Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What is your favorite editing software?

Two people, one on this and one on another forum, use Paint Shop. I've been using the Pentax software. What is your favorite?

04-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the following programs in this order, depending on the needs:

1) ACDSee Classic => organizing / renaming / compressing JPEGs

2) XnView => basic cropping / resizing / basic filters / conversion / EXIF reading

3) Photoshop => heavy editing

Microsoft Picture Manager is also pretty fast and easy to crop / resize. I'd use it more often, but XnView does the same job.
04-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I used to do my editing in Photoshop Elements and now I use Graphic Converter for all the light resize/crop/adjust tasks.
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Adobe Bridge / PSCS3
I also use both FastStone and Infranview for fast viewing and organizing.

04-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #5

Since I discovered PhotoLine ( PhotoLine: Image Processing ) I use it for all my editing. 16 bit colors, CMYK and Lab support, colour management, tons of adjustment layers for non-destructive editing, recordable actions, PDF import/export, PSD import/export (and it even imports photoshop adjustment layers correctly most of the time).
All this for like 1/10-th the price of Photoshop. And did I mention it has fast startup (like lightning fast compared to Photoshop).
OK, I'll stop now - before this will sound like some advertisement
04-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Silkpix -> Lightroom -> Photoshop
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My main editing platform is The Gimp with the UFRaw plugin. I use GThumb2 for browsing/organizing, and sometimes for very simple edits (crop, resize). All under Linux (CentOS).

04-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For the type of shooting I do right now I don't need much in the way of pixel level software processing. I use RAW Developer for my PEF conversion, whole image adjustment and cropping. Sometimes I crack open NoiseNinja for higher ISO or darker photos. For TIFF (8-bit) and JPEG editing I use GraphicConverter, but I've also been known to use GIMP. I also have a separate program from stitching together panoramas, I think it's called Double Take. If I were to add other programs I'd consider something like Capture One (maybe Lightroom, need to test the new beta) since I like that way it renders skin or LightZone for this selective zone brightness adjustment and highlight recovery. I can't really say that I've found one program I'm completely happy with for every possible type of shot.
04-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Adobe Bridge (ACR) - PSCS3
I also use FastStone (Win only) for real quick edits (opens PEF's) and file sizing, as well as creating backgrounds for my Windows Desktop of my amazing work
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #10

I use Lightroom and have been trying out Lightroom2 beta. I think it's great for photographs.
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #11

I use Lightroom and Photoshop Elements 6. I find I can do everything I need with these.
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #12

Converter: Silkypix
Editing: Photoshop
Archive: iView Media Pro
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Lightroom 1.4 for tone control
Photoshop CS3 for layers and pixel editing
Bridge for searching
MS Expression Media for cataloging
NeatImage Pro+ for noise reduction
Irfanview for batch resizing
04-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Holy $hit!

Very interesting... apart from Photoshop, most people use different software! Lots of options on the market... Great stuff!

Cheers
04-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I use Adobe Lightroom to manage my raw files and since late 2006 have used it for the majority of my editing. Six months ago I also bought Light Crafts LightZone, and since then I've done maybe a third of my editing in LightZone, partly because I like the zone mapper tool and partly because I could do selective editing in LightZone.

But things are changing. I'm now doing much of my work in Adobe Lightroom 2. It's still in beta and I'm having for that reason to be extremely conservative in my working habits: I'm making dupicate copies of everything and I export each image immediately after editing, but Lightroom 2b is fantastic, and because it has selective editing ("localized corrections"), it allows me to do nearly everything I need to do without having to go anywhere else. Last 400 images or so that I edited in the last 10 days, I had to go to LightZone just once.

Just today I downloaded The Gimp and installed it for about the third time. I may start using it for a small handful of very special problems that I can't handle in Lightroom (perspective control, and removing "Restroom" signs from the wall immediately behind the bride's head, that sort of thing). I have Photoshop Elements and perhaps I should just install it; but I dislike Photoshop (and Elements) a great deal.

I should add that all my images are ultimately exported from Lightroom to special jpeg folders, and there I review them in Picasa. I use Picasa mainly as an uploader as it works well with SmugMug and Picasa Web Albums.

Will