Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

80% of the brand in the world start as a company. You can name most of the big name outhere. Look at all the brands in automotive, airline industry, appliance , electronics, toys, tools most of them were company bought buy somebody else that fell that will make them a great brand for their own company.

04-16-2014, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DuyNguyen Quote
well i think i just posted a very senseless thread may be ?
Ya think?
04-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ya think?
Yup since this is not even a disscusstion more like a little moment for myself, just wanted to share and see how many people had the same thought
04-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You can be forgiven for being new here, but we really didn't need yet another thread on this topic....

04-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #20

Original Poster
@Tanzer
First, as i said i would love to share my opinion not bringing up a argument.
Second, "forgiven"? Didn't I make my self clear? I ASK what people think of this changes, never said a things about Pentax nor Ricoh products being bad but their marketing tactics.
04-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Second, "forgiven"?
Ah, don't take the old cats too serious ;-)
We're all friends around here, even if the wording sometimes might come across as harsh.
Take it as quarrels between brothers ;-)
04-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #22

Original Poster
@wullemaha
In fact I'm not mad at all just trying to clear things out.

04-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #23
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the way I see it is that Pentax is in good hands with Ricoh. With the current developement in cameraland I don't think that Hoya would have kept it alive for a long time. Also a stand-alone scenario wouldn't have much future with decreasing camerasales (as a whole) in a market where smartphones take over the cameraworld.

My meet in januari:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/248845-ricoh-imaging-europe-s-s-report-meeting.html
04-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@wullemaha
In fact I'm not mad at all just trying to clear things out.
I think the more negative responses might be because we've been over this ground many times already and have moved on. We really don't want to look at what is, to us, the past. We want to talk about the future, which is bright.

If you really wanted to know how people feel (or felt) about this subject you could simply read the myriad posts made on the Ricoh since, oh, 2011.
04-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no problem with Ricoh sticking their name on Pentax bodies as long as they are willing to stick money into the R and D coffers as well to push great new products along.

To me, Ricoh has done an awesome job of taking the Pentax history and vision and continuing to release products that fit well with that. Unlike Hoya, who at best were care takers for awhile, but clearly couldn't have cared less about investing real money into turning out new products -- either glass or bodies.
04-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax on the box means a lot of old boxes filled with laggard products sitting around on back shelves
Ricoh on box means new, industry leading products plus long lost products like the 1.4 TC available.

Let's see...
On one hand Pentax with nothing new versus Ricoh with great new products
Nothing new vs market leading products and protecting my investment in K mount lenses

I'll have to sleep on that overnight.
04-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Fact is, Ricoh is doing some very good things for Pentax. Obvious evidence is the abundance of new and good products. So, selling your soul does certainly have advantages. Just don't hang your identity on a camera brand. There are other more stabile camera brands for that.
04-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's in a name? Not a helluva lot, really. A camera is a tool. Would a Stanley hammer pound in a nail less efficiently if you slapped a "Fisher-Price" sticker on it? No. Anyway, the cameras still say Pentax right on the front. I don't see the problem, and I wouldn't care if they said Ricoh on the front. If it's a good camera, it's a good camera.

This is a dumb thread. There... I said it.
04-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
selling your soul does certainly have advantage
Pentax sold your soul in February, 2006. Or 2001.
04-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I've had Pentax SLR's since 1968. I liked the screw mount cameras and the K series.

I was and am very pleased that Ricoh bought Pentax and I think they've done wonderful things with the brand.

I've got a Pentax K10D, K-m and about 10 Pentax digital lenses...all bought new since Nov. 2007. They all say Pentax....although I'm not sure what my new 18-135mm WR...shipping in from Pentax will say.

Eventually I wouldn't be surprised if I get a Pentax K-3. The fact that it says Pentax on the front...and Ricoh on the back...fine with me.

However I do prefer (strongly) to see the camera equipment to continue to be known as the Pentax brand. With 46 years of Pentax ownership...I suppose I'm a Pentax brand loyalist.