself saying "I didn't know it could do this".

Check out the File | Export command in XnView. Say you've got a high-res RAW, TIFF or JPG from your camera. You want to resize it and place it up on a forum or photo sharing website. After resizing from say 3000x2000 to 1000x667 for web-viewing you then want to save it as a JPG. Now, out of consideration for the people downloading it or because of website photo site restrictions you may want to get the JPG close to 100KB in size. With the Export control you change the JPG Quality setting and preview the final filesize and look at zoomable/scrollable versions of the original & final picture so you can inspect the level of image degradation as you vary the Quality setting. When you find the acceptable trade-off of filesize/quality you want, you complete the export. I really like this feature. (FastStone has this as well under File | SaveAs, when saving a JPG, under Options.) Many other export formats are supported. There are lots of plugins to extend the formats XnView supports.
04-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #60

Raw Developer had been my converter of choice too...until Aperture 2. I never felt that Ap1 or Lightroom could equal RD's ability to pull out detail (especially texture), but the Raw Fine Tuning tools in Ap2 have addressed that. The convenience of an all-in-one processor for Jpeg and Raw, with greating cataloging and publishing capabilities, means RD will only get used for legacy images.

Plus it hasn't been significantly updated in almost a year, so I'm not sure it's really still a viable long-term solution.