Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adjusting saturation in Pentax K100d

I'm using the 18-55 kit lens on the K100d and shooting everything in automatic (not scenes, just the regular automatic).
I find that the shots are sometimes over-saturated for my taste but there is no way to adjust the saturation levels in the automatic mode.
What I have tried is to use Adobe Photoshop 7 and de-saturate the image and then fade the saturation until I get back to a color level that looks natural to me. Does anyone have a suggestion of any other work-arounds for this problem. Incidentally, I'm planning to change to the Pentax 50-200 ED lens. Would that lens produce less saturation that the 18-55. Will appreciate help from the forum. Thanks, Freddy

01-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

if you shoot in RAW format, working with oversaturated shots would be quite easy, no? White balance is also auto?
01-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you shoot in the other modes, ie, P,Tv,Av, or M, you can go into the menu and select the image tone. There is a Bright and a Normal rendition available, as well as contrast and sharpness settings.
Also, are you judging the saturation levels based on the computer screen or a photo print? If screen, make sure your computer monitor is calibrated or adjusted for proper photo presentation. If you are judging based on a print, I would recommend that you make sure your color profile is set to Adobe rgb rather than SRGB. SRGB is primarily for computer screen work, Adobe rgb is for prints. I found that I can see the difference in print quality, but it is minor I will admit.

Walt
01-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #4

Auto mode on the K100D defaults to Bright mode with even settings. As mentioned above, any of the other modes allows you to keep the mode you selected in the menu, plus any changes you made to saturation, contrast, and sharpness.

In auto mode, the camera chooses whether portrait, landscape, macro, or moving objects should be used. If you know what you want, it's not hard to learn how to use Av or Tv and prioritize shutter speed or aperture. Or try P.

I don't know if the Adobe Camera Raw plugs into Photoshop 7, but if you haven't tried RAW, I recommend you try some raw shots when you come across some difficult white band environments (like snow scenes). You'll be amazed. I don't use it that much either, but I do when I think WB will matter and have never regretted the extra file size and work..

01-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I tried P mode but found that it does not seem to work without some kind of further adjustments of which I am ignorant. I also tried that with my old Canon S2is but never got anywhere. according to the books P is an automatic mode but It doesn't seem to be.
Regarding Saturation. No question that it is from the camera (or lens) it prints much more saturated than all my professional web shots, any other camera I might use and any images that friends and relatives sent to me. I have just made a decision to get a Pentax 28-105 3.2-4.5 but can't locate one new. They have the Silver/black 28-105 4-5.6 for only $189. but I'm not sure it is as good as the 3.2-4.5. Does anybody have an opinion. I have heard great things about the 3.2. Thanks again, guys
01-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I tried P mode but found that it does not seem to work without some kind of further adjustments of which I am ignorant. I also tried that with my old Canon S2is but never got anywhere. according to the books P is an automatic mode but It doesn't seem to be.
I urge you to forget that Auto Pict is even on the camera. I never use it. To be perfectly honest, it seems to me a shame to spend this much money on such a sophisticated tool and then use it in auto-pilot. If you just want to point and shoot, well, even the S2 was more camera than you needed. Not scolding you here. Just encouraging you to pluck up your courage and step away from automatic mode. You'll never go back.

Actually, the camera has many different automatic modes. Auto Pict is fully automatic - you can't really override any of the camera's decisions there. P (program) mode is very similar to Auto Pict. The camera will select the shutter and aperture for you automatically. But you can now fiddle with exposure compensation using the "Av" button on the right side of the camera, next to the power switch/shutter button. You can also control the ISO using P. Av (aperture priority mode) and Tv (shutter priority mode) allow you to set the aperture or shutter speed respectively; then the camera will figure out what the other setting should be.

I think a lot of new users are timid about these settings, but you should not be. While full Manual (M) mode does give you a chance to wreck your pictures, it's hard to wreck them completely in Av or Tv mode, since the camera is still doing at least half of the thinking for you.

Will
01-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Will, I'm not offended. In fact I appreciate you telling the truth. I should be learning the AV and TV. But will that mean that every time I take a picture I have to adjust the Av or Tv several times until I get it right. I mean, after all, I really can't judge the quality of the picture very well on the LCD, which means I have to guess at what I'm doing. That's why I am so good at Photoshop, so I can correct all my problems, like saturation, etc. I was kind of peeved that I wasn't told when I bought the camera that you couldn't make those color qualities in the camera default you wanted (in automatic, I mean). No review stated that. Now, I am willing to learn if you can give me a few pointers about my above comments. By the way, I'm attaching a shot of "dawn in Brooklyn" that I shot from my terrace. Talk later, Freddy.

Last edited by fevbusch; 02-01-2007 at 03:03 PM.
01-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

P mode is basic automatics.. it also lets the user adjust many settings such as contrast.. saturation.. sharpness.. ISO and a few others.. the camera will remember these settings untill u change them..

set the contrast lower u get less contrast in your pictures.. set the saturation lower u get less colour in your pictures..

the camera will handle the exposure for most normal type shots prefectly well.. it will not alter the setting u have in P mode..

with the contrast and saturation set low and the camera in natural mode your pictures should be wishy wishy or pale and colourless.. the dynamic range will be improved thow.. less blown highlights or too dark shadows..

the k100 does relatively speaking left to its own devices produce "colourfull" pictures but the means to alter this is there and easy to implement..

the av or tv modes can be considered part of P mode.. basic automatics with the ability to bias towards fast shutter large aperture for shallow dof.. or small aperture slower shutter for deeper dof..

for action scenes the shutter speed needs keeping high..

all the other setting u have in are not altered by being in av or tv mode..

forget all the silly scene modes they are a waste of space.. just there as selling points for newbie camera buyers.. in truth its more complicated to ues them than learn the basics of P mode..

camera in P mode.. iso set auto 200 to 800.. flash set to manual pop it up when u want it.. white balance set to auto.. are the important ones..

two things to bear in mind.. auto white balance cant handle tungsten light.. u need to manually set tungsten.. if u use the EV (set a plus or minus ev) button the usefull auto iso function fails and the camera defaults to iso 200 the same as if it were fixed there.. a bug..

trog
01-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Trog, thanks. That's a pretty detailed explanation. I think your outline will get me started in the P mode. It's about time I buckled down and learned this stuff. Gratefully, Freddy.
01-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

what i do freddy with condensed but clearly laid out and usefull snippets of information that might be of furthe use or need to be refered to is copy and past them into a text file (P mode basics.txt) for example and keep it handy on my desktop till i no longer need it..

further information can be easily acquired as and when u need it.. it is best aquired as and when u need it.. too much all at once dosnt help..

thanks for your "thanks"..

trog
01-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Trog, I can't believe it but I spent 30 minutes learning how to adjust P mode indoors, with no flash and it works so much better than relying on automatic.
I set for Tungsten lighting and after a couple of tries realized that without flash I didn't have enough light, so I slowed down the (tv) shutter a bit and it came out brighter. I also played with the saturation. i found that if I just reduced it slightly while in P mode , in the natural setting, and got great result.
Taking saturation down all the way was too much but I love the slightly lower saturation. Everything I shot was still a bit too dark so I raised the "levels" slightly in Adobe Photoshop. Am attaching a picture of fruit bowl I took that I was really please with. Can't wait to try this outdoors in the sunlight.
Trog, thanks to you , Will and Alan I got the encouragement I needed (and a little tushy kicking from Will didn't hurt, either!) and am on my way to becoming a real photographer. Can't wait for delivery of my new pentax 28-105 3.2-4.5.
Warmest regards to all. Freddy

Last edited by fevbusch; 01-31-2007 at 01:12 PM.
01-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

nice picture freddy.. glad we could help..

trog
01-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I can't believe it but I spent 30 minutes learning how to adjust P mode indoors, with no flash and it works so much better than relying on automatic.
Another true believer graduates from automatic. Congrats.

Wow, those bananas look good enough to eat. Nice work.